What am I supposed.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What am I supposed.... What am I supposed....

Unread 08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
What am I supposed....

What am I supposed to bring to the hospital for my 2 1/2 day stay?

I have my chap stick, lotion and squishy pillow. What else is good to bring? I'm hoping that the time will pass by (maybe sleep through it all).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
What am I supposed....

I also took a crossword puzzle book and my robe loose fitting clothes for the trip home and my own tooth brush not much for castle toothbrushes. My brush and comb and slippers. I got out the next day so I didn't need some of the stuff but it was nice to have just in case I needed it. If you get cold easy,maybe a small fleece blanket for your legs. Thats all I can think of hope this helps
Unread 08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
What am I supposed....

Click on the checkpoints link on this website for some great ideas. Here's what that link showed for packing:

slippers
- your own night shirt/sleepwear
- oversize cotton panties
- pads
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- shampoo and conditioner
- comb/brush
- facial cleanser
- deodorant/antiperspirant
- lightweight cotton robe
- lotion
- backscratcher
- lip balm
- Phone Calling Card or your cell phone (check hospital policy)
- Tummy Pillow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
What am I supposed....

Hey Sheila...
If you haven't already found it, under the Pre-Op section is a list you can print out entitled "What to bring to the Hospital". I found it very helpful.
I'm working on getting my things together as my trip to the castle is this Friday, 8/11 for a TAH-BSO.
One thing I added since I've already been the hospital route and know how hard it is for me to relax and sleep, is an inexpensive CD player with earplugs. This way I can listen to my favorite CD's which I know will help me relax and pass the time as well!

Many prayers for you and hope you have a speedy recovery...
Take Care,
Kim
Unread 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM
What am I supposed....

I suggest some throat lozenges. Sometimes your throat can get a bit scratchy from the intibation tube. Ear plugs were a blessing to me. A hospital is NEVER a quiet place. I wish I had brought one of those silly sleep masks. The lights also never go off in a hospital and I found that to be bothersome. Other than that.. I think everyone else has given you excellent advice.
Best wishes...

Bonnie
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM
What am I supposed....

Sugar free hard candies were great to have on hand.
Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Deb
Unread 08-07-2006, 01:49 PM
What am I supposed....

My only advice is this: less is definitely more.

About all I could handle for the first couple of days was pushing my pain pump button and running the remote control on the TV. I couldn't have cared less about what I was wearing, or what I looked or smelled like, or what I had to do.

By the time I cared about any of these things, I wanted to be home.

That having been said, about all I used was a small notebook and pen (to jot down questions and start my castle story before I forgot details), toothbrush and toothpaste, lotion, my comb, and a small light-up alarm clock (which was a lifesaver because I'm too nearsighted to see any wall clock). And the third day, I finally read the People magazine I brought to read.

I couldn't wear my slippers (hospital rules -- had to wear theirs), I let them do the laundry (good thing because I had all sorts of nasty stains from who-knows-where all over the hospital gowns and bedclothes), and I was far too tired to even choose a CD for the CD player I brought.

That's just me, though -- other (((sisters))) use lots of stuff in the . Remember, though -- your family members can always bring you things as you need them. to you.
Unread 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
What am I supposed....

I think it depends a lot on what kind of procedure you're supposed to have and how long you expect to be there. I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy planned but knew there was a small chance I would have a TAH and cancer staging. I tried to plan for both.

The things I found most helpful were my CD player and CDs, my nightgown, my fleece throw, my penlight and a pacifier holder. I had brought some guided imagery CDs in addition to my music and found them very helpful both pre-op and post-op. I had had a lot of shivering after my previous laparoscopy and was concerned about that. The fleece helped keep me warm and decreased the shivering. I was able to walk the night of surgery. The nurse helped me into a robe but it obviously was going to be a problem to do that each time I wanted to get up. While I was up, I had him help me into the gown I'd brought. That made it a lot easier. For some reason, there was no light in my room that I could reach from my bed. I had brought a penlight. I also had a pacifier keeper that a sister had recommended to keep the PCA control handy. The nurse had found a good spot on the bedrail for the PCA. I used the pacifier keeper to keep the penlight where I could find it easily. That was very reassuring the night of surgery. If I'd stayed longer, I would have had my family bring in a book light.

Frances

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register