recurrence within 6 mos | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recurrence within 6 mos recurrence within 6 mos

Unread 08-11-2006, 05:13 AM
recurrence within 6 mos

Hello, this is my first post here, though I have lurked quite regularly. I found so many good tips and encouraging words from so many others. I learned just
today of my OV recurrence. I had a full staging hysterectomy including cervix Sept 05, finished 6 treatments of carbo/taxol-last on Mar o6. CA125 was down to 2-it fell very quickly with treatments and stayed down throughout. To be told it was 'significantly'
higher today was quite a shock.My pelvic exam did not reveal any fluid or masses. I am having a CT scan and xray today.
My oncologist gave 4 different possible treatments depending on results and counsel of gynie/surgeon/onc.
1: repeat carbo/taxol (not likely as cancer cells returning tis quickly are probably resistant to c/t)
2: surgery and follow with chemo using another drug
(doesn't think surgery will be practical as cancer may be only small grains on walls of lining
3: induction of chemo INTO (?) the abdominal cavity
4: #3 along with additional chemo using different drugs

Can anyone give me some experience, counsel? I just felt like I am finally getting my life back to order again and here we go for round 2 so soon. I have told my oldest son, and husband of course, since tests and exams are scheduled so soon; but my two youngest will be hyper stressed when they learn mommy is sick again.
My children are 17,7 and 5.

Thanks so much
Faith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2006, 06:25 AM
recurrence within 6 mos

God Bless you, Faith. And that's what you have to find and hold on to..faith that you will beat this thing. I'm so sorry that you have gotten this news, just when things were starting to get back to normal.

I hope they will do a repeat ca-125, pending the ct scan results and all. I dont' know how high yours went, but different things can cause a rise in that ca-125, not just recurrance. Infections, for instance.

There are several options you have. IP therapy is one of the newer options; I dont know the stats on treating recurrance with it, but it's a bright star on the horizon. I know the docs will find the perfect weapon for you to use to battle any rogue cancer cells!

Hopefully, someone will be along shortly to share their experiences with you.

In the meantime, in there!
xoxo
k9
Unread 08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
recurrence within 6 mos

Faith,
I'm sorry to hear your news. I am sure the ladies who've faced an ovarian cancer recurrence will soon come along to share with you. As K/9 points out a CA125 rise does not always signal a recurrence but it is important that your doctors will do further testing soonest. Also glad your oncologist already is thinking of possible treatments; it sounds like you have a solid, intelligent team of doctors on your side. Please let us know how you make out. I'll be keeping you in prayer.
s,
peggiesue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM
recurrence within 6 mos

Faith...sorry to hear. I just had my 3-month checkup for ovarian cancer. Everything checked out fine...but when I asked the question of how a recurrence would be detected, my doc said that first my CA125 would go up...they would watch for patterns within doctor visits (every 3 months), that one high CA125 wouldn't necessarily tell them much until cancer was visibly confirmed via the CT scan. Until they could see it, they wouldn't treat it. She said that the CA125 could rise a little, a little more, double itself, to the point that a pattern is made - as opposed to rising, falling, rising, falling, etc., - and once there was a discernable "rising" pattern, it would raise a red flag that the cancer was returning, but she still wouldn't consider it a recurrence until it was detected on the scan.
SO, that is my 2-cents I guess, perhaps this is something to think about - another blood test and wait for those CT results...and ASK all the questions to your doc.
Incidently, I am also very much aware of what it is like to battle cancer with young children in the household. Mine are currently 5 and 3 years old, and I was diagnosed almost a year ago to the day. It is hard and you need much support...feel free to vent to me or all of us on this site....
Take care and please keep us posted
Pokadot - OVCA Stage IIIC - diagnosed Aug 2005, 8 rounds of carbo/taxol finished in March. 2nd-look Surgery April '06. Dancing with NED
Unread 08-11-2006, 12:15 PM
recurrence within 6 mos

Hi Faith,
Having had recurrances myself I know the feeling.
However, I do agree with K9. Depending on the cat scan findings hopefully a repeat ca125 will be done.
By the way, how high did it go??
Rosalie
Unread 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM
recurrence within 6 mos

Thanks for the input so far, I just returned from the ct scan and won't know anything more until Wed. when my dr has the results. When questioned as to how high my count went, his response was 'significantly'. His suspicion is that a few cancer cells that are resistant to the first treatment with carbo/toxol still remain.

I really do have two of the best docs in our region. I don't have any discomfort with them or their counsel. I spent yesterday sorting through dust collecting piles of paper/mail etc and today aggressively weeded my perrenial garden. I am sure I can find such tasks for each day if the stress returns.

I would like to know what other options or details about the four he discussed with me before I walk into my appt on Wed., though.
Unread 08-11-2006, 01:24 PM
recurrence within 6 mos

Hi Faith,
Poka is right...one rise isn't the red flag, it's the rising trend that generally signifies a recurance. I hope this high one is just a fluke.

As for other options, I meant as far as treatment goes...different drugs, different approaches, etc... you and your doctors will have choices.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your team, and if need be, I know together you will make the best treatment choices available to you and for your particular needs.

in there!
xoxo
k9
Unread 08-11-2006, 01:52 PM
recurrence within 6 mos

(((Faith))))

I'm so sorry to hear you may be dealing with a reoccurence. I finished taxol/carbo in November of 04. September of 05, my CA125 slowly starting inching upwards till it got to 139 from a normal of around 10.

I started single agent carboplatin in Dec. of 05 and finished in April of 06. So far so good.

I hope that your CT scan shows nothing and that this rise in your CA125 ends up to be nothing.

Unread 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey Nut!

Dear Basketnut,
my favorite nut.....

I"m curious...your ca-125 started rising in 9/05....but I can't remember...how long, how many blood tests, did it take to get to 139? It looks like 3 months-ish. I'm trying to remember if you presented with the 'typical' rising, doubling trend. Did it go: 10, 22, 45, 90, 139, for instance?

Thanks,

k9
Unread 08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
recurrence within 6 mos

Hi Faith,

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with a recurrence so soon. I did not respond well to taxol/carbo. My CA125 was rising before I finished all 6 treatments; it rose from 21 to 214 in four months. A golf ball sized tumor was also visible on the CAT scan so I had a second surgery followed by gemzar/cisplatin followed by another recurrence a few months later. I then did 5 treatments of doxil and have just finished IMRT radiation. I'll be having a CAT scan and CA125 Aug 28 to see how well the radiation did in getting rid of the tumor. I don't tell you this to make things scarier for you but to tell you that I have felt quite good most of the time with the exception of a few days after some of the chemo. I certainly hope your rising CA125 is caused from some sort of infection and not a recurrence of cancer. I wish you the best and am so glad you have a good team of doctors working with you.

Hugs and prayers,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register