large Clots ??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

large Clots ??? large Clots ???

Unread 08-12-2006, 02:13 AM
large Clots ???

hi sisters ,Afew months ago ,i suffered awfull cramps,they were the type where you have to put a hot water bottle on yr tum ,andlie on the sofa.Any way a few days later i started passing massive blood clotsabout 4 inches long and about a inch wide.in total i passed about 5 of them,when they came out ,i was absolutly horrified ,(if yr sqeemish,look away now)i put them on a tissue and looked at them, i actually expected them to wave at me ,i could of sworn i saw one wink...any way in my horror and panic i went to the er..the dr just shrugged his shoulders .looked at me a bit weird (i did have them wrapped in clingfilm lol)took my blood pressure .which was very low,and sent me to see the gyny(a few months later)im now having hyst in 4 weeks..Can any one tell me what caused these huge bloodclots.im still perplexed now i have a 5cm fibroid .slight prolapse adhesions,endo .Due to have a tah/bsosept 20thsept.I must also add how much a ol british girl like me really values yr site .Dont know how i would of coped without you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2006, 06:45 AM
large Clots ???

dont know what causes them but they are a common symptom of fibriods i suffered with them for several years assuming that it was my age and part of the menopause(i am now 49). apart from being a nuisance i agree they are unpleasant but dont worry your problem will soon be gone. i am so glad mine has.
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:48 AM
TMI Warning - Icky details to follow

Dolly - I know EXACTLY what you mean. The first time it happened, I thought my organs were falling out!

I've had these monster clots for years. One of my close friends has them too and they are so large that we refer to them as "Stewed Tomatoes." We spend a lot of time together (at work and outside work) and this has come to be our code word for having a clotting episode. I have had days where I cannot get out of the shower because these things just keep coming (really gross because they don't fit down the drain.) I get the heavy gushing of blood with these and NO feminine hygeine product works well enough to avoid soaking through my clothes.

There was another thread about this here recently and one of the sisters had me rolling on the floor laughing with her description and commentary. We are not alone! I picked the name "Ready2Go" because I cannot wait for my date with the castle. At this point, I am considering changing my name to "BeyondReady"! I have been bleeding this time(with the monster clots) since June 26 with only two short breaks - one for 10 days, one for two days.

Soon, we'll be on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2006, 06:55 AM
large Clots ???

even though i am post op your symptons seem so much further away than six weeks. i wish i'd found this site years ago knowing how common it was i probably would of gone for this years ago. count down the days to freedom.
Unread 08-12-2006, 08:40 PM
large Clots ???

I was passing massive clots in May --- size of oranges every 15-20 min. for hours until doc in ER gave me prescription... I'm on a waitlist for hyst. now and should have a tentative date Monday. Doc says it is ANOVULATION where you don't ovulate every month, and when the endometrial lining finally builds up too much ---- you get the huge clots. Mine are without warning and not at the same time as my period.
Unread 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM
large Clots ???

Luckily I never had the monster clot problem but my sister in law did. She had been complaining about clots for a few months and no one really thought anything of it. She said they were getting worse and getting bigger. Still no one thought much about it, including her. She finally had one that she described as feeling like she was giving birth again. She went to the ER that day. They looked at different things and finally told her she had fibroids and needed a hyster very soon. They told her that her uterus was the size of a 6 month pregnancy!! She wondered why her clothes didn't fit but she wasn't gaining weight. She had a TAH in April of 1997 and has been great since then. After her recovery and all the swelly belly went away, she had to buy new clothes since the ones she was wearing pre op were about 3 sizes too big.

Good luck to you!!! I will be sending wishes for a speedy recovery for you!
Unread 08-13-2006, 03:42 PM
large Clots ???

Hi Dolly! I googled "menstrual clots"-got some really odd sites-but found what I was looking for:

"Dark, chunky clots of blood can be perfectly normal. Many women get them during their menstrual period when they have days of heavy cramping and heavy bleeding. Your body usually makes things called "anti-coagulants," that keep your blood from clotting as it moves to your vagina and out of your body. But during days of heavy bleeding and cramping, your body is pushing blood so quickly out of you that your body does not have time to release these anti-coagulants. Your blood then clots. If you have clots that are bigger than a quarter, it is a good idea to talk with your health care provider."

This is from youngwomenshealth.org .
It seems, also, that fibroids, endometriosis, and andenomysis can cause clots. In my case it was adenomyosis. I had increasing numbers of increasingly larger clots. And it felt like labour before I passed the clots. Not fun and I am so glad its done now.
Sometimes it takes a trip to the ER with the "evidence" to show the docs that its not all in your head. Worked wonders for my DD and she finally got a gyne consult. Fortunately my doc was more understanding and sent me straight for tests and a trip to the gyne.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register