1 week home from castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week home from castle 1 week home from castle

Unread 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM
1 week home from castle

This is the first day I actually feel able to sit at the computer and also first time I feel like writing, part of it may be due to the percs and pain and the other part, numbing my feelings about the whole idea of losing my family jewels.

The whole castle experience is a blur. Even with morphine I was still in pain so they also gave me toradol.
My second day, my crit was down to 17 (suppose to around 30), so I had a blood transfusion of 2 pints of blood. My BP was extremely low 60/40. I ended up puking all over myself lucky for me the 11pm-7am nurse and CNA were wonderful, they tore off all the soaked nightgown, linens etc.. cleaned me up in no time. All modesty out the window. Due to the Blood transfusion given to me during this shift, they had to wake me every half hour to check my vitals. I got no sleep. So on the 3rd day I slept most of the day, and the Day nurse who I did not like at all, she had not one once of compassion..(more later on her) had told me "I couldn't sleep all day and had to get up at least once to walk" well that is fine but to put it that way "I can't sleep all day" Hello I just had a blood tranfusion last night and puked and had no sleep!

I had difficulty breathing, and had an inhaler when I requested it it took the day nurse 1 1/2hours to get it to me after I asked a 2nd time... ugh hello respitory distress here!! and when she told me I had to eat something, I told her I would try jello, she again took over an hour after a 2nd reminder I finally got it!

On the 3rd day I had the worste migraine of my life, and they had taken me off the morphine, so they gave me a shot of something with a "D" (can't remember the name of it). My roomate was an older woman who had a hip replacement and she had about 5 visitors at one time all yacking loudly and I laid there with a pillow over my head, of course a migrane everything sounds louder.

I originally was to be discharged on thurs but due to the blood transfusion I had to stay til friday. My doc showed up at 7am, (I just love and trust him) he said he wanted to keep me Friday too! I begged him pleeaase let me go home! he asked if I was sure? and if I changed my mind I could stay, he also asked if I had someone at home with me. A friend from NH had planned to come fri-sun. so I was all set and discharged by 11am on Friday... yipee! I couldn't get home soon enough... the plastic smelling pillows and bed were killing me, I wanted my comfy bed/pillows.

I had two small incision on each side of my vagina where he put the hammock in for the euretha, a 12" incision, he said due to the size of the uterus. He said it was huge filled with fibroids (size of 6mo pregnant woman). He also had to to a pelvic reconstruct due to taking the cervix, and fix the hyrnia I had from previous surgery.

Now, I am a true princess because I have never had any weird skin breakouts my whole life, and I came home and freaked with some rash on my neck and on each side of my inner thigh. I guess due to sweat making skin raw so it's been a week home and it's just starting to clear up.

Other than the hospital experience I have been doing well at home, napping, and 2 very short walks a day (Belly Band helps alot with that), and a BM a day (yeah!! thanks to prune juice and stool softner). I still don't have an appetite living on fruit, cottage cheese, triscuits and jello! Hoping I will drop the 30lbs I needed. but the scale has gone up 10lbs and doc said due to endema from blood transfusion (which had my feet looking like flinstone chubby feet..ha ha ha). I have had right sided pain, bladder spasm, and incision is seeping, again doc said this was all normal healing. My two week check up is on the 17th.

I have been home alone and done ok, the biggest pain is when you get yourself situated and then realize you forgot something and have to get back up..ugh! I have had a few people able to periodically pop in to make store run, do dishes, and help where needed usually only for 1/2h each day, but that has been a blessing if I hd totally noone at all to check on me.

Well this is long, and think I have sat enough... Thanks to everyone for your supportive words.. can't wait to get back to hystersisters more often.

hugs...Vickie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2006, 06:09 PM
1 week home from castle

Vickie: First I am glad you are home and healing. I am sorry your castle experience left something to be desired. And as for that nurse, I am sorry you had to endure her, she doesn't deserve the right to call herself a nurse and there is no excuse for treating you that way, when you had such a rough night! I am a nurse, and I try to always be sympathetic to the nurses when I am in for surgery because I know they are busy, but there is a limit and she behaved inappropriately.I would have rang that call bell until it drove her crazy if she made me wait for my inhalor! So sorry for you!
But now you are home, and please remember to accept all offers of help, this is no time to be too independent or stubborn, and mostly remember to rest and pamper! Please keep us posted about your continued recovery. Sending you warm wishes for a very speedy recovery and of course another
Unread 08-12-2006, 07:22 PM
1 week home from castle

I have been wondering how everything went for you. Glad to hear you are making progress. Remember to Now get back to bed!

Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
1 week home from castle

Thanks for the update! So sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant experience at the castle, but glad you are home and doing well. Take it ewasy, get your rest, and post again when you feel up to it.
Unread 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM
1 week home from castle

Welcome home! Sorry there were some problem's at the castle,but now you can rest easy knowing it's done and over with.Rest and pamper the
Unread 08-12-2006, 10:21 PM
1 week home from castle

Sorry to hear about your "day nurse" problem, but glad your home and doing well. Remember to rest and drink plenty of fluids!
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:24 PM
1 week home from castle

Oh my. I am glad you are home now and healing well. Continue to rest and feel better.
Unread 08-13-2006, 04:50 AM
1 week home from castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgtigger
Now, I am a true princess because I have never had any weird skin breakouts my whole life, and I came home and freaked with some rash on my neck and on each side of my inner thigh. I guess due to sweat making skin raw so it's been a week home and it's just starting to clear up.

hugs...Vickie

It might be from sweating but it also might be a reaction to the morphine or the Dalaudin (probably the other 'D' they gave you for pain). You might mention it, even if it is cleared up, at your post op.

Julie
Unread 08-13-2006, 02:05 PM
1 week home from castle

Welcome home!! It gets better from here on in. Little by little, every day you'll feel a bit better! Take care of yourself!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register