Factor V | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Factor V

Found out last week I need a hyster due to endometriosis, which I never knew I had. Dr. recommends taking out ovaries. I'm concerned about surgi meno 'cuz I cannot use hormones due to a blood clotting gene (Factor V). Never had a clot, but they won't give me hormones. Anyone else have this gene and successfully manage meno symptoms? My youngest is only 6. Don't want him growing up thinking "my mom's a B***h cuz of mood swings and the like. Just worried about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Factor V

Hi Charlotte,
I had a TAH in 2003 and have not taken any hormones due to endo and family history of cancer. I have hot flashes, mood swings, insomnia but I have heard many people take the hot flash "cocktail". It is a bunch of different vitamins. My son is 14 so he thinks I'm a b***h anyway!
Unread 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Factor V

Hello Charlotte, I was on ert, but had to go off for a while due to endo possibly comming back on my intestine. My biggest problems are hot flashes and brain fog, some days are worse than others. My friend who did the same thing said the worst of it was over in a month. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Factor V

charlotte, forgive me for asking, but did you have a laparoscopy to confirm that you had endo? Did your doctor mention any other less radical treatments to try first, such as Lupron or laser surgery to remove the endo (I realize bcps are not an option for you)? Or are there other reproductive problems that you already had to lead you to having a hysterectomy? It always bothers me when a doctor mentions hysterectomy as the first treatment for a disease or problem (unless it is cancer). Hysterectomy is a major surgery and should always be the last resort. I hope I am not stepping over the line here but it does concern me, especially with your risk factors and inability to use hormones. Have you sought out a second opinion or asked your doctor what you should do if you can't take hormones? there is probably a lot more to your story than I know about, but I am just going on what you shared.

That said, if you do go through with it and can't take hormones, there are non hormonal options such as antidepressants (the SSRIs can help reduce the intensity of hot flashes and stabilize your moods) or non estrogenic herbs (you would want to avoid the phytoestrogens such as soy, estrovan etc..as they have estrogenic properties). Here are a few links to help you out a little:
http://NoLinks.blogspot.com/2006/03/...ns-no-hrt.html
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_menopause.htm (scroll about halfway down page)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12321423/site/newsweek/ (mentions antidepressants helping with hotflashes and other techniques to use)

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte1
Found out last week I need a hyster due to endometriosis, which I never knew I had. Dr. recommends taking out ovaries. I'm concerned about surgi meno 'cuz I cannot use hormones due to a blood clotting gene (Factor V). Never had a clot, but they won't give me hormones. Anyone else have this gene and successfully manage meno symptoms? My youngest is only 6. Don't want him growing up thinking "my mom's a B***h cuz of mood swings and the like. Just worried about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register