post op bleeding, for how long?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op bleeding, for how long?? post op bleeding, for how long??

Unread 08-14-2006, 05:10 PM
post op bleeding, for how long??

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since my vaginal hysterectomy and rectocele repair...my question is how long does post op bleeding last? I am finding there is still enough bleeding to need a pad...sometimes I just need a panty linner...the bleeding is usually light pink, but sometimes a littler darker red....but would not consider it hard bleeding. Sometimes it feels a little itchy where the rectocele repair was done.....I had seen my GYN 2 weeks post op....he found a slight infection and gave me meds. to clear it up during that 2 week visit....then he said, "see you in a year"..... I started bleeding heavier at the 4 week mark with little clots....called GYN and I was told I was probably over doing things and to just stay off my feet...which I did...the clots stopped...however, the light bleeding continues.....so how long is normal for light bleeding?
Thanks everyone...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2006, 11:17 PM

I am almost 5 weeks out and I still have a slight discharge. Sometimes it is brownish in color and other times it is pink. The dr. said I would know if I was over doing it by the amount and color of my discharge. After I get off of my feet the dischage goes away. I can't believe you don't see your dr. again until next year. I see mine on Sept. 5th and that has given me a sense of peace knowing that I will have another check up before being released to full duty status.
Good Luck for a speedy recovery. Just take it easier!
Unread 08-16-2006, 02:03 PM

I am also 5 weeks post-op and have not really seen much of a discharge until Monday - kind of clear, but now today it is pink. Kind of freaks me out that at 5 weeks this is starting. I have a call into the Dr even though the sheets they gave me say that there can be spotting for 6 weeks, I just want to make sure everything is ok. Strange thing is, not really staining the mini pad, but when I wipe, it is on the tissue. I really haven't been doing that much, I am a couch potato!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 02:07 PM

My Dr. said to expect bleeding for 4-6 weeks, I bled for 8 1/2.
Unread 08-16-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting. This is not my post, but I have been questioning this all day. I am 5 1/2 weeks still spotting, this has been very reassuring.

Renda
Unread 08-16-2006, 09:02 PM

I had some spotting until about the 6 week mark. After that, nothing.

I believe it's normal to have some discharge for up to 6 weeks. I would be concerned if it got heavier. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.
Unread 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Went to the Dr today - she asked me if I was more active. I have been trying to walk more. She said that because you are on your feet more, gravity takes over and that is why I am seeing the discharge more now. She said it was normal and that it can be anything from clear & watery, to yellow, to pink and may also look like mucus. All normal. She did a check and said my incision looked good and she could see some discharge - no signs of any infection. I told her I was concerned because I haven't seen this before and she said it was OK to call and come in to be checked. Many women do the same - better safe than sorry. Unless you are soaking a pad, not to worry. Whew. She told me at this point I can go shopping and drive. No cleared for sex or baths until the discharge stops.
Unread 08-17-2006, 07:09 PM

I was having the brownish discharge at 7 weeks still, and the dr. said to reduce my activity level. So for about 4 days I really took it easy - no extra walking ( for excercize at all). That really helped. I didn't really feel like I was overdoing it, but the discharge got a lot lighter. After that I started having a yellow discharge - not a lot, but enough that I had to wear a panti liner all of the time. I went to the dr. Monday (almost 9 weeks). She said the vaginal cuff was still healing. She cautheterized it and it's better, but I'm still having some discharge. She said it will heal, but it just takes time.
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:50 PM

I'm 10 days post op and I've been having brownish discharge for the last few days. Sounds like I'm doing to much although I feel like I'm going to loose my mind to boredom! I can describe every crack on my living room and bedroom ceilings! It looks like the incision I have in my naval (I had a TLH/BOS) is infected. I'm going to see my Dr. in the morning. I'm sure he's sick of me by now, every few days I call and ask him some more questions.
Unread 08-18-2006, 01:18 AM

I had some for 6-7 weeks. Dr said it would go when the stitches were out. I saw three on toilet tissue, I guess there must have been more, that's when it stopped. Only worry if it's gets heavy or smelly or has clots.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register