biopsy for endometrial cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

biopsy for endometrial cancer? biopsy for endometrial cancer?

Unread 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
biopsy for endometrial cancer?

anyone know info about endometrial biopsy for cancer detection, i am about to have my lap. hyster next week and the doc wanted to do another bx , this week prior to the surg. ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Try this link...

Hi,
I'm not certain exactly what type of info you want. Here's a link that might help:
http://www.webmd.com/hw/healthy_women/hw4583.asp

Mine was done a couple of weeks before surgery and came back as cancer so the dx was known ahead of time.

If you're asking about the procedure...?
My GP told me to take four Ibuprofin an hour before the procedure. However, before doing this, you need to ask your doctor about the kind of medicine and the dosage that is safe for you.
Doing that helped me to go into the procedure more relaxed because I felt like it would cut down on pain. I'm a huge wimp.
It was relatively quick and basically painless but I did have to keep reminding myself to relax and not tense up.

Other women have been prescribed different medicines prior to the procedure so it is important to ask your doctor what you should take.

Is this what you're asking?
Unread 08-15-2006, 06:52 AM

Hello Debstra,

to Cancer Concerns. We'll try to help.

Are you asking because your doctor suspects it might be endometrial cancer? Knowing whether you have an early stage of cancer makes a difference in who performs your hysterectomy surgery. If there is a cancer diagnosis in a biopsy or D&C, then a gynecological oncologist is the recommended surgeon in order to obtain a full surgical cancer staging (stage, grade, washings, lymph nodes, etc).

Please let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 12:07 PM

If the biopsy can help with further staging and their approach as to how and who does the operation, that is a good thing. Like Murky mentioned, it can determine if you will get a Gyn/Onc to do your surgery. If there is any question about the prior biopsy (depending on how long ago it was) I would imagine they would have done a D & C to check it our further. To be honest, my biopsy in March came back hyperplasia w/atypia (precancer, which still indicated a hysterectomy for me), and my D & C the next month in April came back adeno-carcinoma, most likely stage 1. That made the difference of having a regular gyn surgeon or a gyn-onc do my surgery and further staging. (There are probably gyn surgeons that are just as qualified to do this, but it would be a good thing to know ahead of time.)

My biopsy was not horribly painful, just a bit crampy to the point of "ok, you can stop now"... and then it was over. I think double checking is a good thing! Good luck to you!
Unread 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Hi:

I recall the biopsy as being a little painful, but it was over quite quickly. It is done in the doctor's office. You might want to ask about a painkiller or even a valium.

I think that on the slim chance that it comed back positive for cancer, they might want to do other tests before the surgery. In my case, a 2nd lab reviewed the slides and there was also a pre-op abdominal/pelvic CT scan.

As others have said, if there's any possibility there is cancer, it is best to have a gyn/oncologist involved if at all possible. They are the ones who best know how to remove the cancer safely and perform the staging procedures.

I hope all of this is theoretical in your case, and the biopsy comes back clear.

Regards, Blue.
Unread 08-17-2006, 08:18 AM

It would feel like a very bad cramp- a very bad one. The doctor will tell you that but it goes real quick. When I had it done, my doctor was guiding me when I will be feeling the cramp and she had one of the nurse so I could hold her hand when the cramp was happening and then you walk out not feeling anything. She did tell me to take Tylenol or Advil though if the cramping continues.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register