Had my last treatment.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had my last treatment.. Had my last treatment..

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Had my last treatment..

I thought I would be totally jumping for joy!!! ANd I was, actually....until...car ride with mom. I have been so excited, happy, energized just knowing today is my LAST treatment. NO MORE! I had ins agents calling me at work saying "LAST DAY TODAY!!!" My neighbor across the street started the day out with a "You're ALL DONE TODAY!!"

SO what on earth could ruin that? My mother.

We get in the car after treatment. I tell her how they did the port dressing (I went in for that before treatment) smaller and down lower so the dress should *definately* cover it now. Once again she brings up the question of if the doc will remove the port in the office. This convo happens at least every-other-day.

Me: no, she told them she wants to take it out in the OR
Mom: was that when she was joking around with you the other day?
Me (getting irritated): No, this was last week when they talked to her while she was on vacation. She wants to do it in the OR.
Mom: She's probibly thinking you'll spazz out.
Me: I don't really care WHY she said no, she said no and that's it.

UGH!! My mom brings this up CONTINUALLY and it ALWAYS goes back to how I first reacted when the doc mentioned removing the port in the office. She keeps telling me that if I didn't get so freaked out then I probibly would have to wait until Sept. I'm sorry but the thought of them taking it out while I'm sitting there freaked me out!

Not to mention my mom has talked to some of her nurse friends who have agreed that going into the OR is the better way to go. They've explained how the skin and nerves inside can grow around or attach to the tubes under the skin. How it *could* be painful should a nerve be attached and to heave them pull it out....

But no....that's not a good enough reason for her. No, it's MY fault I have to wait. Like I WANT the keep this freaking thing in for another 3-4 weeks.

ANywho that lovely little convo just completely removed all the joy I had at finishing treatment. She said (before the convo) that she was coming to my house after work and we'd get dinner to celebrate. We were also picking up my sister after work. I thought cool Sit down and celebrate with the family. Then she mentions going to *her* favorite restaraunt. I tell her that I'd rather not (their food never settles right with me to begin with...much less after all this). I started thinking of cooking something (hello mom, I DO have food here). But since the convo neither of us said much on the way home. She dropped me off and said my sister prrobibly had to get home so she wasn't coming in.

Fine. Whatever. Thanks for ruining my celebration day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Had my last treatment..

Don't let anyone ruin this day for you!!!! I am so happy you finished treatment. Just tell mom outright, hey , it's my body here.

Personally, I don't think I would get my port out in the office. Much rather have them do it in the OR.

Now, make yourself a gooooodddd meal, enjoy not having to worry about chemo and radiation anymore, and let it out!!! YIPEEEEEE! YOU'RE DONE!!!!!
Unread 08-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Had my last treatment..

I agree with willtowin, celebrate, your treatment is done!!! Hooray For you!! You did it! I do understand how you feel, your mum should have been more sensitive to your feelings. But You have been through so much. Be Happy!!!!

Congratulations!!

Rosemary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Had my last treatment..

I've been following your journey and yea!!! you are done. Good for you!! Don't let Mom rain on your parade.... YOU have much to be happy about. By the way, I would have port taken out in OR also. I was going to ask about that if I have to have one because they took my father in laws out in office and it was a big ouch for him. It's your body --- you have endured a lot --- so you have the right to "have it your way". I hope you celebrate lots and lots!
Unread 08-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Had my last treatment..

I tried to celebrate...but it kinda ***** to be missing the one person that helped me through this the most. I went over to see my brother and played Uno wit my nephew for a while. Made plans to go look at furniture (for my moms new house) with my sister and my sister-in-law tomorrow.

Ran into my ex bf's dad...which was cool. He and I were really close, to the point people thought we were involved. (the dad and I lol) I'm still friends with his son. When the dad heard of my diagnosis he told my mom he could've been knocked over with a feather. (he's friends with my brother also) My ex called me prior to surgery too. I have to say of all the people it was hardest to talk to him about it. When we dated his kids were 6 months and 18 months old. He had custody of them so guess who took care of them?? After a year and a half together...well my ex knew better than anybody how much I wanted kids. It's been 10 years since we broke up, but my first questions are always about the boys.

Anywho, now I'm sitting here alone again...wondering if my mom is going to call to pray with me like she's been doing every night....or not.
Unread 08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Had my last treatment..

Congratulations, Vega. You've come a long way. Plan something special tomorrow and have your own celebration. You deserve it.
Unread 08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Had my last treatment..

I joined hystersisters in June. I have also followed your posts during this time. You have gone through so much more that alot of us. I love my mom very much, but she can walk into a room a change my mood from good to bad so easily. She keeps bring up that at one point in pre-op I started to cry because I was scared. It was the only time I cried, but it's what she wants to talk about. I don't mean to go one about myself. I want you to know you are not the only one out there with a mom who can drive you nuts. You know your body the best. You tell the dr what you want and don't want. Right now you should be celebrating. You have a great reason too.

Best of Luck and keep a postive attitude.
TVH kept ovaries
Unread 08-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Had my last treatment..

Vega, you're wonderful and don't you forget it.

As for your mom, well I don't know. I think the stress of all this does funny things to people.

Z x
Unread 08-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Had my last treatment..

Me again,

tanrat has got it totally right, i am 51 and i am very close to my mother, we see each other 3 times a week but she can walk into my house and change my mood with a single remark!!

I think because we know each other so well (same as you and your mum) we also know how to press the wrong buttons even if it is done unconsciously. i'm sure your mum didn't set out to spoil your day.

I hope she phoned you last night.

Be happy! I'ts all Done!

Rosemary
Unread 08-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Had my last treatment..

Hi Vega,
This is your time to celebrate and be happy! Don't let anyone spoil that for you. You've paid your dues and now it's time to celebrate! Maybe it is some comfort to know that we are celebrating with you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register