Anyone had success with Weight Watchers after post op weight gain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had success with Weight Watchers after post op weight gain? Anyone had success with Weight Watchers after post op weight gain?

Unread 08-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Anyone had success with Weight Watchers after post op weight gain?

I need advice and I know there are so many that are like myself and having the weight gain problem. I to date have gained 20 to 25 pounds varies from day to day. Once I was 150 and thought I was very over weight went to Weight Watcher and lost in no time. I try to follow that now but I don't go to meetings and weigh in and I don't count everything I guess I half-way follow it.
BUT please I know there are so many that have such great advice, if anyone has been on Weight Watchers the true way and lost weight since surgery could you please share your story with me?
There are meeting here where I live and I would go to them and do the program if it would work, but if the HRT and being in surgical menopause is the cause of the weight gain I just am afraid I will be this way the rest of my life and that Weight Watchers would not work for me.
I am 45 and I have been divorced for 4 years I really can't see myself trying to date again with all this weight I have gained my self esteem is very LOW
PLEASE if anyone of you can share some advice I would be so grateful
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2006, 08:10 PM

I too would like to know if WW helped anyone aftery a hyster. and going into menopause completely including losing ovaries.
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:20 PM

I hope someone comes along to give us some great news....
This has been so hard on me, much worse than I ever expected. I have looked into other diet programs and to me the Weight Watchers is the best I have found, I just hope someone can give us advice as to if we will be able to lose now.
Good to hear from you
Take Care
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Weight Watchers works

I was doing Weight Watchers before my surgery and the couple of weeks after my surgery I didn't do well at all. I ate what my family fixed for me which was never on my diet! But then I got right back on it and I am losing again. I have lost 17 pounds in all since I joined. Most of which was lost before my surgery, but I am losing again at 3 weeks post surgery. I highly recommend you join again. It has greatly increased my self-esteem. Going to the meetings keeps me on track. If it weren't for the meetings, I probably would have fallen off the wagon!
Unread 08-23-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekay
I need advice and I know there are so many that are like myself and having the weight gain problem. I to date have gained 20 to 25 pounds varies from day to day. Once I was 150 and thought I was very over weight went to Weight Watcher and lost in no time. I try to follow that now but I don't go to meetings and weigh in and I don't count everything I guess I half-way follow it.
BUT please I know there are so many that have such great advice, if anyone has been on Weight Watchers the true way and lost weight since surgery could you please share your story with me?
There are meeting here where I live and I would go to them and do the program if it would work, but if the HRT and being in surgical menopause is the cause of the weight gain I just am afraid I will be this way the rest of my life and that Weight Watchers would not work for me.
I am 45 and I have been divorced for 4 years I really can't see myself trying to date again with all this weight I have gained my self esteem is very LOW
PLEASE if anyone of you can share some advice I would be so grateful
Kay
BlueKay,
I am 38 and I have used WW and found its a great way to lose weight, even post op. However, remember your body is still healing and needs a well balance of food to heal properly. You can also use WW online, no meetings to attend and you weigh in on your home scale. You can enter your food choices each day on the site and it calculates the points for you. For those with very busy lives and don't have time for WW meetings this is a good alternative. Since surgery I have not gone on a diet and have lost 12 pounds, have just tried to incorporate more fresh fruits, veggies, whole gains and lean meats along with lots of water and low impact exercise. I try to stay away from the refined sugars (sweets and alcohol). Its a lifestyle change but I think its worth the effort. Yes, I do eat sweets and have a glass of wine at least once a week, I just don't make it a daily habit. You can lose weight again and yes ERT has been shown to cause weight gain, but it you really pay attention to your diet and what you eat this shouldn't be a problem. You won't change your eating and exercising habits overnight, but if you incorporate small changes each day you will be surprised at the changes over the next few weeks. This has worked for me and may not work for everyone, but worth a try. Good luck.
Unread 08-23-2006, 09:04 AM

Just remember that protein is very important so you need to have plenty for your body to heal. Also, try really hard not to eat at night...I noticed I went back to that post-op and once I stopped eating at night I started losing weight again. WW is what lead me to lose 30 pounds before my surgery so I just try to apply the same principals (or is it principles?) in my everyday eating.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly but I want you to know I have faith in you and know that you can do anything you put your mind to! Do you have a friend that would join with you? You could also sign up online and do all your daily journalling online...that helped me tons! That and online is less expensive than going to meetings although lots of people say they need the person to person contact of going to a meeting.

Wow, that just totally ran out of me! If you'd like to talk you can PM me anytime!
Unread 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM

I lost weight very successfully on weightwatchers after a very early natural menopause and whilst on HRT. I found the program really does work if you keep to it and the very sensible balanced eating regime that it recommends. And do keep up those daily walks!
Good luck!
Unread 08-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Thanks to all that responded,
I think I will join the meetings, I try to follow it myself but I don't count everything the way I should and don't eat all the right things in a day I should, I skip meals and that's not good, don't get enough exercise. And I am sure the meetings will be more helpful and maybe keep me motivated.
This weight has caused many problems for me, my legs hurt more at the end of a work day from carrying around this extra baggage.
Good Luck to all you that are battling the weight problems and I will keep you posted as to how I am doing after my meetings start. Hope I can be off work in time to catch the Sat one if not I will be off Tuesday and another meets that evening.
Thanks everyone you ladies have been my rock for the past 18 months.
Hugs to all
Kay
Unread 08-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Weight Watchers Coupon in the mail

Hey Sisters,
I just received the mail and in it was a Weight Watchers coupon so I am on my way to the next meeting
TO all that have shared info with me you ladies are GREAT
Kay
Unread 08-23-2006, 10:21 PM

Hi Ladies,
I have been put on to a product by my Dr called xenical. Its not a food supressant it works by blocking a third of the fat that you consume. You have one at each main meal. It actually teaches you what you can and cant eat by your stools. If they are exceptionally fatty or oily, you have eaten something high in fat. If they are fairly normal you have been very good throughout the day.
It only takes two weeks to see a noticable differance because your body starts to use the fat already in your body for the energy it requires.
So if you also walk or exercise somehow your body will use more of it.
I think in America you need a prescription, over here in Australia you dont.
Hope this helps, it is easier than counting calories and teaches you good eating habits just the same.
Good luck to you all...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register