Has Anyone Had Radio Frequency Lesioning? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has Anyone Had Radio Frequency Lesioning? Has Anyone Had Radio Frequency Lesioning?

Unread 08-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Has Anyone Had Radio Frequency Lesioning?

I was wondering if any sisters have had experience with radio frequency lesioning for pain management. I had an appointment today for what I thought would be a second trigger point injection. The pain management Dr thought that since I only had 2 days of pain relief with the last trigger point injection that he would try this technique instead to see if it helps.
I really can't explain exactly what the procedure was because the way I was positioned I couldn't see anything so if anyone can explain it better than the Dr did I would be so grateful. All I know is that he injected Lidocaine to numb my lower right abdomen. He then alternated between poking me with a needle and then taking an x-ray to find the exact spot of my pain. Whenever I told him he was right at the spot the nurse turned on the radio frequency in an attempt to "burn" the nerve. It felt like the tingling of a tens unit but instead of the feeling being in that spot where my pain is it would travel lower and into my groin instead so I'm not sure if this is going to work at all. However this procedure left me with about a dozen needle sticks all of which continued to bleed out onto my underwear after I left the hospital and a bruise the size of a man's fist which hurts like the dickens!
So if any of you can shed some light on this procedure for me I would appreciate it!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM

I am scheduled to have the procedure done on my right side on Sept 21 following successful identification of the involved nerve via a diagnostic nerve block last week. They could not "find" the nerve on my left side so no radio-frequency ablation yet for that side. From what I understand, they don't really destroy the nerve itself but the procedure does something to the mylin sheath which surrounds the nerve so that painful impulses can't reach you for a period of up to 18 months. I initially thought the procedure was permanent but then the doctor's assistant told me that it was not permanent, but that it was the longest-acting treatment available for nerve pain. Most of the patients who were having it the day I arrived for my nerve block were getting it done in their spine due to back pain. I sent a PM to one woman who had it done and she felt it really helped her so I was inspired. Your story leaves me feeling doubtful and frightened. I know that I am feeling worse overall following the diagnostic nerve block because they simuluated all my little nerves with an electrical current to find the right one and then the block only lasted like 3-4 hours. The nerves are still really aggravated . So, I don't have any great insight to offer you at this time but I am (selfishly) interested in how you are progressing to see how the recovery is. For example, can you go to work tomorrow? Did they give you pain pills? Do you need them? I get the sense that this is the hottest new medical procedure under the sun for nerve pain. Hope all goes well with your recovery and that you'll keep us posted.
Unread 08-23-2006, 07:01 AM

Hi Lisa, my anesthesiologist told me this was an old procedure that is gaining renewed interest because it is safe and not really invasive. I happen to have the day off today but am going into the office for about an hour to meet with a patient for a consult. Otherwise I would have no problem returning to work today. I am sore and have a huge bruise about the size of a man's fist where the lesioning was done. There is some purple-ish/red streaking through it and I wonder if that's where the radio frequency traveled through the skin. I can't tell yet if this has relieved the pain as I am still numb from the Lidocaine that was injected before and after the procedure. I wasn't given any additional pain meds and so far I have not needed to take anything.
Don't be nervous. The worst it felt like was being pricked by a needle, though I must admit being pricked more than a dozen times was no fun. Whatever you do don't wear nice underwear, even though they cleaned me up after the procedure some of those needle sticks were still bleeding and I got spots of blood on my underwear and one spot that leaked through to my pants.
Please let me know how your procedure goes, I too am interested in your outcome.
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Michelle,
I had not heard of this, I do hope it works for you. I did a search of this forum and found a few posts where it was mentioned, but not from anyone that had actually had it done.

Chronic Pain Mgmt

This post has a pretty good link about the procedure:
Chronic Pain Options

Do keep us posted on how this is working for you.

Lauralis, please keep us posted also.
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:39 PM

Kim, thank you for the links, they were very educational. I'm not sure if radio frequency lesioning was the answer for my pain yet. I am most uncomfortable right now because of this very large bruise from the procedure. It is about the size of a man's fist and is so dark it almost looks black with very deep scarlet streaks through it. Thank heavens I work with a great group of nurses as they are monitoring the bruise to be sure it doesn't turn into a cellulitis. It hurts to even have my pants on over the bruise but I have no choice, I can't go to work naked!!
Michelle
Unread 08-26-2006, 10:57 PM
radiofrequency lesioning

There are two types of RF. One is traditional RF where the nerve is destroyed through heat. Not recommended as the nerve will regrow and often the ensuing pain is worse. The other type is "pulsed RF" where the nerve is only slightly warmed and this type can be useful if done with fluoroscopy. I was scheduled to have this done when my PMD left the practice so I have not done it. That's all I know. Shelley
Unread 09-01-2006, 07:06 PM

It has been nearly 2 weeks since the procedure so I thought I would update. The bruise increased to about the size of an outstretched hand and was totally black with dark crimson streaking through it. Every once in awhile for the next week or so I would have some blood spotting on my clothing where the needle sticks were. The area was sore but not painful and the bruise is just starting to fade in color. I still have some pain in the lower right abdomen, it seems much more sharp and I am more aware of it when I get the pain but it is happening less frequently than before. Who knows, maybe something is finally working!
Michelle
Unread 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the update. I had an appt with my PM doctor this week and asked him about what to expect from it. He said that although he did not think that it would provide 100% pain relief, that I should note some improvement from it. Now he wants to post-pone my scheduled RF treatment and put an injection in my back first. He says that there is an area in the back that, if inflamed, can cause pelvic pain . I never heard of this but I agreed to the back treatment. I'm not overly optimistic that an injection in my back is going to cure my intense pelvic pain, but then again I'm not a doctor. I hope that all continues to go well with your healing and that you'll keep us posted!
Unread 09-02-2006, 09:38 AM

Lauralis, I had the same nerve block in February. It was an Epidural nerve block to S1/S2, T11/T12. It didn't do anything to decrease my pain but at least we were able to rule out that cause for my abdominal pain. For you it certainly is worth a try. It is not a painful procedure, just uncomfortable and for some reason whenever I have a nerve block it affects my right leg. I end up having numbness, weakness and tingling for a day or so. Good luck and please keep me posted on how your procedure goes.
Michelle
Unread 09-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Lisa and Michelle,

I am very curious how your treatments are going. I am on that treck I think if I can get to the right dr (BTW)Lisa, I am from Maryland too, could you send me a private email and let me know what pain med dr you are seeing and if you like them. I am at a loss where to go next. This past week I went to see the plastic surgeon my ab surgeon sent me too, with no real hope that he would be able to do anything and it would definitely be surgery if I went that way. My pain is very internal, feels like a sharp toothache pain going down what feels like the side of my vagina toward the rectum and inner thigh, (then I have cramps like I used to have with my periods and awful backaches). Do any of you feel your pain in the same areas? anyway since my pain is so internal, he didn't think the procedure he does would help, he does a surgical procedure where he cuts the nerves that effect more of the superficial nerves closer to the skin level.

Michelle, what kind of dr did this particular procedure for you?

I am determined not to give up until I find relief some where.

Hugs to all,
Lenee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register