is recovery similar to c-section recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is recovery similar to c-section recovery? is recovery similar to c-section recovery?

Unread 08-24-2006, 11:48 AM
is recovery similar to c-section recovery?

My TAH is scheduled for Sept 28. For those of you out there is the post-op pain/recovery similar to that of a c-section? I've had two of those and I'm thinking if I could come home and care for a newborn I should be able to do this. Just curious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2006, 12:34 PM

I can't answer your question yet, but I had two c-sections and recovery was very easy. My castle date is Sept. 13, so I'll let you know how it goes!
Unread 08-24-2006, 12:42 PM

I hope it is the same i had 3 of those and if it is it will be a breeze. I go in on the 28th of Augest and i will let you know.
Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2006, 12:53 PM

I have also had 3 c-sections and hoped that it would be the same.

I've been told not to expect it to be the same!!! From what I have learned here it's not.

I don't know yet. My TAH/BSO is scheduled for 9/22/06.

Good luck.
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM

I had a c section 7 years ago which caused scar tissue to form which my uterus then stuck to which is why I needed a tah besides the fibroids and cysts. I had my surgery 3 months ago. It took longer to recover from the TAH than the c section. I was more tired. It takes a lot out of you. It could be the joy of having a newborn that makes it seem like it isn't that bad, I'm not sure. Just don't be expecting to jump right up and get back to business. You need to take things slow and let your family and friends take care of things, especially if any of your babies are still little. Stay away from the vacuum cleaners, brooms and mops! I mopped my floor after the c section, no problem. After the TAH, I was on the couch for a day. All I can say is pamper yourselves before and after your visits to the castle. You'll feel so much better, it's just going to take awhile and don't give yourself a timetable. Everyone heals at their own pace! Good Luck and Best Wishes to you all!
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangrif65
I had a c section 7 years ago which caused scar tissue to form which my uterus then stuck to which is why I needed a tah besides the fibroids and cysts. I had my surgery 3 months ago. It took longer to recover from the TAH than the c section. I was more tired. It takes a lot out of you. It could be the joy of having a newborn that makes it seem like it isn't that bad, I'm not sure. Just don't be expecting to jump right up and get back to business. You need to take things slow and let your family and friends take care of things, especially if any of your babies are still little. Stay away from the vacuum cleaners, brooms and mops! I mopped my floor after the c section, no problem. After the TAH, I was on the couch for a day. All I can say is pamper yourselves before and after your visits to the castle. You'll feel so much better, it's just going to take awhile and don't give yourself a timetable. Everyone heals at their own pace! Good Luck and Best Wishes to you all!
Can I ask you another question? Is your incision from your hysterectomy the same one as your c-section?
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:33 PM

I am going to be cut on the same incision. I really did not want another scar. It bugged me a lot so I talked to my dr about that.
Unread 08-24-2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks! I'm going to make the same request. And to have stitches again and not staples. I had stitches with both c-sections too.
Unread 08-24-2006, 02:23 PM

TAH recovery is a lot different than c-sections (I had 2). So many stitches internally need to heal, organs are removed, and the ones that are left shift to find their new spot. The incision feels the same (mine went in thru my scar, and used dissolvable stitches to close), and you can start to feel pretty good at two weeks. But the difference comes when you start to do things you used to do. It can hurt, just walking around in a store, or pushing an almost empty shopping cart. Take things slower during recovery until you find out what your pain point is. There is a 6 week recovery time for a reason-and you will need most or all of it-and some even need more.
Unread 08-24-2006, 03:35 PM

I'm home today from my tah/bso on 8/21. I also had 2 c-sections. this is definetely a harder recovery and more painful. I did have adhesions that my gyn said was difficult to get through and my bladder was adhered to my uterus and they had to be separated. I was also found to have endometriosis. I did have significant blood loss but did not require a transfusion. my doc did not require a bowel prep but i did it anyways and was glad I did because she kept saying how amazed she was how fast my bowel function returned and hence a timely d/c form the castle. I do find that I have to take more pain meds than i did with my c-sections and am much more fatigued. I plan on recovering slowly because I don't want to risk any more scar tissue develping than necessary. hope this helps. good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register