General Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General Questions General Questions

Unread 05-17-2001, 09:36 AM
General Questions

I am having a LAVH-BSO, have not gotten a date however...waiting for insurance..should hear something today or tomorrow. I was in quite a bit of shock when dd told me it was time for the big H. Did not ask any questions. (have a large list for pre-op appt) I have gotten such great information from reading all the posts and all the pull downs. But, my question is why vaginal vs. abdominal? the size of uterus and fibroids? My endo is what scares me the most. With the vaginal can they still check all the insides as good? I am concerned with the bowels as in the last 4 years I have had tons of problems and I just want to make sure that he does his best to get it all. Also he said that I would go on HRT right away. I have read a lot on here about waiting to make sure the endo dies off. Should I insist on this? I could not see going through all this and it continues to grow anyway. The waiting awhile to take the HRT seems like the smarter choice. Also I live in a two-story home, my bedroom is upstairs, should I not stay up there for awhile. My son has a room down stairs that I can move into if I need to, my dd did not say anything about stairs and I did not ask. Like I said I do not have a date as of yet, but the way they talk when the autho. is here it will be a week or two away at the most. Thanks so much for all the great info. I can hardly get any work done (at work) cause I just have to read all I can to soothe the nerves. Thanks Again Lori and also I am in Bakersfield, CA if anyone would like to email me from this area...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2001, 10:01 AM
General Questions

With LAVH they'll have laparoscopic cameras in your abdomen and should be able to see pretty well. Is your surgeon very good at finding and treating endo on the bowel? My surgeon is but had a general surgeon standing by on my last laparoscopy (before my hyst) just in case.

Some surgeons can do almost any surgery that would normally require abdominal via LAVH--depends on how much time they want to spend in there (and how long they want you under anesthesia) and their specific training and experience. Laparoscopic sugery is truly an art and some people only used it for limited applications. I think it is size that is the limiting factor.

I would suggest you make sure your doctor is very good at recognizing endo and removes all the endo he finds instead of ONLY counting on the estrogen starvation to kill it off. And search for posts by Adrite; she has a lot of information on endometriosis.

I stayed upstairs (where the bathroom is) and my husband brought me my meals the first few days, but really I could have taken the stairs once or twice a day if I had to. Slowly.

I hope this helps!
Unread 05-17-2001, 10:14 AM
General Questions

Thanks so much I will definately have to add this to my list of questions for the dd. He told me at my visit last week that he would not do mime without the Lap. because mine was not reachable with the last lap. it was behind the uterus. But he also told me that he had a very severe case the week before (did not know til he was in there) and did not use a lap. and cut into her bowel. so now he is to worried to do it without. that kinda scares me. I really like and trust this dr. he is also a few of my friends doc. we have all suffered since we started our periods and he is the first doc. to diagnose each of us and help us in the ways we each needed as we all had seperate issues. He is the first doc. not to tell me to see a shrink that it was all in my head! Gotta love him for that. He also recently went out on his own to get away from the managed care systems so that he can do more to help! I will definately make sure that he is comfortable with the removing from bowels and such...thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2001, 12:18 PM
General Questions

Dear Lori, I can't help you with your precedure because I had a tah/bso but steps can be tricky. My doctor said twice a day only. I have a dog in live in apts so I need to use them. Where ever you decide to rest for the first few days make sure it is close to a bathroom and that you are in a pretty enviroment. Those walls get to you after a while Good luck in your upcoming procedure. Diane
Unread 05-17-2001, 03:56 PM
I am having abdomen bikini cut

My dr said that he could not do lap on my for my hysterectomy because of the endo...he said it was safer and easier to try to save one over (get all endo and fibrods off it) as well as the bowel. I had a c section and he said he is gonna cut along the same line so I wont have another scar. I have heard that having hysterectomy by lap is quicker recovery wise, but in my case I am glad he is doing an abdomen cut if it is safer and easier for him.
Unread 05-17-2001, 04:10 PM
General Questions

he is actually going to do it vaginally but assisted by lap. I did not even know until finding this page that they can actually do a hyst, with a lap. amazing how they can get things out of those tiny little holes..i would have went with vag. or abdom. which ever he wanted to do...just get this pain out of me...but i am glad i can do the vag. because i think that i can get back to work sooner. I have a 14 year old dd that has diabetes and she has racked up the doc. bills the last two years and I cannot afford to take anytime off. i have two weeks vacation and a week of sick time and i am gonna try to come back when that is used up...just found out about an hour ago that my doc. is not actually on my provider list. I guess the ins. company did not do enough checking. They called to tell me that my final bill will be about 1800 bucks my part...i freaked..but my dh said he did not care if it was 18000 that it needed to be done and he would work it out. I am also going to sign up for disability, and if I can come back great and if i cant then i will have that to fall back on...just want to be normal again, if i even remember what that feels like Thanks so much for the replys
Unread 05-17-2001, 04:15 PM
General Questions

Hi Lorilou,

I'm from Bakersfield, too. This is a great site, isn't it? Tons of info! Like you, I'm pretty preoccupied with the Big H. I don't want to sound like a broken record at work, so I try not to talk about it as much as I think about it, know what I mean? I have adenomyosis and am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on June 7th at Mercy SW - 21 days and counting. Want to exchange email addresses?
Unread 05-17-2001, 04:30 PM
sure Debbie

I do not have a date, as I said and I am hoping for Mercy SW, but they said it will take a lot longer. I only live a couple of blocks from there, so that would be more convenient. that is where i had my lap too. I will prob end up at mem. but owell, we'll see. This is a wonderful site, I cannot stop reading..learning so much from it. I had never heard of adeno. before this site. just endo... my email address is [email protected]..thanks Lori
Unread 05-17-2001, 05:03 PM
General Questions

Lorilou,

FYI...I sent an email to your aol address. Let's talk :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register