Premarin Cream v. Premarin pills | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Premarin Cream v. Premarin pills Premarin Cream v. Premarin pills

Unread 08-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Premarin Cream v. Premarin pills

Anyone have any input or opinions on what is a better form of premarin? The cream? The pills? Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of each? Thanks in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2006, 02:15 AM

Hi The two forms of Premarin are not substitutes for each other. The cream is used vaginally, and only helps with vaginal dryness. The pills are systemic HRT and will help with hot flashes and other general menopausal symptoms. Many women use both.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-28-2006, 05:03 PM

Ah, I see now. Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM

I am on CLimara patch 0.06 and my dr also gave me Premarin Cream for dryness. Although my pharmacist said it takes care of all of the same symptoms and serves the same purpose of the patch. I dont know. All I know is I dont have hot flashes!!
Unread 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM

I'm on the highest dose of Premarin in pill form. However, it doesn't control the hot flashes AT ALL. I'm still having them. As for the dryness, only the cream seems to help that. BUT I was given samples of the cream in place of the pills. *shrugs* Go figure!
Unread 08-29-2006, 05:39 PM

Hi!

It makes no sense to me that you would be given Premarin vaginal cream to use in place of Premarin pills. I do understand it being prescribed in addition to the Premarin. As (((Linda))) said, one does not substitute for the other. The two do not equate in the amounts of estrogen.

Many of us in the Jungle, including me, use both systemic estrogen and vaginal estrogen. Managing surgical menopause with the low dose of estrogen in the vaginal estrogen products isn't going to be effective.

If you have been on the highest dose of Premarin for a reasonable amount of time, say, at least several weeks, then perhaps Premarin isn't the right hormone therapy for you. There are a lot of other choices so you don't have to stick with something which isn't effective.

To review possible options to discuss with your doctor, check out articles #10 - 13 in this link to the Hormone Jungle Articles.

I hope you get some relief soon!

s
Unread 08-30-2006, 05:47 AM

The package insert of premarin cream shows detailed information of hormone level tests. They indicate that 1gr. of cream is equal to .625 pill and that the estrogen actually goes systemic. The tests shows the duration, amt and length of time that women are on the product (just like other estrogen product graphs). According to the manufacturer it is an equivalent product. Personally, I have used it and realize that it isnt although I do get some systemic effects.

Vagifem also has the same info in their package insert but their tests indicate that vagifem is systemically absorbed at a very low amt compared to the premarin cream (the two are actually compared in studies).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register