Anyone else extremely obese? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else extremely obese? Anyone else extremely obese?

Unread 09-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Anyone else extremely obese?

I am 5'2" and 260lbs. I carry a lot of that in my stomach and my rear, so am very worried about what recovery is going to be for me. The surgery is a month away, and probably is going to be abdominal. Considering that I wear size 28 pants you can imagine how deep that incision is going to be. Has anyone been in this same situation? Any tips or hints I need to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Hi Lindy,

I am over weight too by 100 lbs. Most people really never believe it when they see me, but I know I am. I voiced my concern about going through surgery here, and had other girls say it's not any different than a thin person and they did fine. So from what I've learned here, you'll do just fine.

I am having a LAVH and if it can't be done a TAH. So I'll be surprised tomorrow what I wake up with.

Good luck to you. You'll do fine!!!!! I'm sure other over weight sisters will come out and reassure you too.

Hugs
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:18 PM

I am close to the same weight and height as you, and my dr told me at my pre-op on Friday that she would leave the staples in longer because of my weight (normally 4 days, 7 for me). She said there was a greater chance of the incision pulling open because of the weight factor. Otherwise, she did not mention any other problems because of my weight. Do you have other health factors that might cause problems? I have high blood pressure but it is currently under control. I am supposed to take my bp meds the am of surgery with as little water as possible (TAV/BSO Sept. 13). I had hoped to have the horizontal incision, but I was told that wasn't an option because of the size of my ovarian cyst and the slight possibility it may be cancerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM

I am almost 3 weeks post-op for a TAH/Appendectomy and I'm 5'7" and my pre-surgery weight was 216. I have been carrying most of my weight in my stomach, due mainly to my enlarged uterus and lack of interest in exercise due to my host of gynocological problems.

Anyway, since the surgery I still have a lot of pain(toward the end of the day) and incredible waves of tiredness and I think it has a lot to do with my belly weight causing stress and strain on my incision.

My best advice is for you to expect to take a while recovering and don't push yourself too hard. Also...don't be afraid to ask for help!
Best wishes for a smooth experience!
Unread 09-05-2006, 09:23 PM

That is my biggest concern being 130lbs overweight. My ONC/GYN wants me to meet with an Internal Medicine Doctor on 9-11 due to the excess weight, PCOS(which causes inuslin resistance), asthma and the fact that my mom has hypertension even though my BP is normal (without meds). I am very concerned about the surgery in general due to my size. I have to keep telling myself that my mom was 300+lbs and she smokes, drinks, has hypertension and is 17 years older than me. My asthma and weight are the only two problems I have (or at least know about). My ONC/GYN is also concerned as to whether or not they can do an epidural on me since I had 3 herniated discs in 2000 they were L3,L4 & S1. So I will find out the 11th what is in store for me. My ONC/GYN said I might have to have heparin during surgery and at home after. I have never had to give myself shots before that will be hard. I hope I don't have to have them.
Unread 09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Heparin

Do keep an eye on the site of the heparin injection, especially if they give it to you in the thighs or the tummy. If you have any sign of skin irritation, call it to the attention of the nurses and doctors right away. Occasionally it causes skin necrosis. Happened to me, and it's not fun.

Jes
Unread 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Along with my hysterectomy, my surgeons also performed a panniculectomy to remove some excess skin and fat. (I was 5'2" and 285 pounds when I had my surgery almost 2 years ago.) This added procedure made my abdomen more accessible to the surgeons and aided in healing.

The extra procedure cost $7100 and it wasn't covered by insurance - ironically because I wasn't fat enough! I love that one.

Anyhow, my docs didn't really treat me any different -- they were very respectful of me. They did tell me that there was a chance I might end up in the ICU for a night if I showed signs of sleep apena (didn't happen ), that I had a 40-60% chance of getting a wound healing problem such as infection or lack of healing at all (didn't happen ), and that there was a good chance my recovery would be slower and harder because of the weight. (Really, I didn't notice this, but I did notice that it took a very long time before I didn't get really tired during the day.)

I did have a hematoma post-op, but they are caused by trauma to the surgery site, not by being overweight.

Just make sure you have plenty of help so you can pamper yourself as you recover. We're all here for you every step of the way.
Unread 09-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Jessie thanks for the heads up about the heparin.

MJ,
WOW I can't beliveve they wouldn't cover the panniculectomy. Although I think it would be beneficial to have I am not sure I could afford to have one if insurance doesn't cover it. Did you know ahead of time in order to get pre-cert clearance or did you find out they didn't cover it until after the fact?
Unread 09-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Hell0, I too am over weight. I had my hyst. august 1st. Had a hard time. I have always had a struggle with weight. Mostly stomach area. I always looked pregnant even though I never was able to have children. A year ago I weighed 280 and 5'11. Yes I am tall which is a good thing for me cuz I don't always look the real weight. Finally I started exercising last year and lost 60 lbs. before surgery. down to 220 lbs. I still hav allot to go. But I did notice last year when I had a laparoscopy to unclog fallopian tubes and remove cysts I was in the worst pain ever. After I started eating healthy and exercising and lost about 40lbs. at that time I had another surgery removing left fallopian tube and ovary, and this surgery went perfect. No pain at all, yet it was a bigger surgery. My doc. said it did help being haelthier. I know how hard it is to loose weight because for me to even loose any weight I had to exercie 5x a week and be on a high protien diet because of p.c.o.s. I hope your hyst. goes verry well and that you will recover quickly.............Love angel_eyes
Unread 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM

Well, I am very overweight, 70 or so lbs and I think I had one of the easiest recoveries. I felt better a few days out than I did a few day before. At one month, I'd say I was completely normal. I was definitely concerned about my weight effecting things, but it didn't seem to have anything to do with it, thank God!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register