One week Post Op - my experience so far | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week Post Op - my experience so far One week Post Op - my experience so far

Unread 09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
One week Post Op - my experience so far

Hello to all of you! I just can't tell you how helpful and comforting this website has been!!!

Last Wednesday, I had a lapro-assisted total hyst that was "converted" (is that the right word?!) into a full abdominal after the first 2 cameras went in. My uterus was much larger than my doctor had estimated - my primary problem was numerous fibroids - and a new cyst had shown up on one of my ovaries since my last ultrasound 2 months ago. So he did the abdominal incision in order to test the organs as he went, etc.

Everything tested out ok (benign), so that was a relief. When I woke up in the recovery room I think I knew right away - the second thing I said to my husband (after "Hi"!) was "What did they do to me?"!!! I think he was really worried I was going to be disappointed that I had the larger incision, etc. I was just relieved that they didn't find any cancer. I never wear a bikini anyway.

So I spent 2 nights in the hospital. By far the most discomfort I had was from my BACK! My lower back and hips were killing me! I hate to think of the crazy contortions they had me in during this longer-than-planned surgery. Ow!!!!

By the second day, my back was feeling quite a bit better. I woke up from surgery with one of those tummy binders on which I have continued to wear most of the time. At this point, the incision is just really "tight" and sore/uncomfortable. I go in tomorrow to get the staples removed (yeah!!!).

All in all I am feeling much better than I expected after 1 week. Probably shouldn't say that . . . I will jinx myself and feel like crap tomorrow now!

Thanks so much for all of the information and comfort you all provide. I will definitely recommend this site to others. By the way, isn't it shocking how many women have had hysts? Once I started talking to women at work, etc., about my planned surgery, it seemed like just about every other woman I talked to has already had one. Nuts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2006, 08:43 AM

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I had a TAH on Aug 22 so I'm 2 weeks post op. I find it strange but my doctor did not bind me. I bought one but really haven't used it. Take care of yourself and don't do anything for the first week. I agree with you that this website is wonderful.
Unread 09-06-2006, 08:57 AM

What a relief that everything tested benign. I had a TAH last Monday, and I'm feeling great, too. I also have a binder, which I alternate with my swellybelly band. My back was also killing me, but once I was able to get up and move around, it got better. I'm not a good person at sitting still, so the first few days were more troublesome in that aspect. I haven't had anything stronger than Tylenol since Monday. Take care of yourself, get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids , don't rush your recovery, and make sure to have everyone pamper you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2006, 09:31 AM

tomorrow I will be 2 weeks post op. They converted my surgery midway from LAVH to TAH also. So waking up was a surprise for me as well . The extra time for surgery and the open incision was for endo. I recovering well. Had steri-strips not staples and a horizontal incision. The only pain I have is when I first get up (everything feels gelatinous and like it wants to fall down inside!) and when I have a BM, which i guess is normal. I've been taking it very slow and easy. I usually walk 3-4 miles fast per day prior to surgery, but decided I was not going to push it. Endo and surgical adhesions can form from internal bleeding from going too fast too soon. I have the time off, and will l pamper myself for as long as I can . If I try to do a few things I shouldn't, my husband reminds me to slow down and that I'm not in a contest. So, take it slow, drink your water, walk a bit, do some reading, tv watching , computer surfing. Just take it easy and pamper the princess!!!
Unread 09-06-2006, 09:41 AM

Hi,

I am glad your feeling good. What a relief that everything tested benign!

My friend at work had her hyst because of cancer. I was surprised how many people had hyst too. I was already in the hospital very sick when I found out I had to get a hyst to save my life. After the DR told me one of the nurses on day staff in the ICU waited for all the DRs to clear and came in and held my had and cried with me and told me her story of getting a hyst when she was 30. Then after my surgery my night ICU nurse told me of her story and loosing her ovaries! It was wonderful support. And this site is wonderful, great, fantastic not enough words to describe!!!

Happy healing and best to you.
Trish.
Unread 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM

I am also one week and one day post op. I also was " converted", seems I had endo , adhesions. Although the original plan was to keep both my ovarys, she had to remove the left one due to serious endo. I spwnt extra 2 days in hospital due to lossing so much blood, seems my Doctor had alot of trouble keeping the bleeding under control. I have no history of any bleeding problems. I also could not tolerate the push button "morphine", and I also had severe swelling in both my hands and arms from the IV,causing them not to be able to find a vein, but all in all I'm feeling OK, just very tired achy.
Unread 09-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Five days through

September 1st, I had my schueduled total Hysterectomy if that is what it is called. The primary reason was a friable cervix which was terribly mishapen and enlarged, plus cysts in the uterus and years of polycystic ovaries. Everything was taken and has been biopsied but the doctor does not suspect cancer as I had surgery in April and had all sorts of biopsies then in which all was benign.

What I don't like about this experience is losing control over my life for several weeks. I suppose it is a lesson I need to learn the hard way. I also mourn the loss of my own hormones which at age 52, were on their way out anyway. I am on a low dose of estrogen and testosterone as I want to feel as close to "normal" as I can.

I can put up with just about any physical discomfort. It is the psychological upheaval I can't take.

I stayed one extra day at the hospital due to fever and the inability to get some fluid out of my lungs. Anybody who is about to go through this: do the breathing exercises religiously even though that is the last thing you want to do. As soon as I started breathing into that device every hour on the hour, my lungs cleared and I was able to go home.

I tried to be a hero yesterday without pain meds. That was the wrong thing to do. I overdid it and was in pain by the evening. I take one dose of oxycodone at night and one in the morning. I sleep for hours but when I awaken I have energy and feel much better. I am going to let nature take its time.

I am so glad somebody turned me onto this site.
Unread 09-06-2006, 03:51 PM

Your 2 days ahead and for similar circumstances my surgery was converted as well. My staples came out the morning of day 3 and let me tell you, the nurse had told me but I wasn't sure, I felt like a different person the moment they came out. I didn't have a binder but things have been ok.

Hoping your recovery continues smooth. I worried about the staples coming out but I only 'felt' one and even that wasn't a big deal. My Dr thought it was funny that with major surgery, my 3 worries throughout have been:

1. The needle on the Lupron injection (looked so scary, no big deal)
2. The catherater (I thought it would feel weird, couldn't feel it)
3. The staples coming out (thought would be very painful, more so in)

Julie
Unread 09-06-2006, 04:11 PM

I had my total abdominal hyst on Monday the 28th so I am 12 days post-op....I spent three nights in the hospital surgery took longer than planned due to the adhesions on my uterus....I had my 30 staples out yesterday and I really dont feel great...I have fevers and cold sweats and generally very tired...today a little weepy....I have my ovaries still....just weird.....will be glad to get this healing part past me so I can resume my life!!!!!!!!!
Unread 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Dear Laughnowcrylater and jbleyzz and everbody else!

I thought I would feel empty inside this new cavity. I still feel the same pulling pains on my right "shadow" of an ovary and bowel area. I assume it's because that is where the doc was messing around. I look forward to a pain free life without female reproductive organs. I will be very disappointed if I still feel phantom pains there. Why would that be so?

I did not have anything to keep my belly muscles in shape. They did feel very gellatenous and my stomach was distended but the swelling has now gone down. Someone I met had a hysterectomy a few months ago. She swears by: mixing apricot juice in water. She says it keeps the bowels moving and the discomfort away.

The crying jags and sweats. I hope they go away for you. I am on HRT. It helps me a lot.

bodyandsoul

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register