Adenocarcinoma of the cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenocarcinoma of the cervix Adenocarcinoma of the cervix

Unread 09-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Adenocarcinoma of the cervix

I was reading the other thread regarding the HPV vaccine and wanted to post something about adenocarcinoma based on some things I read in that thread. I will leave out my personal thoughts on the vaccine ads as it is an emotional issue.

However, I feel compelled to clear up some information that was relayed in that thread. I am a cancer epidemiologist, so my job is to study the causes of cancer.

Scientifically, there is absolutely no question that the majority of cervical adenocarcinomas (as well as squamous cells carcinomas) are caused by HPV. In fact, when the vaccine was tested, it was 100% effective at preventing adenocarcinoma as well as squamous cell carcinoma in women who were given the vaccine.

There was some question in the past regarding the role of HPV in adenocarcinoma. However, it is now thought that HPV may simply be more difficult to DETECT in adenocarcinomas.

Further, while the rates of adenocarcinoma are in fact rising, it is thought to be due in large part to diagnostic bias. In other words, due to improvements in technology and other changes, it is now easier to diagnose adenocarcinoma than it was in the past. Because we can now diagnose it, there appear to be more cases, while in fact it is likely that there are the same number of cases as there have always been. It's just that now they can be diagnosed as such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2006, 11:04 PM

Very interesting! Thank you.

One question, what were cervical adenocarcinomas diagnosed as in the past? Or were those cases simply not diagnosed as anything?

I searched a good bit on this issue and found that while squamous cell cervical cancer is decreasing, adenocarcinoma is increasing. Can you explain that? Is it because adeno was simply not found in the past? It just seems that both should be decreasing since we have better ways to detect both. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Janie
Unread 09-08-2006, 11:14 PM

Good question. Cervical adenocarcinomas may have been diagnosed as squamous cell before there was a clear category for adenocarcinoma, or they may not have had any designation at all...just "cervical cancer".

The issue that you have brought up-that squamous cell appears to be decreasing while adenocarcinoma is increasing, is very strong support of diagnostic bias. Squamous cell has historically been easier to diagnose. Therefore, if someone had both squamous cell and adenocarcinoma, it would have been easy to see the squamous only and it would have been categorized as such. Also, awareness of a new diagnosis makes one more likely to look carefully for it--in this case, to look more carefully for adenocarcinoma.

Now that we can more clearly diagnose adenocarcinoma, the rates of squamous APPEAR to be decreasing and adenocarcinoma APPEARS to be increasing. This is not to say that the rates of adeno are definitely NOT rising due to some other cause, just that changes in diagnostic methodology is strongly suspected to have some role.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2006, 01:07 AM

Very interesting! Adeno seems to happening more to young women. I rarely see a young woman with squamous cell cancer. In the last year or so, it's all adeno for the younger women, women in their 20's and 30's. Or so it seems on the internet. Obviously I don't know what is causing it. Nor did my radiation oncologist. I have been reading that adenocarcinoma does not have as favorable prognosis as squamous cell. That makes some sense to me because adeno is found up in the glands and squamous cell sits right on the cervix, making it easy to see and treat. But I'm guessing.

Is the thin prep making a big difference in finding adenocarcinoma?

Does HPV cause uterine adenocarcinoma also?

Thanks so much for all the information.
Janie
Unread 09-09-2006, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the info, Chicklet. Question: Has any research been done to determine why so few people (3%) who have HPV (75% of the pop.) go on to develop cancer? Thanks!
Unread 09-09-2006, 09:50 AM

Janie-

I am not sure of the rates of squamous cell vs. adenocarcinoma in young women vs. older women. I will try to read up on that if I get a chance. For what it's worth, when I was diagnosed with adeno I asked my gyn/onc (who is also my colleague; makes for somewhat embarrassing cafeteria encounters, lol) if he thought we could/should try to get a study funded to look at possible different risk factors for adeno. Things like smoking, use of birth control, etc. He replied that he didn't think it would get funded because the main causative agent (HPV) had already been discovered. He was the first one who mentioned to me that the rise in adenocarcinoma might be due to diagnostic bias, and that's what got me reading. Just some food for thought.

What interesting is that it used to be believed that adeno had a worse prognosis than squamous, but more recent data indicates that if they are caught at the same stage, they have the same prognosis. As you pointed out, what was probably happening in the past is that squamous cell was easier to see and detect, and could be removed before it grew; while adeno was more difficult to detect and therefore wasn't diagnosed until it was further advanced. Therefore, it appeared to have a worse prognosis but it was really a stage-at-diagnosis phenomenon. (Clear cell adenocarcinoma is excluded from any and all discussion because it has it own set of causes and characteristics!).

I read an article not too long ago saying that thin prep may indeed improve diagnostic rates for adeno. The current thinking is that HPV does NOT cause uterine cancers of any type (unless they spread from the cervix).

Ann-oh boy, yes, there has been a lot of research in the area. I've seen your posts and I know you are aware of some of the hypotheses. One theory is that women who were younger when they were exposed to HPV are at higher risk because their tissue is more susceptible. Another is that compromised immune function may allow for infection (thus the link with smoking). There is tons of work going on in biochemistry and molecular biology right now. If I get a chance to do a lit search and find some more information I'll get back to you.
Unread 09-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet
The current thinking is that HPV does NOT cause uterine cancers of any type (unless they spread from the cervix).
I wanted to add a comment to the above statement.

If cervical cancer spreads from the cervix to the uterus, it is still cervical cancer, not uterine cancer. The cancer does not become uterine cancer because the tumor has invaded the uterus.

MoeKay
Unread 09-09-2006, 02:21 PM

Of course, Moekay.
Unread 09-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Even though I am an endo cancer survivor, this has been very interesting reading for me. Thanks for starting this threat, chicklet.
Unread 09-09-2006, 04:56 PM

That was kind of you to say! I'm glad you found it interesting. I bore my poor husband to tears with geek speak!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register