Fighting to Keep Ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fighting to Keep Ovaries Fighting to Keep Ovaries

Unread 09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Fighting to Keep Ovaries

I had a TAH in Feb. and kept both ovaries which appeared normal at the time of surgery except for some adhesions to the bowel. Five months later I developed complex cysts on both ovaries. They are stable/slightly enlarging. My dr. seems to think they are endo. and wants to remove both ovaries. I got a second opinion from another gynecologist who suggested just removing the cysts and seeing what happens. The laprascopy is scheduled for next week. My dr. is not thrilled about removing just the cysts but will honor my desire to keep my ovaries if possible. I am 34 and my question is....what are the odds that he will take the ovaries anyway? We discussed that he would attempt to take just the cysts but would have to make that decision while he is in there? He seems to be confused by my desire to not have to start HRT at my age. BTW--I am confused by the whole endo. thing. When they did my hysterectomy there was only a small piece of endo on my bowel and now it is all over my ovaries. Any insights as to why endo. would suddenly appear at my age? I thought it was a progressive disease that generally started in your 20's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Fighting to Keep Ovaries

there is alot of info on endo and hyst. I had my TAH on 8/1 due to endo. Hyst is not a cure, and if doc does not get all the endo (sometimes microscopic) it can regenerate due to the estrogen in our body it feeds off of. That is my fear of the endo coming back. Also even after hysterectomy keeping ovaries (which I did also) they only have a 3-5 year lifespan after hystectomy. I'm 39 and was most afraid of going on hormone therapy.... I wish you the best outcome! Keep us posted.
Unread 09-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Fighting to Keep Ovaries

I had a RSO done in November along with a cyst removed from my left ovary. My doctor knew I wanted to keep my ovaries before the surgery. (We had discussed my wishes before my hyst in Jan 05. I knew the right ovary had to go because it was twisted up in adhesions and the complex cyst kept growing. During the removal of the cyst from the left ovary, my doctor told me that she was having trouble getting the left ovary to stitch closed. She said she would try another stitch but if it didn't work she would have to remove it. (BTW I was awake for the surgery so we could discuss what was happening) Fortunately for me it held. I have had a cyst on the left ovary since last December but it has remained stable in size. I plan to keep it for as long as possible.
If you are not comfortable with your doctor honoring your wishes go to another doctor. You need to have confidence that your doctor will try to save the ovaries. It's not to late to postpone the surgery so you can find someone else. Don't wait and possibly regret your decision.
Best wishes,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Fighting to Keep Ovaries

(ANED)
I fought to keep my left ovary. I was told by my favorite doctor I needed to have both out. I was not reay to go into surgical menopause. Or any menopuse for that matter, that is why I have always turned down the use of Lupron.
I have cyst on my left ovary that we are watching, and if the times comes to need it removed, I will be doing some heavy thinking!
Lupron is a good choice for some, it has worked for many people to help get rid of the endo temporarly. Have you been asked to try Lupron yet?
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Fighting to Keep Ovaries

Thanks for your replies. I go for my pre-op tomorrow. Today, I received a copy of the letter the gyncecologist I consulted for my second opinion sent to my surgeon. Among her suggestions, she also stated that due to my age (34) there was a small risk of ovarian cancer, but if the cysts grow the ovaries should definitely be biopsied. You think???? If there is even a small risk that this is cancer, I definitely want them looked at. I really think I will come home from the hospital next week minus at least one ovary if not both of them.
Unread 09-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Fighting to Keep Ovaries

Okay, pre-op ultrasound showed that the cysts on the left side had doubled in size in less than two weeks. The ones on the right are somewhat larger as well. The surgery is scheduled as a laparoscopy. Hopefully, the will be able to remove just the cysts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register