Back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-20-2001, 01:39 PM
Back to work

Just started back to work 1/2 days this week. This was at 8 weeks post op. I have a real physical job and am trying to take it easy and just do what I can fit in in four hours. I have had to let alot of things go at the job and deligate the heavy things for the guys to do. That is the hard part. I woke up for the 5 th day and almost couldn't get out of bed to go. It is rough! I'm trying to rest up this weekend as I have one more 1/2 days week to go but still have lot's to do at home and have a horse to clean up after. My family has been good about helping me with the heavier chores but they will not do them forever! Has anyone else gone back to a real physical job after a TAH/BSO after 7 weeks and how long was it till you could do most of your duties? I don't have a sit down job. Most things I'm responsible for weight atleast 35 lbs. and most weigh more. I get a burning sensation in my abs most days right now and get very tired after working only 4 hours. I have been walking for excercise for a few weeks now and am wondering when I can try to strengthen my ab muscles. I don't want to rush those but will need them soon! Most people say it should be months before you pick up 35 lbs. I don't think my job will let me do that for long! Any ideas ladies? Thanks for suggestions or comments. This website has helped me so much! Hope everyone heals up well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2001, 03:09 PM
Back to work

Dorrie,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties at work. Is there any way you can sit with a heating pad during your break periods? I have a sit-down job, went back to work at 4 weeks, and my heating pad is my best friend! I also think it serves to remind my co-workers that I'm still healing.

Check with your doctor before you begin exercising those abs! You wouldn't want to damage anything your doctor did by stressing them too soon.

Take extra special care of yourself when you get home at night.
Unread 05-20-2001, 03:52 PM
Starting work

Tho I haven't had my appt. at the castle yet (5/25) it sounds like you are "pushing the envelope" with your work.....from all the posts, I'm preparing for a little longer than the 6 weeks recovery. Tho you're at 8 weeks the difference is your type of job!!! Please be careful because you sure don't want to wind up with permanent problems because of not recovering sufficiently before starting work. Wish you could work out something with your job.

I'm very nervous about my surgery but know it certainly needs to be done and it could be much worse!!!

Hang in there and know we're all behind you and hoping for the best for you.

Hugs,
Sheilac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2001, 07:00 PM
Back to work

First I know a job is very important. But, you really have to consider the rest of your life. You see, if you push yourself back into a different situation because of the heavy lifting then you may get fired because you cannot perform at all. I think that you should go to your boss and explain that you are not ready to be lifting so much yet and see if they can put you doing something that is lighter. Please consider yourself first. Don't let your job push you back.
You only have this one opportunity to heal correctly. Never resist a temporary inconvenience if it results in a permanent improvement. HelenM
As far as abdominal work you should be working on holding and releasing the abdominal prior to any abdominal work. Please visit my webpage for more information about abdominal work after surgery. My signature has a link in it.
Help your family to understand that you need their assistance for a longer period of time. Especially with being back to work.
Please be very careful.
Blessings
Unread 05-21-2001, 07:15 AM
Physical job return

Thanks fitbug. I looked at your website and it was very useful. I have been doing the hold in the abs before you do most things for awhile now. I'm trying to be very careful with even bending right now. I've increased my walks to about 2 miles hoping to build my stamina. I get tired afterwards but feel better after drinking water and resting. I will wait awhile for the actual ab excercises ; that seems to be the feeling that most have. I think my boss will be pretty good about the weight lifting issue for awhile; but I do know it won't excuse me forever! The worst part of my job right now is twisting at the waist. I'm trying to be careful but some movements just aren't advoidable. I will try to hold the stomach muscles tight before I twist; that might make a difference. Thanks again for all the great responses ladies. I don't know what I would do without this site!
Unread 05-21-2001, 08:47 AM
Back to work

Dorrie,
One other suggestion might be to contact your doctor and explain that you aren't ready for the full day yet and see if you can get an extension to your part-time days. I'm just afraid that by next week so you'll really get yourself exhausted and have a set back. Don't push. I normally work three 12 hour night shifts and my doctor will be sending me back as part-time initially to see how I can handle that. I work in a hospital but I'm on my feet constantly and have to move heavy equipment such as ventilators regularly, as well as my patients which vary in size form tiny infants to adult sized teens. I'll be 7 weeks wednesday and I'm hoping with thursdays doctor appointment I can talk him into letting me stay home till 10 weeks. I just don't feel like I can handle that yet. Am I a wimp or what? :'( I'm just scared that I'll end up hurting myself like I have that tendancy to do around here at home. And at home I'm not inclined to do anything that requires that much of me. Take it slow Dorrie and let us know how it goes.
Unread 05-21-2001, 09:05 AM
Dorrie

I agree...can you ask your Dr. to go either on half time or out for alittle while on workman's comp??? It is not worth the rest of your life!! I am 49, 2 1/2 weeks after TVH and bladder repair. I am a go getter and seem to be causing worry for everyone and don't mean to...I am having a hard time staying sat...I am almost out of sick time due to taking care of my mother Fall'00 in Hospice and then my husband had open heart surgery. I REALLY wanted to put this surgery off, but DOC said no way. SOOOO...I am going to try to go back half days at 4 weeks????????? I can be at desk and have low physical job..........I am grateful..........., but I am nervous I won't be able to handle full time before my time has ran out????????????? I have to concentrate on today............and so do you..........as hard as that is!! I think we have to take it one day at a time and please try not to PUSH yourself!! Talk to your doctor about alternatives , then your employer. Good luck..........Easy for me to say, but , "TAKE IT EASY!"
Jeanne
Unread 05-21-2001, 01:23 PM
Back to work

Dear Dorrie, I work in retail and had a tah/bso on 4-10 went back to work on Sunday. One tired puppy at the end of the day and I only worked 6 hours. Went to the doctor today and talked to her about restrictions. Basically she said listen to my body. If it hurts then stop and do something else for a while. She said build up my strength week by week 10lbs first week 15 the next till I get back to par. I plan to work part-time the first 2 weeks and go from there. I won't be slinging any humidifiers this summer I have had 2 ladies suggest wearing a lightwieght girdle and I am considering doing that to help hold in the swelly belly. I will try that and see if that helps. Diane
Unread 05-21-2001, 02:07 PM
Working again

Thanks for all your suggestions! I may try the girdle idea. My boss is chomping at the bit for me to be back to regular duties. I saw him this morning and he asked about the restrictions the doctor wrote. The doctor put in my excuse note while I was working my 1/2 days for 2 weeks I was to do no lifting at work. Now my boss seems to think I can pick up the bags of money I handle (coins-35/50lbs )starting next week. I said no, I'm only picking up about 10- 15 lbs. at home right now. So I can see I may have to call the doctor's office to get a new note. I only need to go see the doctor if I have problems according to him. He leaves it totally up to you to decide what you can and can not do. I don't really want to use the rest of my vacation and sick time as I've used 8 weeks of combined time and need atlittle on the books for later on because you just don't know what will happen. I have been increasing what I can do at home and at my horse pen. I have been able to push a wheelbarrow with a very small load in it. I'm hoping it will get easier to do this stuff without hurting myself. How can you tell if you have done damage to yourself instead of just normal healing, stitich pulling etc? My doctor just says increase your activitiy and if something hurts don't do it! I'm trying to be careful but the guidelines are not real clear. I'm going on 9 weeks post-op this Wed. I'm so glad I've had this done and it's behind me! I never realized how bad I felt before with the giant fibroid and semi-permanent periods! Thanks for your input! Good luck to you all! I'm 46 years young! I feel years younger and healthier than I've been in years!
Unread 05-21-2001, 02:57 PM
back to work

I think if you have a doctors note listing your restrictions that your boss should know better than to ask you to do more. After all if you injure yourself at work isn't that a work related injury.... Who might be the one that pays? Maybe the boss needs a reminder. I am the owner of a really small store and motel so I set the rules. I had abdominal hyst, took all but the cervix 3 weeks ago today and actually went back to work on the 9th day. I have a couch in the back room and I'm able to lay down when I feel like it. I'm also very careful about bending and lifting. Just make sure you don't try to hide the pain or they all think you are all healed. I had to give out a few reminders yesterday. Good luck at work, or at home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register