Still Have Catheter--Anyone Else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still Have Catheter--Anyone Else? Still Have Catheter--Anyone Else?

Unread 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Unhappy - Still Have Catheter--Anyone Else? Bladder Sling/Self-Catheterizing Issues????

Hi, Just had my hyst and vaginal sling on August 30th. I still have the catheter in! Everytime I have had it taken out we end up within 3 1/2 hours in the ER having it reinserted. Anyone have this problem...I am getting unnerved about it. Try to keep my sense of humor but..... MD said we'll take it again in a week and I'll have to be taught to self catheterize..Yuck!!!!! That is just in case it doesn't work again! Anyone go thru this? What did your MD's do? What meds did they give you to help relax your bladder and make it work???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Still Have Catheter--Anyone Else?

I feel for you, did your doctor teach you to 'train' your bladder to fill and empty? Mine was adamant that I do the 'training'. It's easy, you just take a pony tail holder or something like it and wrap it around the top part of the clear plastic (below all the connections) and wait as long as you can stand it (I would start with 30 min or so to begin with) and release the holder and let your bladder rest for an hour or 2 and do it again. Slowly build up to 60 or 90 minutes. It worked like a charm for me. I'm also shocked that the doctor let you leave the office without checking to make sure you could go. Mine always had me drink lots and wait until I had a strong urge to go and then I went and they checked to make sure I wasn't retaining before I was allowed to go home. I hope the 'clamping' works for you and you won't have to self cath at all. Hugs.
Unread 09-16-2006, 11:43 AM

I had to self cath for about six months. it is really not bad at all, and better than the catheter. Tell your doc you would like to try. really, its not htat bad.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2006, 08:03 PM

HI, I just has my hysterectomy last monday and came home with a foley. This time I made sure I came home with it, they tried in the hospital to take it out but it was back in in about 3 hours. not the first time I had to do this the last ime I ened back i the ER and I wansn't doing that again I go tomorrow to see if it can stay out, I am hoping they don't have to put it back in. I am on permidium(not sure if that's how you spell it) it's for cramping but it is not working for me. I was also just diagnosed with IC, so my bladder is in a big flare now anyway.
Unread 09-22-2006, 06:48 PM

It is not that bad at all to self cath.
I found it easier to insert the cath whilst standing. I put a small mirror on the w.c. (on the side).
Make sure you lubricate the catheter.
The more you are relaxed the easier it is to self cath.
It took me a few days to learn (because I was scared) and sometimes I inserted it in the wrong hole. Once I got it wrong 4 times in a row and I cried my eyes out with frustration but I eventually learnt and I was very proud!
Unread 09-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Yep. standing is easier and I still ahve to use a mirro when i do cath. i think is would be much better than the cateter. ask you doc.
Unread 09-28-2006, 06:58 PM

I have to self cath, and have for a week after being home. It frustrates me that my bladder won't empty completely on it's own, but the fact that of all the parts with surgery, I was most worried about the cath and now I am self cathing is not as bad as I thought. I sit on the toilet, no mirror, because it is actually easier without. Since it is your body, you can tell where you feel the urine comes and by going that way instead of by eyesight, it is actually easier. I'll be happy when I am done, but it is much better than I thought. Also, safer than leaving the cath in with regard to infection. With the cath in all the time it is an open tunnel into the bladder where germs can go. Self cathing is "clean" rather than sterile, so it just requires good handwashing, cleaning with a wipe, lubricant, and then washing the catheter when you are done. I do it while I wash my hands after. If I can do it....anyone can.
Unread 09-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Red face - Still Have Catheter--Anyone Else? I Came Home Without a Catheter and Begged for One

It has been one week to today that I had my LAVH. After my surgery, I was sent to my room without a catheter which the nurses thought was strange. Then the nurses said I had to stay in bed for 12 hours. I felt that my bladder was full and they handed me a bedpan - Was NOT going to happen. I was having more pain and feeling full. I know this pain because I had it after I had my second son - he was 10 lbs 21 1/2 inches long - vaginally. I thought I was emptying my bladder all the way, but I wasn't.
Anyway, they decided to do a temporary catheter and see how it made out - of course I had 800 ml. The nurse said that the next time I felt like I had to go - she would let me try again -and then they would put in the Foley. I had the Foley in all night at the hospital the next morning they said they wanted to take the catheter back out so I could try some more before I went home.
I was able to urinate, but not comfortably. Doesn't seem to matter that much, because they sent me home and I was in pain all night. I went to my Dr. the next day and she said that it "may" be a bladde infection so I should urinate and then they would see if I still had urine in my bladder by inserting.... another Foley. After she first inserted it she said she really wasn't getting any urine. Then she yelled for the nurse for a larger container - I still had 700 ml in my bladder. They sent me back home with the Foley and I got it taken out 2 days ago - yeah!
They did put me on 7 days of antibiotics as a precaution, but I think what helps the most is keeping up with the "pain medication". If I let it lapse - even a little - it becomes more painful to try and urinate.
I don't if the pain meds help you relax more or if it just makes it less painful then just having the pain in the abdomen.
Anyway, I hope this helps! And yes, there is a world coming to you without a Foley!
Stay positive!
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:48 PM

How long have you had to self cath, and when you were done was voiding ok?
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:19 AM

I had to self-cath for nearly 4 weeks after the op. As soon as I was able to push, that is 2 weeks after the op, as I had haemorroyds and had to wait for them to clear, I would try and wee by pushing, then I washed myself and then I inserted the catheter to complete the voiding of my bladder. At first the residue was a lot, then gradually became less and less. After 4 weeks it was less than 100 ml, so I got the ok from docs to stop using the catheter.
I was told yesterday by the phisyotherapist that the best way of pushing the wee out when the bladder is "asleep" after the op, is by using the same tummy muscles you would use as if trying to inflate a baloon. That hopefully will prevent damages caused by pushing. I also try and push gently.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register