OK...this may seem like a silly question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK...this may seem like a silly question... OK...this may seem like a silly question...

Unread 09-15-2006, 10:17 PM
OK...this may seem like a silly question...

I first posted the other day and the ladies responded quickly and honestly about my previous concerns. Well I find myself here again on the same subject but different matter! I know those who have already had theirs done have answered my question about going to a wedding 5 days after surgery...most said that it probably wasn't a good idea especially if I have a long drive, well the drive is LONG but I am stubborn! And until my body tells me the day of the wedding I will PLAN to go. So...I love to wear heels and was wondering if anybody had any problems with wearing them? Remember...I am stubborn and will probably not be going but want to keep my otions open at this point! Just tell me realisticly if I feel like going will the heels make the pain any worse?
Sorry to go on and on...just planning ahead! And wishful thinking! Gotta stay positive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2006, 10:45 PM

The more I read the less I feel that I will be able to attend
Unread 09-16-2006, 12:04 AM

I have trouble wearing heels anytime!
I think you will feel miserable if you go to the wedding. I'm sure your doctor would not recommend nor sanction your going. Your feet will get puffy and swollen. You may have some balance issues if you are still on pain meds. If you go, I'd wear loose fitting clothes and slipperlike shoes. Just my opinion. Take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2006, 12:30 AM

i wouldn't go especially if you have a long drive, i know this from experience, i didn't do what i was suppose to do and it set me back two weeks, and i felt like crap! just my opionion
Unread 09-16-2006, 01:36 AM

I was supposed to go to a wedding on the 23rd of this month,my surgery date is the 21st.As much as you want to go I would really consider staying home and resting.I'm sure your friend or family member will understand.
Unread 09-16-2006, 04:36 AM

After what I've learned from past procedures -- there isn't any way I'd be going! I did something like this a number of years ago. The seatbelt alone is a killer not to mention the long sitting in a car seat. My DH was irritated but polite with frequent stops to help avoid developing blood clots in my legs. I got through the 2 day trip ok but I had to hell to pay when I got back. It definitely was a set back!
Unread 09-16-2006, 04:38 AM

Hi itsthepitts,

Sadly I have to tell you forget the wedding and don't even think about wearing high heels. I'm also a stubborn person but I can tell you the 45 min trip home from hospital just wiped me out. I was so tired and sore! So I think sitting for a 5 hour trip is just putting stress on your recovery you don't need. Please think seriously about your decision! This advice comes from someone who was off pain meds at 5 days and had a speedy and uneventful recovery. This surgery does put your body through much trauma.

Take care........Karen
Unread 09-16-2006, 05:01 AM

OK. I'm stubborn and easily bored. I hear what your saying and too would want to go. That being said, at 6 days I met with friends at Starbucks for about 45 minutes and it was a 10 minute drive. I made one other quick stop on the way home, maybe was out an hour. That wasn't 'too much' for me but it was plenty.

I wouldn't wear heels. You might stumble and even if you don't fall, you could really upset your stitches. If you decide you have to go, and again I wouldn't, I would think you need to go the day before. REST. Stay at a local hotel. Forego the service if you are going to the reception and then know you won't be staying too long. Maybe through dinner, if there's no cocktail hour.

BUT I would think being there might be frustrating. You won't be comfortable to be getting up and down. You can't drink. You can't dance. Surgery is funny it changes our 'tastes'. You might find you have no interest in anything they are serving.

Like others have said, you really shouldn't go. But if you do go, you need to take steps to minimize your travel, pain and stress.

Good luck

Julie
Unread 09-16-2006, 05:34 AM

I had one ovary removed last year and unfortunately am going in for a hyster and some other "stuff" on Tuesday. My surgery went well and I was in pretty good shape all things considered. I was back at my desk working two weeks to the day after surgery. But 5 days? Nope. You are still going to have fatigues spells from anesthesia, you're going to be so sore, and heels.....I live in them but a pair didn't go on my feet for months. Sorry but either resched the surgery or send your regrets on the wedding.
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:46 AM

Thanks...I knew that this would be the case...but glad everyone responded honestly...I def. do not want any set backs...6-8 wks is enough recovery time (before returning to work) for me. Thanks again for the support...I know that I will have more questions the closer the day gets!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register