Fibromyalgia sisters..I need help!!! If it's not one thing it's another :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibromyalgia sisters..I need help!!! If it's not one thing it's another :( Fibromyalgia sisters..I need help!!! If it's not one thing it's another :(

Unread 09-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Fibromyalgia sisters..I need help!!! If it's not one thing it's another :(

Hi Sisters,

If it's not one thing it's another here for me. First my surgery was canceled due to bronchitis, which I am better from that, but now I am in a terrible fibro flare. It began to hurt in my upper neck/back area two days ago, but I woke up this morning..can't turn my head or make sudden moves. I am resting a lot today with my microwavable bed buddy on my neck/back. I think between the stress of this surgery, precancer, lump in breast, change in weather and having a bad cough with the bronchitis..it flared me up good.

Also thought I'd have to cancel cause I am caregiver to my 80 yr old Dad and he announces he needs surgery 12 days after me.yikes...screammmmmmmm!!!! But dear sweet hubby is taking off work to take him.

My question is this? Can I still have surgery with my neck and upper back all inflammed from the fibro? I DO NOT want to cancel again. I need this out asap...I don't want to chance to continue waiting should there actually be cancer in there. OHHH if it's not one thing it's another. So frustrating and so hard waiting again when you reschedule.

Thanks my fellow sisters for your help. I know I can always count on you girls to help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Suggestion

First and foremost, my heart goes to you during your struggle in dealing with this. My fibro too has flared from the stress (castle date is 4 days away). I plan on asking my anest. for something to support my neck (soft collar, etc.) during surgery. If you can get your hands on some guided imagery/relaxation for pain cds they may be helpful. They work for some people, but not others. Another idea, which I'm planning on doing myself, is book yourself an appointment with a massage therapist as soon as you can before surgery. If you don't already have one, check around because some of them know how to deal specifically with fibro. If all else fails, contact your fibro doc for some short-term meds to get you comfortable until your castle date. I hope some of these suggestions help and best of luck to you.
Unread 09-16-2006, 11:17 AM

SisterAngel - I'm so sorry to hear of your latest "challenge!"
I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I was afraid that I would have a "flare" due to not being able to take my usual meds before the surgery. I told my preop nurse about this worry, and voiced it again with my surgeon and anesthesiologist as I was getting ready to go to the OR. They were concerned and put a non-steroid-anti-inflammatory drug in my IV (Torodol). I also got more of it after surgery in the hospital. I think they use it routinely for the pain after surgery (not just for RA or fibro) especially when you can't handle narcotics like morphine. Ask about this. It worked well for me, I didn't have a flare, felt very little pain from the surgery, and didn't need to hardly use the morphine pump. Sorry it won't help you until you get to surgery! But maybe if you get this lined out, then some of the stress will be relieved. I have RA and type 1 diabetes, and was awfully stressed about losing control of both of these conditions. But things went well, I had to keep reminding myself that where-else would you get the best care but in a hospital! In my case that turned out to be true! I'm thinking about you 's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Hi MissSheri, and JanaBaily,

Thank you both for coming to the rescue here. You guys have some good tips and suggestions. I will try those. I know what you go through....fibro really is not fun at times. I do very well though at controlling it with what I eat. I know triggers that set me off..and lately I have them all, change in weather, rain, STRESS, cold/bronchitis and the season change. It seem every Sept. I get a flare. I will do ok, I have rested all day and used my microwave bed buddy...it's helping..so hopefully a week from this Monday I will feel better and off to the castle.

Thanks again my dear sisters!!!!

Hugs
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Oh sisterangel! Poor baby

Hi,
me again, i followed you over! I am so sorry to hear about all your problems. I too have lots of issues. Fibromyalgia, chrons, adenomyosis, stenosis of the urethra, two buldging dics, and now infused colon, bladder and uterus. I am on a very strong pain patch called fentenyl. I don't think I will ever be off of it. I hurt sooo bad. I am hoping that my surgery on the 25th (same day as yours) that some of my pain wil be alleviated. I pray!
I am so sorry for your challenges. I pray that your surgery helps with some relief for you as well. I think since we have fibro, our healing time will be doubled!
scarry thought!
I wish you luck! thinking of you,
Kell
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:06 AM

Just to pipe in here... when I was in the hospital they had a pain management doctor check on you several times a day ( I swear everytime I opened my eyes he was there looking back at me). Let them know how you are doing surgery wise and fibro wise. They DO NOT want you to hurt. Hurting is detrimental to healing. Take care.
Unread 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM

Hi Kel and Arp,

Thanks for replying. I just actually wrote you two under MissSheri's post...so I won't repeat it here..you can read there...lol.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am so glad I have some fibro sisters here too. fibro is the pits and I am sure I will have a much harder recovery from it flaring. I read in an lavh they put you in some strange positions...ought to be great with the fibro..OUCH.

I would like to recommend a product to you fibro sisters. It's called the bed buddy. They make several types of microwavable moist heat pads...I done away withmy heating pad. They have a new one I just got yesterday while getting my x-ray...it is a huge that covers your whole upper back area and on top of both shoulders..and even gets your neck area..all in piece. I LOVE it so far. It is helping me now.

Best of luck to you both. We'll have to keep in touch how we all make out. Kell, I will be thinking of you on the 25th too. We'll do OK...we just have to keep faith God will get us through it and he'll help our fibro pain afterwards. I am so sorry you have all those other health problems too. He will hear your prayers and help!!

Hugs to you both

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register