Any hints on what to stock up on? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any hints on what to stock up on? Any hints on what to stock up on?

Unread 09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Any hints on what to stock up on?

You see, my husband does not drive. Nor is he much of a cook. So I am having to prepare for a couple weeks of no driving to get food products. Initially, I have concentrated on my "Kids"..my 6 cats and one large dog. Their food is being stocked up...and kitty litter too. But what about the "people" food? Hubby and I are pretty good at eating anything...and I will have cans of tuna, salmon, soups, veggies, some rice, some pasta, etc....but, we don't have a large fridge as the area in our kitchen is cramped...so a narrow fridge. Freezer is a pretty good size and I am cleaning out the rest to make room for eggs and things that last a while. I don't know how I'll feel or what I will want to eat those first couple weeks...any suggestions...And anything other than Gas-X..which I already need...lol to help me keep going. I am a Type 2 diabetic...but other than that, eat most anything! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2006, 11:35 AM

For me, it was lots and lots of raisin bran! Helps with constipation and I can eat it even when I have no appetite. So, you might try dry cereal. Frozen pancakes tasted good to me, and so did scrambled eggs. I would have some canned peaches (good if you are nauseated). My mom made and froze several meatloaves, and all I had to do was thaw and put in oven. Then topped with barbeque sauce, doesn't take much "cooking!" We also grilled and froze hamburger patties in little ziptop sandwich bags, they are good heated in the microwave and on a bun. We have a store that sells pizza that you take home and bake yourself, I got several of those and froze them. Then you just thaw and cook in oven. Easy and yummy! Hope these help! (I live 30 miles from the grocery store!)
Unread 09-18-2006, 11:41 AM

TV dinners - you can microwave or oven cook those
Canned stews, soups.
Lots of juices - prune, cranberry, orange (apple can be constipating)
Frozen fruits & veg.
Eggs
Bread - whole grain not white
Bran muffins

Could you make a list and have someone else pick it up -- at least your fresh stuff that 2nd week? Maybe a neighbor or friend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2006, 12:26 PM

I live in California and our Safeway stores deliver fresh food to the door. You sign up online and the next day (or whatever day in the future you chose) the truck arrives with fresh produce, meats, milk, deli, bread, etc. You may want to check out your area.

I found that the home made soups that I made ahead of time came in handy. I also had a huge sweet craving and found sugar free jello took care of that. Odd because I am not a jello fan.
Unread 09-18-2006, 03:46 PM

I live alone and stocked up on frozen meals, frozen fruit, frozen veggies, canned fruit, canned soups and yogurt. I also made some things in advance and froze them in individual portions. I wasn't sure how I would feel so other than needing someone to pick up milk, I was set for 6 weeks of easy cooking.

Turned out I got tired of the frozen stuff after about 2 weeks so I started doing simple stir frys (frozen veggies, a chicken breast and what ever marinades or sauces I had around the house.

Best wishes.
Unread 09-18-2006, 06:43 PM

Ah yes, I forgot the yogurt! Don't forget that yogurt!
Unread 09-18-2006, 06:58 PM

and cranberry juice - don't forget the cranberry juice.
Even if you don't like it much - drink it anyway. It helps to fight off the all too common UTI (from having a cath)...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register