How much time off work after tah | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time off work after tah How much time off work after tah

Unread 09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
How much time off work after tah

I am at 3 weeks post tah - I went back to work at 2 wks on a part time basis - this has probably slowed my recovery - how much time is average time off allowed by employers with tah - I do mainly computer/office work & don't know if I'm ready to go full time at 4 wks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2006, 04:43 PM

Wow...back to work part-time at 2 weeks after TAH, that's a lot! Be careful! I went back part-time at 4 weeks and full time after 6 weeks. You'd have to check with your employer, but don't let them pressure you into hurting yourself. My doctor wouldn't even talk to me about going back to work until my 4 week check-up.
Unread 09-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Hi STEELERS! That is really quick. You really need to be careful. I want to go back after 5 weeks and feel that I might be pushing it. You should not go back to work until your doctor allows and if he has reservations have him write an excuse to give to your employer. Hope you're well soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERS
I am at 3 weeks post tah - I went back to work at 2 wks on a part time basis - this has probably slowed my recovery - how much time is average time off allowed by employers with tah - I do mainly computer/office work & don't know if I'm ready to go full time at 4 wks.
Well, I'm at 5 weeks and don't go back to Dr till end of next week. I went back part time (4 hours or so a day) with a couple of days that were pushed a bit beyond that . I am usually ok in the mornings and the nurses and aides I work with take better care of me than my husband. I'm not allowed to life anything heavier than a syringe nearly. I still don't know if I'm going to be ready to go back to full time after next week. I'm taking the full days off this Thurs and Fri and will see what happens next week.

Basically, you've got to listen to your body. I know many of us are driven to return to work for the paycheck (isn't that the way of life), we just have to use common sense about it and realize our bodies have been through a lot.

God Bless and
Unread 09-19-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERS
how much time is average time off allowed by employers with tah
I don't think it's up to your employer, but is a decision best made by your doctor. Your employer should require a release from your doctor before allowing you back to work. I think 6 weeks is a good average, but can be longer based on how your recovery is going.
Unread 09-19-2006, 05:50 PM

Did you talk to your Dr. about this? Mine told me if everything was going really well and I felt like I was going stir crazy I could consider going back to work at 4 works, but he really recommended 6 weeks and said that he feels for many at 6 weeks, part - time is still necessary.
Unread 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM

I had TAH/BSO and my doctor said six weeks and that's what my company accepted. I was not even close to being ready to return at two weeks... and didn't really feel like going back at six weeks either!! I'm working regular hours (8-10 hours) but only 4 days a week, by my choice. I'm finding I need the extra day off in the middle of the work week to rest.

Please don't try to do too much, too soon!!
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:41 PM

I just went back to work at the 6th week. I sit at a desk but it is a very busy hospital unit and at 16 hrs. so far this week I am very sore and have a swelly belly. I just talked to my boss about not going back full time till eight weeks past. My Docotor said that alot of women need six to eight weeks, and alot of women I know say they don't feel really good for the first six months. if you do too much too soon you could be setting yourself up for scar tissue.
I know everyone is different but if you feel like your hurting or it's just too much then you should back off. It will be better in the long run. You are the only one who lives in your skin.
Unread 09-19-2006, 07:43 PM

My doctor said return to work "no sooner than 6 weeks" for me after my TAH BSO and I relished every bit of my time off and felt ready at 6 weeks. When I did go back, it was on a Wednesday so I wouldn't have to endure a full 40 hr week off the bat. I also knew going back part time any earlier would not work at my company. I tried it once after gall bladder surgery and those 4 hr days stretched out longer and longer until I was in tears on my way home each evening.
Unread 09-19-2006, 08:04 PM

As Kim stated, returning to work is a decision made my your physican, not your employer. Talk to your dcoor and let him/her know that you have been working and find out if you should continue to do so or if you need to be off for awhile longer. 6 weeks is usually very typical.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register