How should I feel at 8 weeks post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How should I feel at 8 weeks post op? How should I feel at 8 weeks post op?

Unread 09-21-2006, 01:13 PM
How should I feel at 8 weeks post op?

I would love to hear from anyone else who is about 8 weeks post op. I have twinges inside yet...not sure if it is my bladder or what. My bladder seems to feel full more often even when I don't really have much to go. It wasn't like that right after surgery. What are the rest of you experiencing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2006, 01:58 PM

I'm on my 8th week as well. I have had a couple of bladder infections. First time, I was given Bactrin (sp) but then it came after about 2 weeks then I was given another antibiotics and this time it worked. I go to the bathroom a lot but not like when I had the infection, 'guess I'm drinking more water now. I still feel some soreness...it's like a being bruised inside. If my doctor will have to ask me between 1 and 10 (10 being the worst)...I'd say it feels about between 1 and 2. It bothers me more when I bump into something. I'm assuming the inside is still healing.
Unread 09-21-2006, 02:34 PM

I'm not really feeling any pain - still have a swelly belly, and it's uncomfortable when I pee (feels like my bladder is "squeezing"), but that is getting better.

My biggest problem is insomnia and fatigue. I hate taking sleeping pills, but nothing else seems to work. I haven't gone back to work yet - I'm supposed to go back next Wednesday, and I'm really scared I won't be able to handle it. I did a fair amount of being up and around, running some errands and walking a bit more outside yesterday, and I absolutely collapsed last night, feeling like I was going to die! I stayed in bed all day today trying to get over that. Once I go back to work, i won't be able to take a day off in the middle of the week everytime i get tired- used up my paid time off for the recovery period. I feel like such a wimp and that I should be getting more back to normal by now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2006, 03:20 PM

Oh my goodness you ladies sound just like I did at that time. I am at week 11 tomorrow. I still sleep a lot longer than I used to and doing things during the day knocks me flat. I have random pains in and around my lower abs and a lingering "gentle" soreness if that makes sense. I am numb in a pretty wide area and sometimes feel really uncomfortable when it's getting close to time for good old number 2.

It is going to take more time than we're used to to get back to perfectly healthy. As some wise sister pointed out on the board: surgery takes a lot out of a reasonably healthy person. I would say all of us had significant health issues to begin with - that's why we're punctured princesses.

At the same token, I started seeing marked improvement in the last couple of weeks. Each lady is different but don't worry - we won't be like this forever. We just feel like it.

Cheers!
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:06 PM

I got back on this website today to see if anyone else was having problems like I am. I am 7 weeks tomorrow. I am still in a lot of pain and a swelly belly especially in the evenings. I went back to work Sept. 18th and what a bad time for me to be going back.Our offices were moving to another building. I had to pack up my stuff but others did help with the lifting. My doc said no sex or lifting for another 2 weeks which would put me at 8 weeks post op. I have listened to her but yesterday I had to move a few boxes and now I'm really paying for it. I'm in so much pain but don't want to be a wimp and don't feel that co-workers understand. They think I should be feeling wonderful and pain free, but I'm not. I walk around with my pants unbuttioned and sometimes even unzipped. I've also noticed a color change in my spotting. I'm going to call my doc tomorrow but she is like my co-workers, not understanding. I hate that you guys are having problems too but I'm glad I have y'all and this site as a support.
Unread 09-21-2006, 06:59 PM

I'm just over the 8 week mark. Been back to work for 3 weeks full time (first week was 1/2 days only, couldn't do more than that if I wanted to!).

I still have the twinges and do not over do anything. Listen to my body as to whether or not I'm doing too much lifting. The other day I did less than twenty minutes of heavier lifting than what I had been doing and my body said to slow down, so I did. Figure alittle more time each day to build up to where I had been.

I feel soooo much better than before, no pain in the tummy, but still get the swelly belly.

Went to Dr. this week and was given the OK to resume normal life, I'm wondering, WHAT IS NORMAL? I think I forgot, it has been so long since I have felt normal.

Still tired after an 8 hour day at work and some days it is all I can do to get through 8 hours of work. But everyday it seems to get a little easier on me.
Unread 09-21-2006, 07:53 PM

I feel like that at 10 wks, so it just goes to show everyone heals differently. Listen to your body & it will tell you how much & when.
Unread 09-21-2006, 08:13 PM

At 8 weeks I'm just beginning to feel my energy returning. Still have swelly belly and still get dizzy when I bend over. But no pains or other complaints. I think my lack of activity the first 2 weeks post-hyst are paying off. I'm very lucky that I didn't have anyone to worry about but me (and still don't!). I went back to work 2 weeks ago, working 4 full days a week. I'll continue the 4 days for another month.
Unread 09-21-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks, everybody for sharing. I have been doing lots more lately and wondered if the twinges I feel sometimes are normal or I'm imagining them. It's good to know I'm not alone in wondering what is normal for 8 weeks post op. Sometimes it feels a little sore in the belly area.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register