Generic estradiol patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Generic estradiol patch Generic estradiol patch

Unread 09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Generic estradiol patch

I am having my last remaining ovary removed on Monday, along with my cervix. My doctor has recommended generic estradiol patches. I'm happy to be going this route because oral estrogen (BCPs) has never agreed with me.

For those on estradiol patches, what side effects have you noticed? Also, my doctor said I can choose whether I want to replace the patch every 7 days or every 3-4 days. Which should I go with? I think I'd be more inclined to remember to replace it on a 7 day schedule, but if there are benefits of the 3-4 day patch, I'd certainly consider it. I know this could definitely be a trial-and-error thing, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Generic estradiol patch

Susan,
I'm not aware of a generic patch that is changed every 3-1/2 days. There is the Vivelle Dot which is changed every 3-1/2 days, but I don't think there's a generic version. I have heard good things about the Vivelle Dot. It is much smaller than many of the other patches and seems to have a better adhesion success rate.

I started out on the Climara patch following my surgery. It worked well for a few weeks, than I started to have problems with keeping it stuck. But that was just me. There are many women who do well with it.

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone is different so you will need to find which patch is going to work best for you. You could ask your doctor if he has some samples of different patches that you can try.

Unread 09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Generic estradiol patch

Hi

I initially started on Climara right after my surgery, but I had a problem with it sticking the entire week, and I also had a problem with the adhesive in Climara....it made my skin itchy and red.

I'm not aware of a generic 3 1/2 day patch either. I did switch to Vivelle soon after my surgery and have had no problems with adhesive reactions. There have been a few times when I've had to tweak the dosage, but all in all, it's been a good replacement source for me.

Good luck and let us know how you do!
's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Generic estradiol patch

Thanks ladies. I must have misunderstood him. He first suggested estradiol in patch form and I asked him what brand (because I've taken Climara in the past to counteract the horrible effects of a Depo Provera shot) and he said he'd prescribe a generic. And then he said it was up to me whether I wanted a 7 day or 3 1/2 day patch -- so I assumed both forms came in generic. I will probably go with the 3 1/2 day patch since I hated that awful sticky ring I'd get around the Climara patch after a day or two. Hopefully by changing the patch every 3 1/2 days that won't happen as much.

I'm crossing my fingers this whole estrogen thing isn't too difficult. I'm very nervous about hormones and worry about side effects like weight gain and GI issues.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Generic Climara

I started with the generic. I had an AWFUL time with it. I don't think I got much benefit from it. Plus the generic patch is large and thick, and doesn't stick worth beans. The Dr rewrote the script for brand name only. More expensive, but sticks better. I was having the issue with the crummy ring around the edges, but using a tegaderm over it seems to be doing the trick. It sticks well and I feel better & no dirty ring to contend with....... I agree with the suggestion to get some samples from your Dr and go from there before you start spending money on these only to have to change.
Unread 09-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Generic estradiol patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredinmd
I started with the generic. I had an AWFUL time with it. I don't think I got much benefit from it. Plus the generic patch is large and thick, and doesn't stick worth beans. The Dr rewrote the script for brand name only. More expensive, but sticks better. I was having the issue with the crummy ring around the edges, but using a tegaderm over it seems to be doing the trick. It sticks well and I feel better & no dirty ring to contend with....... I agree with the suggestion to get some samples from your Dr and go from there before you start spending money on these only to have to change.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a tegaderm?!!

Thanks for the advice.
Unread 09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Generic estradiol patch

Just my here, but... I would request that your DR prescribe a brand name patch, and write 'no substitutions' on the prescription. Any brand name patch is going to be a better experience for you than a generic. I tried generic patches briefly, and they were horrible -- big, thick, uncomfortable, didn't stick well at all and irritated my skin. I'd hate to see you have that be your only experience with what can be a great delivery method.

The Vivelle dot patch, which is a twice weekly patch, is the number one favorite around here for some good reasons. It's the smallest, thinnest, best at sticking and least likely to irritate the skin. Alora is also a twice weekly patch that is good; it's not a generic, though. Climara is the #1 weekly patch; I used it for a while, and it was OK except it didn't stick for quite the whole week.

Your DR may have samples of these patches you can try before deciding on what brand you want to use. All patches are NOT equal, no matter what the pharmacist tells you about the estrogen being the same (it is).

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda

PS Tegaderm is sold in drugstores now, in the bandage section. It's a synthetic sticky material made by Nexcare, and used as the sticky part of their Nexcare Waterproof bandages. You can use either the plain Tegaderm or one of their bandages over a patch to protect it if you have a problem with them coming off or wrinkling, or if you're going into a hot tub, steam room or sauna.
Unread 09-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Generic estradiol patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe
Just my here, but... I would request that your DR prescribe a brand name patch, and write 'no substitutions' on the prescription. Any brand name patch is going to be a better experience for you than a generic. I tried generic patches briefly, and they were horrible -- big, thick, uncomfortable, didn't stick well at all and irritated my skin. I'd hate to see you have that be your only experience with what can be a great delivery method.

The Vivelle dot patch, which is a twice weekly patch, is the number one favorite around here for some good reasons. It's the smallest, thinnest, best at sticking and least likely to irritate the skin. Alora is also a twice weekly patch that is good; it's not a generic, though. Climara is the #1 weekly patch; I used it for a while, and it was OK except it didn't stick for quite the whole week.

Your DR may have samples of these patches you can try before deciding on what brand you want to use. All patches are NOT equal, no matter what the pharmacist tells you about the estrogen being the same (it is).

Good luck with your surgery!
s,
-Linda

PS Tegaderm is sold in drugstores now, in the bandage section. It's a synthetic sticky material made by Nexcare, and used as the sticky part of their Nexcare Waterproof bandages. You can use either the plain Tegaderm or one of their bandages over a patch to protect it if you have a problem with them coming off or wrinkling, or if you're going into a hot tub, steam room or sauna.
Thanks so much for the advice. I think I'll ask him for the Vivelle dot and cross my fingers that my insurance company doesn't insist on a generic.
Unread 09-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Generic estradiol patch

I went from the Climara patch to the Vivelle dot, I love the dot. I change it twice weekly
Unread 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Generic estradiol patch

At first the Climara patch didnt stick well, so I tried generic. hated it. Big, thick, foam, dark colored and it broke my skin out into a rash. I still have a ring on my tummy from the first one 4 weeks ago. I am back on brand name, so far so good. May try to switch to another brand if this still doesnt stick for the full week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register