Contact Lens Trouble | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Contact Lens Trouble Contact Lens Trouble

Unread 09-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Contact Lens Trouble

I had a tah/bso four months ago, and have not been able to wear my contacts since. Has anyone else had this problem? I've been wearing them for many years, and I'm having a difficult time with not being able to wear them. I hate wearing glasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Contact Lens Trouble

Hi gkweber
I haven't had this problem cause I don't wear contacts but I have read that hyst can effect your eyes. Changes in vision, the shape of the eye and of course dryness due to menopause can be a problem.
Have you talked to your dr about this? I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. Hopefully some who have had the experience will come along to share with you.
's,Rita
Unread 09-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Contact Lens Trouble

gkweber, I wear disposable lenses and change them monthly. I did have problems with my contacts, they seem to irritate my eyes more. I resorted to wearing my glasses more often, when I got home from work I couldn't get them off fast enough. I went for a checkup last month, my dr gave me some new lenses that seem to be better, they are made from a new plastic . I have noticed that my eyes aren't as irritated as they were. I think you need to let your eye dr know, he should be able to help you with this. Let me know what you find out. Sending lots of 's, Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Contact Lens Trouble

I wear disposable contacts and have not tried to wear them since my surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago. Part of the reason is that before the surgery, I suffered from chronic dry eyes and really have to work at being able to wear them. I take Theratears (3 tablets) daily and use moisture drops and take the lenses out when I get home from school. Since my surgery I've been lax about the Theratears and need to get back at taking them better and try the lenses as I'll be going back to work in a couple of weeks. Wondering if the Restasis drops I see on TV would work. Think it's a question for my eye doc very soon. Hope your troubles with the lenses get better. Call your OD and see if he/she has some answers for you! Good luck.

Lynn-TAH/RSO
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Contact Lens Trouble

I have had problems with dry eye also. I had plugs put into the lower eye ducts and what a tremendous difference it has made. Used to have to take the flax seed oil capsules 2 times a day and drops in my eyes constantly! Still do the flax seed as that helps with other stuff, but no more drops and it has been 3 months.

You can get temporary plugs done to see if it helps. It is covered by medical insurance and it sure does beat the constant irritation!

Take care!
Unread 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Contact Lens Trouble

hummm, interesting. I wear contacts, but since my surgery Monday have just worn my glasses...easier right now...but I'm curious how it will be when I put my contacts back in.

Hope things improve for you!
Hugs
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Contact Lens Trouble

I wear contacts and have not had any problems with them but I was told by my doctor that the surgery itself could change my eyes (vision, shape, etc...) Since it has been four month I would contact your eye doctor you may just need a diffrent prescription. I hope this helps alittle.
Unread 10-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Contact Lens Trouble

gkweber - I had an LSH in July and I had the same problem. I went to the eye dr. and got new lenses. I used to wear daily wear Focus dailies that I would throw away everyday and had to change to PureVision because the lenses are more fluid. My eyes don't get so dried out and I wear these for 30 days before changing them out. I did also notice that I had to start using my reading glasses much more often after the surgery. Even though I am 47 the eye dr. used to be amazed that I could still read without reading glasses until this year. **Another Note** when I was pregnant with my first son, I also had to get new contacts because my vision and the shape of my eye changed so much.** I guess when it comes to our bodies some of us really change. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Contact Lens Trouble

Die-hard contact wearer here and no problems at all. Hope you can wear them again soon.
Unread 10-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Me too!

Hi there and hugs!
I too had some trouble with my contacts! I do not like wearing my glasses either.
I was put on OGEN and was reading the flyer that came with it....it stated if you wear contacts and have problems call your doctor. I called the pharmacist and he explained that the hormones change the curve of your retina. That is why they hurt and are blurry.
I kept trying to wear them for just a couple hours at a time....and they are better now......but at first....everything was a blurry mess and they burned and hurt. I am going to talk with my doc today and ask for something different. Did you start hormones?? CAll your doc if you did! I had the same surgery you did.....on Sept 25th.....I have to wear my contacts....I am 20/400 in both eyes with out them and do not like glasses! Let me know what you find out!
Hugs to you!
Mary Ann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register