45 or Over and KEPT ovaries???? I'm debating with myself | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

45 or Over and KEPT ovaries???? I'm debating with myself 45 or Over and KEPT ovaries???? I'm debating with myself

Unread 09-29-2006, 08:49 AM
45 or Over and KEPT ovaries???? I'm debating with myself

I've got a 'fibroid' the size of a baseball that they really don't know what it is. They're calling it a fibroid BUT 2 Drs and an ultrasonist have all said it's very strange so I have a hysterectomy on Oct 2nd but am debating with myself about what else to take out. The Dr says it would be best with my family history of colon cancer to remove my ovaries but have read the posts in "HORMONE HELL(jungle) and it pulls me back a bit. I've investigated extensively on here and the internet and am no closer to a decision. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to decide on in my life and I've had some beauts. Anyone over 45 decide to keep yours??? Any reasoning on why you did or didn't? Would love to hear from you. I'm about to make a Pro/Con list or einey meany miney mo.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2006, 08:55 AM

Hi,
I was fifty when I was faced with the same dilemma. I kept mine, after all, why take our something that is healthy? I have not been sorry.
Hope this helps.
Marja
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Wish I had the choice..I'm 49 and having it all out. But then, I have a slow growing endometrial cancer. Not looking forward to the fast menopause, but then I am not far from that age anyway. I'm told that 95% of the women with my type of cancer only need the surgery to cure it...so they can take it all. But if I had the choice, and no risk of cancer, I would keep my ovaries and let nature take over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2006, 09:05 AM

I'm 48, pre-cancer cells, cyst on one ovary. Family history of cancer. I have decided to let them take it all. I have high blood pressure and son't want to take the chance of having to have another surgery.

Good luck with your decision.
Unread 09-29-2006, 09:10 AM

I know what you are facing with this decision. I'm 52 and opted to keep my ovaries....however my Doc and I had a very clear understanding that if my ovaries were diseased that she would remove them. I think I made a good decision even though my Dad passed from colon cancer. Read all that you can about the pros and cons. My gut feeling was to keep them and my cervix. Best wishes on making a decision that is right for you. Sue
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
I've got til Monday to make my decision and your posts are enlightening, thank you!

I've been eagerly looking at your posts and hoping I make the right decision on my ovary removal, they can have the uterus and cervix, I'm done with those. Like I mentioned, my family history is pretty bad but we don't have any breast cancer which is good. Gall Bladder cancer, bladder cancer, sinus cancer, colon cancer ect. No parents left but I have some good things going for me. I've never smoked/drank and haven't had a sip of coffee BUT I've got 30lbs that needs to go somewhere else. My mood swings/headaches/fogginess/fatigue probably wouldn't be relieved by ovary removal and may make them worse and that's what scares me. I'm almost psychotic right before my period and have almost left my husband because of my irrational thinking. As soon as my period starts I'm back to myself. 3 days to go for a decision, thank you so much for your posts to my thread.
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:20 AM

I am 48 and opted to keep my ovaries. I felt very strong about keeping them. There is no significant Hx of cancer in my family.
I lost one ovary (entangled in a 10 cm fibroid) so I am so grateful I still have one.

I read that even after menopause the ovaries still do some work making small amts of hormones (androgens which affect the sex drive).
I also felt keeping the ovaries would keep me from menopause for a few more years. My mom went through it at 53 and my older sister is going strong so. . . .
Hope you can come to a sound decision. Read as much as you can . . .you will then know what to do!
Listen to your heart.
's
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM

Hi Rosemary,

I was 46 at the time of my hyst two yrs ago and I kept my ovaries. I am still very pleased with my choice. My ovaries are still working great.

In pre-op, my Dr. left the ovary decision up to me since my ovaries were healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in my family. Also, my Dr. told me that ovarian cancer occurs in approx. 5% of women or less, so I thought that was good odds for me.

I also read that the ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair, to name a few. And newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete hormones well into menopause. And the hormones are *free*.

From what I have read on Hyster Hysters, a number of Drs recommend ovary removal if a Hyster Sister is 45 yrs. or older. My Dr. did not agree with that thinking and I am so glad he did not. Why remove healthy ovaries to *prevent* something that might never happen when there can be an overall benefit to your long term health by leaving them.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:20 PM

I kept my ovaries because they were still functioning. Menopause was nowhere in sight for me at age 48, and that was part of the reason I needed the surgery! As long as I can keep my natural hormones, I think that's a good thing. As someone else said, if I have to have the ovaries removed at a later date (I have no reason now to think it would be necessary), it will be a walk in the park compared to the TAH, and even that was not so bad. I will do whatever is necessary.
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:26 PM

rosemary45,
I'm 43 years old and am having a hysterectomy on October 23rd. They will be removing both of my ovaries. There is an extremely strong history of breast cancer in my family, which is why I'm not even questioning the decision to take them out. There is also ovarian cancer on my Dad's side of the family. I'm more than a little nervous about "what happens after" especially with the HRT. I'm planning on taking the HRT for a year, and then weaning myself off, especially with the breast cancer in the family. I am going to discuss the HRT with my breast surgeon (I've had a few "false alarms") before I actually start the therapy though, just to get his opinion. It's confusing because everyone has a different opinion.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register