Hyst for fibroids/Questions about ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst for fibroids/Questions about ovaries Hyst for fibroids/Questions about ovaries

Unread 10-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Hyst for fibroids/Questions about ovaries

Hi, I'am new to this wonderful website and first time posting. I have a 16 1/2 week fibroid attached to the outer wall of my uterus. It causes me lower back pain, some abnormal periods meaning skipping months or they come twice a month. Bleeding only heavy for 3 days and then light for the next 4 days if that. Sometimes unexpected. I have had bad almost labor like pain right before menestration in Sept. My gyno suggested a Hysterectmey due to the size of my fibroid. I find my only discomfort is the pain before menestrating and bloating the abnormal periods. Iam a small body type and my stomach inflats large when this happens. My whole concern with a hyster is cancer and taking out the ovaries and if they take everyting out that means Menapause right away. I will be 50 in Jan. If they leave the ovaries in does this mean ovarian cancer is more likely in the future? And what is with the Hyster that they always want to take the ovaries out any way due to this cancer in the future or is it just the stastics? I'm so terrified of this surgey, not sure what to do. It seems so many women have gone through the Myomectmies( sorry for any misspelling) and other solutions and still end up later getting a Hyster. Any advice would help or comments please send them. Thanks so much.. PAK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi Kellerp,

Welcome!!!

I too had fibroids so I can sympathize with what you are going through.

Generally, if a Hyster Sister is having a hyst for fibroids, it is due to ~quality of life~ issues. In pre-op, I had pelvic pressure 24/7...like something was squeezing my insides. I had bladder incontinence where I ran to the bathroom on the hour - even for a trickle. And I was starting to get really scary-heavy periods. My life was being run around my fibroids.

If you can live with the symptoms from fibroids, maybe consider a wait-and-see. If not, you will find ladies on Hyster Sisters - including me - who wanted to to be over-and-done-with my fibroid symptoms - and a hyst was an answer.

On the ovaries...not all hysts include ovary removal. I had my hyst at 46 and I decided to keep my ovaries since they were healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in my family. My Dr. also told me that ovarian cancer occurs in 5% or less of women. I thought why remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might *never* happen????? Also, newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete important hormones well into menopause. And the hormones are ~free~.

It sounds like from your post like your Dr. might be advising ovary removal due to you being over 45. Many Drs think that if a Hyster Sister is over 45 - the ovaries should be removed. My Dr. did not have that thinking with my healthy ovaries and I agreed with his advise.

Maybe get a 2nd opinion???????? I got 2 opinions myself. If a 2nd opinion agrees with your 1st opinion about a hyst, it doesn't hurt to have more information. A hyst is major surgery so why not take some time to research it.

Best wishes. Don't feel alone. Many of us Hyster Sisters have walked in your shoes - including me. Deciding what to do can be difficlult so we are here to help if we can.

Mary
Unread 10-01-2006, 05:15 PM

Hello, PAK

If you ovaries are healthy and you have no family hostory of ovarian cancer, you should consider keeping the ovaries. They will continue to dribble out (free!) hormones for the good health of your heart, bones, skin, eyes, etc. even after menopause.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM

I had TAH/BSO because of huge fibroids. It took me many years to do anything and my first choice was UAE in July 2005. But I really knew that a hyst was in my future anyway. And then the ovaries question?? Doctor left it up to me. He recommended removal, but would have left them if I had asked. I didn't make my final decision until the doctor came to see me in pre-surgery holding area right before anesthesia!! I'm a procrastinator...

My personal decision at 53 was that, even without a family history of ovarian cancer, I didn't want to make a return trip for that or any other ovarian complications. A good friend went into the hospital the day before me to have surgery for an ovarian cyst, at age 69.

I had already gone through natural menopause right before surgery. It turns out after surgery, the doctor told me my ovaries were "normal" for my age. I read a lot of helpful information about whether or not to keep ovaries, in the book "The Essential Guide to Hysterectomy." There's a detailed discussion about all of the options. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...96#post1119396

Best Wishes!
Unread 10-05-2006, 01:45 PM

Hi Pak,

I had my hysterectomy due to fibroids, 2-lbs worth. They were putting so much pressure on the bladder, bowels and back. It wasn't getting any better only growing worse. I'm 45. My DR told me, once I reach meno the fibriods will shrink but due to the volume of fibroids I would forever have an enlarged uterus. I saw 4 different surgeons and all said it needed to come out. Since I've had the hysterectomy, no more leaky bladder and bms move right along and my back has improved.
I kept my ovaries as I do not want to go on HRT, my mother had breast cancer.

Lauren
Unread 10-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Hi

I had a TVH and kept my ovaries. Spinal (no general anesth.) My doc said my ovaries were healthy and there was no need to remove them. I was 44. The fibroids and surgery were a shock to me, It was 7 days from finding out, to surgery. Three yrs later, I'm very happy I kept them. I believe they keep me youthful (inside and out). I also supplement bi-est, to make sure I'm not missing anything. Yes removing them is a one stop shop, but the effects of not having them can be hard, and long term. You will have to decide which idea you are more comfortable living with, along with your info, and go with that. Its a decision only you can make.

Good Luck!
Unread 10-16-2006, 04:39 AM

Had fibroids and kept my ovaries. I asked the surgeon and she said that this way I get several hormones that are good for my wellbeing for several years to come. She also stated that the risk of ovarian cancer is minimal and isn´t increased because I kept them. Best luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register