? about my ovaries (pcos) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about my ovaries (pcos) ? about my ovaries (pcos)

Unread 10-02-2006, 07:14 AM
? about my ovaries (pcos)

I'm scheduled for hyst tomorrow (10/03)...and the plan is to leave my ovaries and cervix. i'm going to ask today at my pre-op, but I'm wondering....I have pcos and I have pain..from what I think is my ovaries. I've had an ultrasound and it just shows an abundance of normal follicular cysts, nothing largely abnormal. After all this surgery, I really don't want to have to deal with anymore pain from my reproductive system. I just keep thinking, hormones for the rest of my life...or meds for pcos for the rest of my life...?

I dunno, anyone else have pcos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I found my answer today...I think

Thanks anyway.
Unread 10-02-2006, 06:24 PM

I asked the doc to leave Leftie The Ovary in, but to use his best judgment if things looked iffy. He did find a cyst there, and took a piece of the left, the entire right, the cervix, the appendix, the kitchen sink...(laparoscopically, mind you!)
I'm thrilled with my decision, since I'm 45 and weighed surgical menopause vs. natural against my useless thyroid. Anyway, I've no regrets, and I completely understand how difficult a decision like this is. Recovery's going AOK, wasn't nearly as terrible as I'd expected. Good luck, shaden3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2006, 08:49 AM

I don't know what time your surgery is, or whether you will see this beforehand. The truth is that you will have to take the meds for the "other" symptoms of PCOS (insulin resistance, hyperandrogenism, and hypothyroid) whether you have your ovaries or not. That is, of course, assuming you have other symptoms. Having an oopherectomy does not cure PCOS If you keep your ovaries, you may end up being on the BCP to control them. If you don't keep your ovaries, you will need some form of HRT.

I didn't keep my ovaries, and even though I have found a very pleasant balance at about 1 1/2 years, I still have some serious memory problems that I didn't have before my surgery. The ovaries are a free hormone making set of organs, and you are right. Your question is whether or not to control the hormones that they are making, or replace the hormones.

My thought is that, since they appear to be relatively healthy, why not give them a chance? You can always go back and remove them if they start causing problems. You cannot, however, put them back in if you remove them and regret it. An oopherectomy is a much easier surgery than the hysterectomy. It is a possibility that the reason for your pain lies in the uterus and the reason for the hysterectomy.

Again, I am sorry I may have missed getting this to you before your surgery. Do let us know what you decide, and how you are doing. Best Wishes for your surgery today.

Kay
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:58 AM

I think I've decided to keep my ovaries because after I posted this question i went searching and found all the info about the ovaries really having NOTHING to do with pcos...ovaries are affected, but they're not the cause. My surgery got bumped to next week though - pending my thyroid bloodwork. I've got hashimoto's which is hypo at the moment...or, hypo last time it was checked....and suddenly yesterday at pre-op he decided he wanted clearance from my endocrinologist...who happens to be out until 10/16...so I asked him just to check my levels at his office and we'll go from there...HOPEFULLY surgery is on for 10/10....hoping & praying that my tsh is normal

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register