Familiar with ovarian cysts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Familiar with ovarian cysts? Familiar with ovarian cysts?

Unread 10-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Familiar with ovarian cysts?

Can anyone tell me about ovarian cysts and their risks of being malignant? I go Monday for a repeat CT scan to check on an ovarian cyst that lit up (slight up-take) on a PET last month. If the cyst has not gotten any smaller then we will be scheduling surgery for the end of the month to remove my last remaining ovary and biopsy the cyst.

I am scared to death to get the results, because if it is cancer, than it is recurrent cervical and the treatment is ugly. I went through excessive treatments as precautionary in order to avoid something like this happening, so I feel my chances of it being just a cyst are good, but like everyone knows, cancer does not follow the rules. And I have defied every rule so far, so my gut is telling me to prepare for the worst.

Any words of wisdom or knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jasmine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Well, from what I understand, the chances of it being malignant are higher if you are older. I was 57 when I was diagnosed with ovca. I had a very large cyst on each ovary, 25, & 18 cm. My treatment was of course surgery, and chemo, but here I am 2 years later dancin with ned. But, I hope it turns out to be a benign cyst for you.
Unread 10-06-2006, 02:22 PM

Jasmine,
I know how frightening this must be. But I have never heard of a cervical cancer causing an ovarian cyst. And I doubt that a 1b1 tumor could jump over to an ovary. Such cysts are VERY common, and very rarely malignant. At your stage of cancer you have a very small chance, less than 10%, of any recurrence, EVER. I can't imagine that the cyst has anything to do with cervical cancer, but we all understand the fear.

Hang in there, do something fun, stay busy, and try not to waste a good worry.

Hugs and loves,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have been trying to stay positive, but when it lit up on the PET, even my gyn onc was a bit surprised. His vote was to just get in there and take it out so I don't have any more of these scares. He doesn't know if it's cancer or not, but would rather just be on the safe side. He agreed to let me wait a month and re-do the CT to compare the size of the cyst, but he's pretty insistent on taking it out if it hasn't shrunk at all. Another surgery is scary to me, you never know what they're going to find. I'll know more next week.

Thanks again
Jasmine
Unread 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM

Jasmine,
As your Dr. says, it is hard to know until they can take it out. The fact that he is willing to wait and see what it does is also a good sign. Yes, surgery is scarey, but if you can remove a possible cancer early, it is worth it IMHO.

Let us know what you find out next week. s and ers
Jane
Unread 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM

Good luck dear and keep a positive look out. Could just be a cyst like you said. Hope that things go well on the CT.
Unread 10-07-2006, 06:16 PM

I'm right there with you as I'm currently undergoing the same thing (but without the prior history that you've experienced).

As far as I understand it, the risk is fairly low. My doctor kept emphasizing that fact to me when she was explaining the risks to me. I'm currently under watch for a 3.5 cm cyst on my right ovary of some type that so far my doctor has been unable to determine (after 2 transvag ultrasounds and a CT Scan. blah)

Next up for me is a laparoscopy to find out what it is and then remove it. :T Like your doctor, mine wants the cyst out (and possibly the ovary) since it hasn't shrunk at all. I'm of the opinion that getting it out is the best thing to do...rather than letting it sit and possibly grow bigger. My sister had a dermoid pop on her and had to undergo emergency surgery (lost so much blood she needed a transfusion. ) Needless to say I'm being overly cautious.
Unread 10-09-2006, 07:39 AM

According to my onc, I would normally be 'under watch' also, if it weren't for my history. But just the simple fact that it showed some uptake on the PET was enough for my doc to just say we should take it out. Although he told me that the risk of waiting a few weeks to re-take the CT was very small, he did say he would rather just see it gone. But, since it would be going abruptly into menapause and not him, my dh and I decided to wait just a few weeks and see what the test results say. Although I can't find any info on cervical cancer recurring on an ovary, I am still very fearful, especially when recurring cc is not the most curable.

I will know more this week when I take the test and get the results back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register