Rectocele repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele repair Rectocele repair

Unread 10-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Rectocele repair

Hello it's bubblebelly here. I went to my preop and after discussion about what I expected after surgery and that these expectations included less constipation, it was decided to reach this goal I need a rectocele repair also. OK, so this is something that would add to my discomfort after surgery the doctor said, and honestly I feel really worried about discomfort now where before I had the notion it would be handled.

Have any of you other princesses had this operation? I'm having a TVH as well. I wonder if people feel like the back there pain was the worst? the doc gave me the feeling it was not fun whereas she claimed the TVH would be really manageable

And with a TVH can you sleep on your stomach at all? I have sciatica and it gets bad on my back so I sleep on my stomach usually. I am imagining all the surgery pain rom two hot spots and then sciatica kicking in just for fun too. Maybe I better quit imainging that and start imagining doing well eh?
BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Rectocele repair

Hi BB:
I have no answers for you but am curious as to the answers you get since I am having the same surgery. There isn't much about retrocele repair that I have found and exactly what to expect in recovery.

Also, I notice you have sciatica. I also have that and my doctor told me never to lay on my stomach with that. I used to be a total stomach-sleeper until the sciatica and now sleep on my side. But, I miss it. LOL
Good luck to you on your surgery. When is it? If it is before mine, you can tell me how the retrocele was. Mine is scheduled for 11/28. Thanks.
Tricia
Unread 10-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Rectocele repair

I had TVH with rectocele repair. I really didn't feel much discomfort from the rectocele repair. I have read that others really hurt from it. I'm a stomach sleeper as well and I could manage to get onto my stomach after about 4 days. The difficulty was rolling over onto my stomach and then back to get up.

Hope all goes well with your surgery and you heal quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Rectocele repair

No doubt about it, it hurts. You will want to use your drugs faithfully for several days and make sure you take your stool softeners and any other bowel related drugs your doctor recommends. I am NOT trying to scare you by any means but I will not lie to you either. It has been the worst of my three main repairs done mostly because I cannot get my bowels right and it causes pain and pressure down there. I don't know that there is a way to prevent it. In talking with sisters who have had it done, some people breeze right through and others have a tougher time. The key is keeping your bowels moving and the stools soft. No matter how much it has hurt, I know that all of the things I had done were worth it because it is over and I won't have to worry about them again!

You should be able to search the site for more info on this type of surgery and you can always peek into post op to read how sisters are doing with this type of surgery/recovery. Great suggestions on things to have in the house and such in case you can't go (check with your doc ahead of time about what he will let you use!!!!). One of the best hints I got was to have glycerin suppositories handy to help with that last final push (sorry if that is TMI....you get used to that post op! lol).

hugs
K
Unread 10-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Rectocele repair

I really had no issues w/ my rectocele repair. The most pain I had was the first week from the bm moving down the entire colon. I could feel it. I was told it was from the bowels settling into a new place. It went away after 2 weeks thankfully. I really don't feel I had any additional pain other than the initial soreness. I had a bladder repair as well. I don't really know your pain tolerance but for the first few days at home on a scale from 1-10 ..I only had about 6 at the most. I do recommend taking stool softeners for at least the first week that you are home. It helps so that you don't have to do much work. I also took gasx for the first week as well. I think fear is your biggest enemy. If you fear that first bm, it's gonna take longer than you want. Relax and keep a heating pad near. It does help w/ the tummy!
Unread 10-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Rectocele repair

Hi,

I had rectocele repair done as part of my procedures. I haven't really sufferered any discomfort from the rectocele repair, but I haven't had any bowel issues either other than some diarrhea right at the beginning. I hope all goes well for you. Good luck with your surgery and subsequent recovery!

Cindy
Unread 10-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Rectocele repair

Hi

I had my posterior repair the year after my LAVH and it was miserable. The LAVH was bad the first 4 days, but my surgereon said that was mostly from all the time in there cleaning up deep endo and scar tissue, rather than the the hyst itself.

Although I was having additional surgeries with my repair, I had expected the repair part to feel similar to either my episiotomy or my delivery tear. (I wish) Like the other members said, everyone is different and some don't have a bad time with it. I was just at the wrong end of the bell curve. I think most women do a lot better than I did, so please don't go by my experience.

Mine was a 3rd degree prolapse and I had an incision the whole length of the vagina, extending back to the perineal area. Dr. said my muscles were a lot worse than what he'd expected going in. The other thing with me is that I couldn't really use enough pain control because I don't do well with narcotics. (They make me itch like crazy, but I took them anyway that time - and ended up in observation because my respirations and O2 saturations were too low.) I am glad I had it done though. I hope you have an easier time with it. Since your surgeon knows how much work will be done, hopefully you'll get the best idea of what to expect from him/her - plus some reassurance that you'll have adequate pain control. Oh, ice packs helped me a lot too.

Good luck with your surgeries and your recovery.

s,
Beth
Unread 10-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Rectocele repair

I can't say mine was not uncomfortable, but it was manageable and there are lots of tips about, like above, to ease your recovery.I 'reclined' rather than at directly on my bottom for about 4 weeks. I think I would prefer to get all the discomfort over in one surgery rather than having to go through the whole thing of discomfort and restrictions again at a later date. Good luck in your decision making.
Unread 10-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Rectocele repair

Oh wow thanks folks! I had a darned time post babies with episiotomies and hemmorhoids. the doctor said that was when this tear to the fascia that will be repaired occurred. Both babies 9 pounds. But she is going in through the perineum and I will need to not sit apparently for a long time she said so it reiterates what you gals said as well. She also said we MUST MUST get the stools soft NOW. I am on milk of mag 30 cc every night now til after surgery to keep it soft and not taking calcium. I agree getting over with at once is important-I sure don't want to do recovery again a few years from now. I have MS and RA too so walking is somewhat difficult for me.

Ice packs-good plan. I'll buy a few of the ones you keep in the freezer.
I got some of those heat therma care things thinking I could put that on my belly and get some distraction from the inside discomfort. I'm so glad that I will be on my stomach in a few days! My favorte postition is on my back to sleep, but it makes my sciatica crazy so I can't to that (I know the PT will tell you the opposite but that's my body-I do use a couple pillows under my tummy to prevent the hyperextension of the back). I've adjusted to 'on my stomach' and now find it hard to sleep any other way.

So those of you that had rectocele repair a while ago did it get rid of that problem where the----hmmm---material sits there in the pocket with no desire to "go"? Or the problem where you go but the pocket keeps some material? I know TMI; I'm terribly embarrassed -I'm so glad I am anonymous or I could not ask it, but I've had such secret troubles for so long. To finally be getting a hyster and have a doc I felt I could tell it to meant that I finally know what the trouble is and possibly get help instead of just feeeling like "there's something wrong with me why can't I go?" It was a relief to read that fibroids cause constipation and bloat, then another one to find out that I have a recotocele that can be repaired. It's all good no floods and a better bowel system too! I really hope this actually helps, Beth and K I'm glad you said you are glad you had it done. And glycerin I can get
and do. I do feel better already. Thanks for the kind support! My surgery is the 25th oct.
BB 's
Unread 10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Rectocele repair

Hi Bubblebelly!
Just want to wish you luck with your upcoming surgery. The truth is rectocele repair is no fun but I wouldn't say it was the worst pain I have ever had. I think I am the unofficial queen of prolapse repair, I am now 5 days post-op from posterior mesh excision surgery.
I can give you a few tips. As some of the sisters have mentioned, don't let the pain get ahead of you. My Uro/Gyn always recommends Motrin 600 every 6 hours around the clock for at least the first 2 weeks post-op. This helps to reduce the swelling. When swelling occurs it causes the sutures to pull and can be quite uncomfortable. A bag of frozen vegetables makes a very good "moldable" ice pack. Of course no one will want to eat them later knowing that you've been sitting on them!!! Keep your stools very soft. Take the stool softener faithfully, drink lots of water and increase the fiber in your diet. I know you have some difficulty moving around but it's important to try to walk at least once an hour. It doesn't have to be a great distance, just a cruise from room to room through your house is fine, it helps to get things moving. When you sit try to take the pressure off your bottom by sitting on a soft pillow, reclining or side sitting. Don't spend too much time sitting in a hard chair or you will feel it later!! Please obey your Dr's restrictions. As difficult as it is to follow the weight limits and the no laundry/housework rule take it from me, you do not want to do this again!!
You will be so happy when you are recovered and no longer having to splint, feel pelvic pressure or having back pain. I have had many complications on this long road but I do not have any regrets. Again, good luck to you and please feel free to PM me anytime, if for nothing else but a shoulder from someone who has been there. 's
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register