Questions, Questions...lil' Less Than 1 Mo...trying To Plan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions, Questions...lil' Less Than 1 Mo...trying To Plan Questions, Questions...lil' Less Than 1 Mo...trying To Plan

Unread 05-23-2001, 12:38 PM
Questions, Questions...lil' Less Than 1 Mo...trying To Plan

Hi everyone,

I am 27 days until my surgery...but whose counting! I will be having a total abdominal hysterectomy for large (LARGE!) fibroids and ovarian cysts June 19...I will (probably?) keep one ovary if it is in good shape.

I walk several times a week now and am excercising my abdominal/back muscles too when I go to the gym. I am 41 years old...and I've got questions galore...but I'l start with these, because I'm trying to plan for my recovery needs.

I live in a upstairs apartment (13-15 steps) and I will probably be in the hospital 2 nights...and maybe three days. In your individual experiences how soon was it that you could take the stairs...I just want to know how soon I can return to my own apartment. I have kitties I will miss ... and worry about.

Also, once home from the hospital, I will be staying with friends...but, except for the weekends and evenings, they will be at work. What, in your experiences, kind of help did you need during the day AND for how many days? Will I even need any help during the day IF I have help in the evenings? Just how much help do I need to ask for from my friends...I don't want them to have to sit around all day with me if it is not necessary...I will have plenty of movies and books to read.

Thank you!

Jan in Albuquerque, NM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2001, 02:09 PM

Hi Jan-

I am 2 weeks post op right now for a TAH/BSO. We set up a bed in my living room downstairs as I thought that going up and down stairs would really hurt. The first night I was home, I tried going up a couple of stairs and found that it wasn't a problem as long as I took it slow. Everyone is different-you might want to ask your doctor about it and keep the trips up and down to a minimum. I go up and down, and I feel it, but then I feel everything I do, including just walking across a flat floor! Talk to the doc-wish you well in your surgery!
Unread 05-23-2001, 02:29 PM

Hi Jan,

I was OK'd to do stairs as necessary. My bedroom is on the second floor, and I didn't have any problems with them. Many of the ladies were restricted to once or twice a day. Chances are you'll be fine alone during the day with proper planning. You'll want to avoid bending and stretching, so make sure your food and drink is handy for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2001, 03:00 PM

Hi Jan!

Definitely ask your doctor about stairs - it seems they all have different restrictions.

My doctor said stairs were fine right away. I found it MUCH easier to take them sideways, while holding on to the railing. It didn't pull on my abdomen that way.

My husband was home with me the first two days at home (was in hospital for 3 days/nights). It was nice having him around to fetch me things, as I lay there like a princess!

After that, I was fine at home alone during the day. He made sure EVERYTHING I might possibly need was at waist level, so I wouldn't have to bend or reach. This includes cups, juice, toilet paper, clothing, etc.

He also had food and drinks prepared in ready-to-eat servings.

Oh, and keep a phone where you can reach it!

Good luck!
Unread 05-23-2001, 03:49 PM

Hi Jan

I live in a second floor apartment and my gave me the okay to do stairs right away. I found it easier to go one step at a time. It really is up to your individual doctor, they seem to sometimes have very different restrictions.
I came home from the hospital on Sunday and my DH had to go back to work on Monday. He also made sure that everything I would need was accessible and I really didn't have a problem being home alone. I was resting so much the first couple of days home it was probably better that I was alone than having my sometimes overly attentive DH hovering. But everyone is so different that you may not know how much help you will need until after your surgery.
Best of luck to you. Thank goodness it sounds like you have plenty of help if you need it.
Unread 05-24-2001, 12:51 PM

Hi Jan,

I had a supra cervical abdominal hyst for a grapefruit sized fbroid 14 days ago. I'm 37, and before my surgery was in pretty good (but not great) shape. I walked about 2-3 miles a day, and sailed every weekend. I had a lot of the same concerns you do about my ability to get around -- I live on a boat! That means a 100 yard walk down the dock, 3 steps up to the deck and 5 down into the cabin before I'm even inside my home. Before I had the surgery, I was really worried that they'd release me from the hospital before I was phsically able to get on board. My SO even reserved a room at a nearby hotel (what a sweetie) in case I wasn't going to be able to handle the walk to the boat.

It was really no problem. I took it real slow, and I did fine. I think SO was more nervous than I was -- he really hovered the first few times I left to go up to the head. The thing that was far harder for me than stairs and walking the first few days: getting up from a lying down position to a sitting position. After about day 5, that stopped being a problem.

I had surgery Friday morning, and wasn't released from the hospital until Monday morning. SO went back to work on Wednesday. He had originally planned to take the entire week off, but I really didn't need that much help during the day. I was off pain medicine by Wednesday, and I'm up to walking 2 miles a day. I'm really feeling much better than I expected to, all told.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting home to your kitties (and I'm sure they'll provide much needed amusement during your recovery, too.)
Unread 05-24-2001, 03:02 PM

Hi Jan, it's been three weeks for me today since my TAH/BSO. Our bedroom is on the second floor and my doctor told me to start going up the stairs the day I got home. That felt fine. I did sleep in the downstairs guest bedroom for the first several days because I was so afraid my husband would roll over on me. Now I nap and rest in the guest room during the day and sleep in our bedroom at night.
As for preparing, I would recommend as someone else did, putting all the food you'll want at a reachable height. Get the fruits up out of that low crisper in the fridge and up onto the top shelf where you can get it easily. And I also recommend buying some waist-high cotton undies in a size larger than you usually wear, so you'll be comfortable with the new shape. I got home from the hospital on a Saturday and my husband returned to work on Monday but he came home for lunch the first few days.
Also, load up on books and magazines, or books on tape if it's hard to concentrate on reading (it was for me for awhile), get the portable phone next to your bed if you feel like answering it or calling friends to check in, and make your healing environment a pleasant one, just as the book says! Good luck! For me, the first two weeks were the most exhausting, and I'm still napping twice a day. The comfort is that every day does get better.
Dianne
Unread 05-24-2001, 05:04 PM

Hi!
I am 43 and am 4 weeks post op from TAH/BSO, tummy tuck and lipo. I was in pretty good shape before and figured I would go ahead and do the tuck and lipo since I was going to be out of work.

I was very fortunate. My sister and mom live here so my sister came over in the mornings and would do laundry, would bring food, grocery shop, etc. My husband and daughter (14 yrs old) was very helpful. The best advice I have is do nothing. My bedroom is on the main leve so I never walked the stairs. However, I did walk outside every single day even the day after I got home. The rest of the day, I sat on my bed with lots of pillows and a pillow called (husband)...really helped with the support. I watched a lot of T.V. and did things I never had time for like sorting through recipes, etc. A friend of mine bought me a grabber which you can get at the drugstore and that was a life saver. My husband didn't have to run in ever time I dropped something because you really cannot bend down. I'm already in a bikini and am so happy I had the tuck...my tummy is hard as a rock and I don't have saddle bags anymore. It's worth checking into.

I started driving at 2 weeks but didn't go out unless I had. My husband took me out to eat some but I felt more comfortable at home the first couple of weeks. I run errands every day but find I get real tired. One day I did too much and I was very sore. When they say no lifting, they mean not even a milk jug. Yesterday, I took out my slow cooker and put it on the counter and I feel like I pulled something. Be careful. If you like, feel free to email me any time. I don't go back to work until June 11th. Good luck.

[email protected]

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register