putting shoes on | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

putting shoes on putting shoes on

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:09 AM
putting shoes on

Hello,

This is kind of a post-op question, but since we aren't supposed to bend down and pick things up, how do you put your shoes on? Getting out and walking is encouraged. I just wonder how to get my shoes on since it involves bending over to pick them up and tying them. Is walking not recommended until after a couple days or longer? I will have to go down a flight of stairs to get outside.

Thanks!
tvh/bso, urethral sling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:21 AM
putting shoes on

I think I'd find the stairs more of a challenge than the shoes. I'm going to keep my shoes on a table with a chair nearby, thus eliminating the bending over part. I'm hoping I can lift my foot enough behind me to slip them on. And as for tying them, my chair (dining room chair) has a support bar I can raise my leg up just enough to tie them. My surgery is tomorrow so I'll let you know if my theory works!
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:32 AM
putting shoes on

AKlilac,

I had a TVH, however I didnt need the other surgeries you are going to have to have along with this.
From my experience... I have to walk up stairs too, I walked up them 2 days post op very slowing. I stayed in for about a week and rested really well. With that being said, I didnt need to put my shoes on to go anywhere. However, after a week... I did get out of the house and go to the store. I had my DD push the cart and do the carrying of our bags. I walked around for about 20 minutes and then went back home and rested. Each day I tried to walk a little more. I was very careful and didnt push it. I went back to work after week 3, however I do have a desk job that requires some walking around and I also had to train classes that required some standing. I made sure after work, I went home and rested well during the evenings. I did however made sure for 6 weeks I did not lift things, do any vaccuuming, etc.
Please listen to your body.. however I highly recommend that first week or two post op to rest, rest, rest....
I was very tired after my hysterectomy. I didnt need any pain meds, (got very lucky).. however I was very exhausted. I also found that sitting for long periods of time caused extra pings of pains in my legs. Please read and possible print out the do's and don'ts they have posted on this site for a good guideline of what you should or shouldnt do.
Pamper the Princess and let others do the work for you, and the work they dont do... let it go... I did and was glad!

Big Hugs,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2006, 09:32 AM
putting shoes on

has your doctor told you when can start walking? My pre-op is tomorrow morning and I will be posing this question then. It sure makes me wish that I had slip-on shoes!

hope it goes well tomorrow!
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:56 AM
putting shoes on

AKlilac,

I would go buy you a pair of slip on shoes. That would probably be a good idea. I did where a slipper pair of shoes to the hospital when I went.

Lisa
Unread 10-08-2006, 10:08 AM
putting shoes on

Lisa,

I will definitely look around today after work for slip-on walking shoes!

Thanks!
Unread 10-08-2006, 05:09 PM
putting shoes on

Dear dont worry about getting your shoes on post op. Why? cause you wont be seeing your feet for awhile.
Unread 10-08-2006, 05:29 PM
putting shoes on

Why not treat yourself to a pair after your pre-op appt.! I wore a pair of non-slip fuzzy socks at the castle and the nurse put them on for me. Then I was able to sleep with them on. They kept my tootsies warm and I could walk in them too! I got them at JC Penney for about $6. They have that non-slip stuff like toddlers have on their PJ's. I mostly wore a pair of flip flops around the house. On Week 1 you will probably be in a nightgown most of the time. So go treat yourself to a new one or two. After all - You deserve it!
Unread 10-08-2006, 05:41 PM
putting shoes on

I got a really nice pair of slip on walking shoes at walmart for about $25. I opted for the mesh sides as my feet are super hot but they had regular leather slip on walking shoes mine are dr. sholls. THey look just like tennis shoes but no backs. I love them. SUPER comfy.
Unread 10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
putting shoes on

Lily took the words right out of my mouth...slip on shoes. A true Godsend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register