Can (should) you keep cervix with ovca? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can (should) you keep cervix with ovca? Can (should) you keep cervix with ovca?

Unread 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Can (should) you keep cervix with ovca?

I know there's already been a lot of talk out there about this topic, but I just wanted to see if anyone with ovca was able to keep their cervix. I don't know yet what my surgeon is going to recommend...just want as much info as possible before-hand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2006, 08:18 PM

From the Mayo Clinic website it says:

If cancer is found during surgical exploration of your abdominal cavity, the surgeon performs definitive surgical treatment at that time. In most cases the ideal treatment requires that your surgeon remove both ovaries and also your uterus, fallopian tubes, nearby lymph glands and a fold of fatty tissue known as the omentum, where ovarian cancer often spreads.

The cervix is part of the uterus so it is also removed. You can talk with your surgeon about this, but removing the cervix is a pretty standard protocol.

When do you see your doctor so you can ask him all the questions you need to for your particular situation? Make a list so you can remember all the questions you have.

Jane
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM

I agree with Jane. Do you have a gynie oncologist performing your surgery? They will take samples for test during the surgery and determine how extensive the debulking must be. I trusted my doc after talking about all the possiblities he may find and trusted his decision. My concern was get it all or as much as humanly possible during the surgery. My success in overcoming and dealing with ovca was my priority. I have smaller children but also am 50 yrs. old, so fertility was not an issue and I thought if everything else is removed as my doc anticipated to be highly likely in my case, why content with possible cancer of the cervix or another area for the cancer to spread if not necessary.
I have had no complications from the surgery and feel very positive about my future right now.

Good luck and be very forthright with your surgeon before it takes place. A long interview with all your questions and being firm to receive the answers you need will help set your mind at rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2006, 12:39 PM

My surgeon said that I could keep my cervix unless she found evidence of cancer in which case she was taking it out. She found cancer and now I've got no cervix.
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:20 PM

I had ovca stage IIIc. Cervix and everything else is gone. I think I would be more worried if it wasn't
Unread 10-12-2006, 06:23 AM

Hi,

I had the same thoughts as Brighton. I wanted to get EVERYTHING out because I was NOT leaving ANY opportunity for the little demons to set up housekeeping if I could do anything to prevent it...removing the most likely 'bed & breakfasts" was my choice.

Good luck with yours.
xoxo
k9
Unread 10-12-2006, 04:44 PM

Hi...When I had my surgery my gyne/onc left my cervix. I don't know why.
Bertha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register