IV Therapy with IP Therapy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IV Therapy with IP Therapy IV Therapy with IP Therapy

Unread 10-11-2006, 07:39 AM
IV Therapy with IP Therapy

This is my first post after having thankfully learned of this website two weeks ago. I had my debulking surgery on 9/18. I am stage 3C Ovarian cancer. It has helped me so much to read your thoughts and comments. Thank you to all of you for your honesty and sharing.
I initially was only going to have IV therapy but I was also referred to a clinical trial that was being offered. It is IV Therapy with IP Therapy and an added drug Avastin. It means I have to have an abdominal port put in which I am afraid of although I feel much better after reading some posts here. Day 1 of treatment is IV Paclitaxel, Day 2 is IP Cisplatin but a lower dose than is usually given, Day 8 is IP Paclitaxel. The Avastin which is a very promising drug is added during the second cycle.
There is a total of 6 cycles. I know this sounds silly but I really feel the need to return to "me". I want to be able to work and take care of my family as well as myself. I want to put my cancer behind me so I am thinking to go with the more aggressive therapy in the hopes of doing this just once. Please share your experiences with me especially those of you that have undergone or are going through the IP therapy. I am having a difficult time of the thought of this and the placement of the port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2006, 10:16 AM

I haven't had IP therapy, but the data are extremely promising on it. The drugs go right into the area where the cancer was. Survival rates are longer with IP. It can be harder than IV chemo, I've heard--but if you have a chance to try it, I'd say to give it your very best shot.
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Hi LillyB,the ip therapy is more popular now and there are a couple ladies that I am sure will be here to give more particular advise. I have been one year with ovca and am taking topotecan now for a recurrence. My concern with IP was the extra invasive step since my surgery was healed and how thorough the washing by IP would be if there was much scarring and adhesions in my abdomen. My doc advised the same.
We all want to be aggressive for our health and get on with life. If we gather all the info we can and make the best decision we feel comfortable with, that is ahuge step. I pray this treatment will do the job for you and you will be clean and free for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2006, 04:26 PM

s lillyb

As far as the placement of the chest port, it is a piece of cake. No big deal at all.

IP therapy became hot news after I was originally diagnosed, so it wasn't really an option for me. But, I so admire your courage to participate in the IP program along with the IV treatment.

We've all been thru the "i just wanna be normal" again stage. It's tough, and you will find that your life will never be the same again. But, this journey will make you realize so many blessings in your life. Your appreciation for the little things will become profound.

We're here for you. Be sure to let us know how things go.

Unread 10-11-2006, 05:01 PM

Basketnut, you are right a chest port is a quick outpatient procedure. The abdominal port for ovca is a different issue. LillyB has already had surgery and may be healed so an abdominal port would require an extra invasive procedure in the area of the cancer cells which increases the chance of scattering the cancer cells into surrounding tissue. This is my understanding. Some are now having the abdominal port installed as a matter of procedure when their initial debulking surgery is performed.
Unread 10-11-2006, 09:56 PM

Hi Lily,

I am undergoing IV and IP therapy now. Your treatment protocol sounds like mine except that I don't think I have Avastin. (i'll check at my next doctor visit). My abdominal port was placed under general anasthesia exactly 6 weeks after my hyterectectomy and debulking. I was also diagnosed ovca stage IIIc. The port hurt for a few days but after 10 days I was hardly aware of it unless I laid wrong or had a bra that reached too far down. My worst time was my first treatment cycle, especially the first week...I wasn't nauseated, but had no appetite and was unable to hold down food or water. Diarrhea too. It may have been worse because they started chemo right after I became concious after installing the IP port. It took me about 3-4 days to start feeling better. I slept most of the time. All my other treatments have been much better. I started going to work part time since chemo and seeing the doctor is like having another part-time job. The ony thing I face is some fatigue, so I take a little longer lunch so I can take a nap at work. I excercise lightly about 4 times a week and have started a yoga class at the rec center. I think I anticipated chemo as being much worse than what it actually is. I have one more IP treatment next week and will complete my 4th cycle with 2 more cycles to go. I am hoping that this treatment will eradicate all the remaining rogue cells with in me. My C125 was 120 befor chemo, 52 after the first cycle, 13 after the second cycle, and 10 after the third. I'm sure I'll be able to complete all 6 cycles before December as long as my blood counts stay as good as they have been and I don't become ill. Good luck to you as well as any other ladies undergoing any treatment at this time. I know that you can get thru this bend in the road. :superman:

God Bless
Marcia
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:34 AM

Hi, Lily!

I'm also doing IP treatment but with a somewhat different protocol because my grade 1 ovca is resistant to the usual taxol/platinum combo.

My IP port was placed during my debulking surgery, which has become standard with many gyn/onc surgeons in this area if they obtain optimal debulking. The results from the taxol/platinum trials were really promising -- not only longer survival times, btu also longer times to recurrence. And this was true even though a fairly high percentage in teh original trialas didn't complete all 6 rounds of IP and switched off to all IV during their course of treatment. It takes strong evidence for NCI (National Cancer Institute) to send out a statement saying tis should now become the standard first line treatment.

The addition of Avastin sounds interesting! Avastin has had good results in other forms of cancer. Here's hoping it works some of its magic for us!

I sure hear and understand FaithFirst's concerns about having another invasive procedure to place an IP port. It's something where I'd definitely have to weigh the risks vs. the benefits. For first-line treatment and following recent optimal debulking surgery, I'd probably go for it -- but that's just me. You have to do what you think is right for you and your situation. (FaithFirst -- I dont't think I'd do it a year after debulking and when dealing with a recurrence either!)

Lily, keep us posted. Good kuck with the port placement.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register