Returning to work???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work???? Returning to work????

Unread 10-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Returning to work????

I continue to be amazed at all these posts of women going back to work 2 weeks after surgery. Bravo!!!
I don't know if I'm already a wimp - but I'm having an LAVH on Nov 17th and I told my work I would be out for 6 weeks - I work on a busy Labor and Delivery unit - lots of standing, holding heavy legs of mom's who have epidurals, pushing beds to the operating room.....
Yes I'm a nurse, but not when I'm the patient.
I don't have my preop until Oct 25 and my doctor will give me more specifics on the time off from work etc.
Is 4 weeks more realistic? Will my doctor even give me 6 weeks?
I'm hoping not to work Christmas, it's my holiday to work and I'd like to be home with my family.

Gigi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Returning to work????

No one's a wimp here, honey, especially a nurse. We may all heal at different rates, and our jobs also play a major role in when we can return. With your demanding job, I wouldn't blame you one bit for taking off as much as necessary.
Unread 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Returning to work????

Take your 6 weeks!! Rest Relaxe then you will be 100%when you go back!!

Sherri 31 LAVH, BSO A&P 10/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Returning to work????

I went back at 2 weeks (even tried to work at 8 days post op but only managed one day). However, that was only because I own a daycare center (over 200 kids) and didn't have a choice. And my doctor is one of those that believes that the faster you get back to normal the better (in his previous life he probably encouraged those women to squat in the fields to have a baby, strap the baby to her boob, and get back to work). So I absolutely, 100% believe that, if you have a job that tolerates it and a doctor who allows it, then take every single, solitary minute you can get your hands on. As women we work way too hard anyway (in and out of the home). So you go girl. Take the time and enjoy your Christmas if you can arrange it. Good luck with your coming surgery!!

Rhonda
Unread 10-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Returning to work????

I had a LAVH and went back to work at 7 weeks post-op. I did half days the first week, then full days at 8 weeks. I don't think I could have gone back to work any earlier, and I have a desk job that isn't as physically demanding as your job sounds. I think 6 weeks is entirely reasonable.
Unread 10-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Returning to work????

Six weeks for sure! Maybe you will get lucky and get 7-8 weeks. If you have a good relationship with your doc, maybe you could ask for him/her to "restrict" you through the first of the year...
Unread 10-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Returning to work????

I am also having a LAVH/BSO on November 17th. My gyn suggested I could be back at work after only 10 days. Now I am confused. My preop is Nov. 7th.
Unread 10-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Returning to work????

Alot depends on your doctor, your surgery, complications if any and the type of work you do. Everyone heals differently. And being a nurse, I would think that you will want at least six weeks if not eight weeks off (my moms a nurse and I know how hard they work). Talk over your concerns with your doctor.
Unread 10-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Returning to work????

I am having a LAVH on 10/26 and the surgeon asked what I did for a living. I told him I an a secretary and he said that I would easily be out of work for 6 weeks. That is what I told my boss and my boss said, "don't worry about your job, worry about your recovery." So, I'll play it by ear with following up with the doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register