TLH - My Total Laparoscopic and IC Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TLH - My Total Laparoscopic and IC Story TLH - My Total Laparoscopic and IC Story

Unread 10-14-2006, 02:02 PM
TLH Total laparascopic and IC story

I had my total laparascopic hysterectomy (uterus and cervix) on 10/3/06. Surgery was at 7:30am with 2 doctors - one did the hysterectomy, and the other assisted and did bladder distention to check for interstitial cystitis, or IC. Backround - I had a tubal ligation in 1999, as well as my first endometrial balloon ablation to try and stop heavy periods. It worked for a year, and then they started to come back. I had a second endometrial microwave ablation in 03/05 as well as a LEEP procedure, cone biopsy, for cervical dysplasia. In 03/06 I still felt crappy, and started leaking urine. My gyn had no answers. I saw 2 other gyn doctors - one said there was nothing wrong with me, the other thought endometriosis. I went back to my regular gyn, still feeling awful, still leaking, and she had no ideas. No one ordered any tests. Determined to find an answer, I made an appt. with a uro-gynecologist that specialized in urinary issues. By the time I saw him, I was urinating constantly. He listened. He ordered an ultrasound. I had previously had 4 transvaginal ultrasounds before, never had a problem. This one was so painful it brought tears to my eyes. The results showed my endometrial lining was back AGAIN only a year after the last ablation, and appeared to be growing into my uterus, causing my pain - this is called adenomyosis. He recommended a hysterectomy and bladder testing. I was so relieved that finally something would be done to help me. Two weeks before surgery I had a CMG or cystometrogram to test my bladder. After the hysterectomy and under anesthesia, I had a cystoscopy or cystourethroscopy done - my doctor saw the pinprick blood signs of IC, and I was told there was more blood from my bladder than from the entire surgery. After surgery, I was in no pain but had to urinate - I had in a foley catheter until the next day. The hopital and my husband were wonderful. The foley was just not positioned to drain properly (the tube was kind of long) but when we raised it up and down and moved it a little it drained and I felt great. I immediately felt like a heavy rock had been removed from me (my uterus) and it was a great feeling. I was on a morphine pump that I could use every 6 minutes, but I maybe used it once or twice an hour. I also received IV pain medication, like super Tylenol. I had a liquid dinner. Walked around at 10:00pm with a nurse. At 4am I felt nauseated probably due to the lack of food and amount of meds, but the nurse gave me something in the IV immediately, and that took it away and I back to sleep. Ate a light breakfast, had the foley out, and was able to urinate 4 times on my own. I was discharged around noon the day after the surgery. That night and the next day I took Vicodin - I was in some pain when I had to bend (get out of bed, sit on the toilet, or lay flat in bed). I found it much easier to lay in a recliner or chair with ottoman, and holding a pillow to my abdomen helped as well. The third day after surgery I felt nauseated again, but feel this was due to the Vicodin. I stopped taking them, and took 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours after calling my dr. and felt fine with that. He also gave me some anti-nausea pills that I only needed twice. Today is about one and 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I see my doctor in another 4 weeks to check the cervical stitches and discuss the IC diagnosis. I don't have the pathology back yet on the uterus and cervix. I still have slight pain like a muscle pull, but feel so much better. I have lost weight. On the weird side, for some reason I am laughing more than I used to, and have a much keener sense of taste and smell. Please email me if you have any questions or need support - I am so very thankful to God, my doctors and for the TLH procedure, IC tests, and hope this helps someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register