lost and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lost and confused lost and confused

Unread 10-15-2006, 04:50 AM
lost and confused

Hi, I am new here and I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this site!! It is exactly what I needed.
I just found out that I have andenomyosis, also interstitional cystitis. I am having a TVH along with a bladder repair with mesh?!? My problem is as of right now my GYN says from the tests he has done my ovaries seem to be ok, if he sees otherwise during my surgery he will definitely take them, however if they are healthy it is up to me to decide whether to keep or to let him go ahead and take them?? I suffer from major depression and my moods are so up and down, I have been on all sorts of meds, some seem to help for a while and then I have to switch. Now I am wondering if it could all be hormonal and maybe taking my ovaries might help my situation???
I am a 35 yr old single mom, My depression has pretty much ruled my life for the past 6+ years!! I work a crazy swing shift job and between that and the kids I don't have time for a social life........My mother has really been there for me but between her own health problems and taking care of my dad who is recovering (quit well I might add ) from a battle with colon cancer, I hate to add to her worries, she worries about me enough already.
My Dr told me that everyone is different and that he cannot tell me that it would or would not help the situation.......I'm thinking maybe if I let him take my ovaries and then go on HRT maybe I can get my moods and everything on one level?!?!? I hope this doesn't sound silly, I am grasping at anything, I really want my life back so I can move forward.
Has anyone ever faced anything like this or know anything about it? I don't know what to do and my surgery is on Oct. 20!!
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, You just don't know how much. THANK YOU for taking the time!!

Unread 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
lost and confused

s

It sounds to me that you are having the most problems with your serotonin levels being out of whack. As I learned after my surgery, the entire endocrine system is very intertwined and complicated. You could benefit from finding an excellent endocrinologist, as I have found to help me. I take Lexapro to help keep my serotonin levels in check.

As for your ovaries.........I firmly believe you should hang onto healthy ones as long as possible. I kept my ovaries...........they quit on me 1 year later, after a viral infection.......that's when my serotonin levels went beserk. I had no idea that sudden menopause could affect chemicals coming from a gland in my brain! I've also learned that.....even after ovaries stop producing the sex hormones, they still provide other functions to protect your heart and bones.

In summary, even though keeping my healthy ovaries didn't work out exactly as hoped, I do not regret keeping them.....and, I was 47 when I had my hysterectomy. Especially because of your young age, I personally believe you should try to hang onto them, if you can. That's just my opinion.

And.....I hate to tell you this......but, working a swing shift is one of the worst things (besides working night shift) you can do, if you have problems with depression. I had to quit swing shifting, and it made a huge difference for me.

I have found life-altering help by seeing a good endocrinologist. Maybe you could, too! Take care, Princess..................s.....Deb
Unread 10-21-2006, 10:29 AM
lost and confused

Good luck & I hope it all goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register