dress and shoes. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dress and shoes. dress and shoes.

Unread 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
dress and shoes.

Please tell me is it ok to wear heels and walk. Also is wearing jeans ok, i had TAH, feel quite normal only abdomen is stightly tight and bulky. Please advic efrom experience dear sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 12:02 PM
dress and shoes.

Heena ~ I couldn't even imagine wearing heels. I'm still opting for comfort these days in pajamas, sweats and tennis shoes. My tummy is still too swollen and tender for street clothes. Oh how I long for some jeans!

This post was perfectly timed...I have an interesting dilemma. My boyfriend has tickets to a fund raising Ball for the local hospital. The Ball is on 10.28 at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago (about a 1 hour drive from my home). That means a tux for him and a formal gown for me. We went last year and had a wonderful time. I'd love to go again but I'm so uncertain about exhaustion from shopping in the mall, buying a dress with swelly belly still hanging around, walking in heels, having the energy to be at the Ball for a few hours and being in the car for 2 hours. But I really do need the night out and I'd like to go. I think he might too.

What would you ladies do??
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
dress and shoes.

Heels were not a problem for me but I still can't wear jeans. The fabric rubs against my vertical incision and it gets really sore within a couple of hours.

Marilyn - I would get a hotel room close by to the Museum so that you can go and not have to drive another hour home. I would also look for dressy ballet flats so that you don't have to concern yourself with heels. Can you wear the same dress as last year? (I know perish the thought but it would save you from having to go shopping)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 12:47 PM
dress and shoes.

Song ~ The hotel suggestion is a wonderful idea. I'll talk to my boyfriend about this tonight because hotels in Chicago are VERY expensive.

I've thought about wearing the same dress I wore last year but that won't work because I've lost 30 pounds since then (due to high blood pressure and a diabetes scare). I'm afraid I might be gaining it back post-op though.
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:24 PM
dress and shoes.

heena,
Everyone is different. Some women are able to comfortably wear jeans after a few months, while others it may be a bit or alot longer. Same with heels. I would start by wearing them around the house for a bit and see how you do. This way if you're uncomfortable you can change into more comfy attire. If you do have to change, give it another week or two, than try again. Don't rush it, you are still really early post op. Healing takes time. And patience.
Unread 10-17-2006, 06:11 PM
dress and shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBoiler
Song ~ The hotel suggestion is a wonderful idea. I'll talk to my boyfriend about this tonight because hotels in Chicago are VERY expensive.

I've thought about wearing the same dress I wore last year but that won't work because I've lost 30 pounds since then (due to high blood pressure and a diabetes scare). I'm afraid I might be gaining it back post-op though.
It's too bad we don't live closer so you could shop in my closet. I have so many formal dresses in all kinds of sizes.

Congrats on the 30 lbs loss. Just remember the swelly feeling you have right now will go away and you'll be feeling svelte again soon.
Unread 10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
dress and shoes.

Heena: I would be a bit cautious about heels while you recover. I think it's better for us all to be a bit closer to the ground while we're still healing and flatter shoes provide us that extra bit of balance.

LadyBoiler: I agree that a hotel would be your best option if you choose to go. You could check www.hotrooms.com for cheaper rates. They specialize in Chicago hotel deals. You may even be able to find one just a bit outside of main city big hotels that would save a bit of money.

Nothing like dressing up to feel like a girly-girl again, but take care not to overdo it and have a spare pair of sweats in the car!

Fairney
Unread 10-18-2006, 12:28 AM
dress and shoes.

OH I hear ya. I was dying to wear my heels. All my cute sandals were heels. I tried and it almost killed me! Very painful to have everything thrust forward. I found that platforms were a good option after a few more weeks. Still had the height I wanted, but not at the cost of hurting later. Now I can wear heels for a short time. I wore boots with a platform and heel Saturday night and it was mostly sitting, little walking and it was ok. A bit sore, but not awful. I am at 8 weeks.
Unread 10-18-2006, 03:33 AM
dress and shoes.

I attended a wedding when I was 4 weeks post op. I was surprised that wearing heels was a bit difficult. It seemed to throw me off balance and I sure didn't want to have to walk far. Plus they weren't even that high. Try it out ahead of time. I didn't think of it or I would have.
It was a very tiring day and I didn't have to drive far so I think the hotel idea is a great one. Just getting ready, doing my hair and make-up tired me out.
Also, standing for too long is hard so sit as much as possible.

Good luck and have fun!!
Unread 10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
dress and shoes.

Hi there!

I wore heels yesterday for the first time and felt a little sore by time I got home - luckily I didn't walk about too much. My advise is to try the heels, but carry a pair of flats, just in case.
There are actually a lot of really nice flat evening shoes out there and even jeweled ballet slippers are in right now. Believe me - if I can wear flats for 2 1/2 months, everbody can!
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register