To keep or Remove Overies during TAH??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep or Remove Overies during TAH??? To keep or Remove Overies during TAH???

Unread 10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
To keep or Remove Overies during TAH???

Hi ladies.. I am new to the boards and have copied my intro below..

I have a question and would love to know how many of you have kept your overies and why and for those that had them removed as well why?

My doc is definately going to do a TAH but we are trying to decide on the BSO or not.. basically I have had issues with PCOS for years, lots of pain and numerours cysts, he wants to remove them so that I don;t have to go thru more surgeries in the future and since they are part of my pain issues.. but he is cautious since I am just shy of 35 and worry's about putting me into menopause.. Plus he is worried that what if this does not solve all my pain and I still have some issues post op?

Any advice/thoughts?

My inclination is to take it all as my overies have caused much of my pain..

Mandy

Hi Ladies.. well I will try to be brief.. I am 34 (almost 35) and have suffered from PCOS (since 13) and "suspected endometriosis" (since I was 21). From 13 to 20 I had multiple open abdominal surgeries to remove cysts and adhesions and since that time I have been on multiple differ BCP options to try to help with my cycles, period pain and bleeding and other "ovarian" pain prior to and after my periods.

I went thru several years of infertility treatments never to conceive (I have since adopted 2 beautiful baby boys). And now after dealing with awful pain and bleeding for 23 years I have decided that a hysterectomy is the best thing. My doc's all agree about the hyst. but there is some concern about wether I should also have a BSO at the same time.. they said if I was 45 they would not be asking the same question, they just want to make sure that putting me into such an early menopause is the right thing and that it will actually help all my pain.

So.. they want to start me on Lupron for 3 months make sure that my pain is helped, and then move forward with the TAH/BSO.

Any advice is welcome.. I am hesitant to do the Lupron as I have heard awful things about it.. plus I have been thru so many tests and "try this" options I am about at the end of my rope.

Basically I have made peace witht he fact that my body was never able to make babies, and I am ok with losing my uterus since I have my children and it never worked anyway.. now I am just done being a pin cusion and done with all the tests.. I just want to move on with my life, be as pain free as possible and enjoy my kids.. I want to stop having to lie in bed for days due to pain and bleeding..

So.. thats me in a nut shell.. any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2006, 10:25 AM

I didn't enjoy the Lupron at all. Yes, it stopped my periods and allowed the fibroids to shrink, but, the side effects weren't too good and I still have some of them. I had a TVH, I'm 48, and asked that if the ovaries were OK they should stay. They stayed. I don't think they're working yet because I'm having nights sweats.

The Lupron gave me night sweats, aching joints, and changed the texture of my hair to curlier and coarse.
Unread 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Mandy, you're facing such a difficult decision, and your situation is complex. For what it's worth, I kept one ovary (tho it had a cyst which was removed during the TLVH). Haven't had a hot flash, and my pre-surgery mood swings have completely eased up. I decided that I preferred natural menopause to surgical, if possible.
But you've had such a time with your physical state that putting it all behind you must be an appealing option to you.
In any event, so nice to see your strength of mind and fortitude, your lovely story of adopting two boys and being emotionally grateful and graceful.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
shari

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register