new girl | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
new girl

Hey Ya'll,
I had my complete hysterectomy back in April of 06 and was put on the Vivelle Dot right away...gained 30 lbs and went up 2 bra sizes, felt preg, had hot flashes, dizziness, hungry all the time, crying. So my doc lowered it, I wanted to try being off...so I took myself off. Probably shouldn't have but will let her know tommorrow. Just wanted to know if anyone has successfully not had any or few symptoms. I seemed to have stopped swelling and gaining. What do ya'll think?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
new girl

I know it is hard to know which way to go with hrt. I have been off and on it since '03 and when I get off I have too many symptoms. I have found that if I take a low dose hrt it curbs most of the symptoms and no bloating and weight gain. If I take too high a dose then it cuts out all the symptoms completely and I have side effects that are not good, so I compromise and take low dose and I can live with an occassional hot flash that doesn't even happen every day now. I think it actually has gotten better every year. I have gradually lowered the dose over the years and I have less symptoms compared to what I had after surgery.

You might take it a few years, and then very slightly lower over the years, sort of like what we would normally have done with the ovaries if we went through menopause naturally.

Let us know how you do and what you decided to do.

s
Unread 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
new girl

I don't have much experience with HRT, but what I do know is that as soon as I got home and removed the estrogen patch that was placed on me while I was in the hospital following my hysterectomy, I felt better within an hour. And it's only gotten better since then. I feel like my old self again. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2006, 07:49 AM
new girl

I'm 7 months out.. took Premarin for 4 months, lower dose for 1 month, estriodole for 1 month, higher dose for 1 month,, docs were going to put me on cenestin,,, I went home and closed the medicine cabinet and have not taken anything since!!! Its three weeks, no hot flashes worth mentioning, sleeping better, no joint pain, bowels are normal again, and I am more energetic. I was treated horribly by my docs, and was tired of them telling me I had to be depressed, that was why I gained 32 lbs!!! [email protected]#[email protected]#$ to them!! The weight just started to come off this week,,2 lbs, but its better then gaining it. I'm walking for at least an hour 5/6 days a week, and watching what I eat. This is going to be the hardest 30 lbs to loose, so I have been told by all who have been through it, but I will get it off along with the other 50 I already needed to lose. I'm so sorry your going through this too, its really horrible. I was beginning to think I was nuts, and depression was actually starting to settle in.. We're not alone though, please feel free to vent to me anytime!!
hugs to you, and best wishes
Donna
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:53 AM
new girl

Wanted to add something..I am taking Womens 1 A DAy.. extra calcium, and some flax seed oil tabs by GNC. I try to drink soy light choc milk a few times a week, and no major caffiene besides my morning coffee.. You'll find what works best for you,, I did a lot of reading before I decided to stop all together, and even said some prayers about it,, I know this is whats best for me right now.
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
thanks ya'll

I have/am doing research, am so overwhelmed by all the vitamines out there, kind of scared to take anything at this point. I do need calcium though, I think. I tried the women's one a day, but have mitral valve prolapse and so the green tea in it made me jumpy..did someone say some kind of oil?
thanksagain,
ya'll are really helping me get through this!
Heather

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register