new book that is out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new book that is  out new book that is out

Unread 10-19-2006, 08:54 PM
new book that is out

I don't know if we can mention names of books and authors, but there is a new book out by a certain movie star that promotes bio's. I like all her books, and have all of them. But this new one has me wondering. Under the section on "hysterectomy" she states that when the brain recognizes you as no longer reproductive, you could get the cancers that you were trying to avoid if you don't take bio's. I'm taking the climara with no progesterone on my docs recommendation. I've also read from someone on hystersisters taht her mother had a hysterectomy when very young, never took ANY hormones and is now 88yr old and has only slight arthritis.I wonder if anyone else has read her book and what you thought. I haven't read it yet. Just browsed through it, since I just got it today. BUt from what I've read, it sure shook me up. Maybe there is more and I need to read on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 11:03 PM
new book that is out

I just finished the book you mentioned, Falldc, and I was shaken by a lot of what I read, however, I think she makes some good points about good nutrition, living a healthy lifestyle, and bioidentical hormones. I read Dr. John Lee's book (sold on this website) about bioidenticals and was very impressed with the research based facts that I found there and am convinced that bioidentical hormones are the way to go. My doctor had already prescribed Estradiol before I read the book, but I had beenhesitant to start taking it. After I finished the book, and particularly whenI started experiencing night sweats and hot flashes, I started on it last night. I hope to get some relief soon. But in reading the former movie stars' book, I had to keep telling myself that a lot of information given there was from her own personal experience, and that does not represent all women, and that the book was primarily her opinion and not research-based.
Unread 10-19-2006, 11:25 PM
new book that is out

I also have the new book and I've only read a few sections so far. I posted on another thread about the personal views expressed in the book that seem to me be generalizations that are aren't based on reliable research. I don't mind reading other "opinions" ... but I hate when one person's reality is presented as if it should or could apply to all of us. I appreciate the advice that women should learn about medical options and be partners in our own care with doctors. I bought the book to learn more about bioidentical hormones. I was post-menopausal before surgery, and I haven't used any hormones yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 11:33 PM
new book that is out

What's the book. I am curious. Are bioidenticals much better. I am taking them but are they really much better and why. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Someone asked me about bioidenticals today and my mind drew a blank as to why they are better.
Unread 10-20-2006, 05:18 AM
new book that is out

polliani3, I'm taking estradiol patch (climara) which is bioidentical because I feel better about taking something natural rather than synthetic. But not everything works for everybody. I have a friend who has taken premarin (synthetic hormone estragin) for 20 yrs since her hysterectomy and is still taking it, and feels wonderful. She doesn't want to stop ever. I think its a personal decision that you reach after talking to your doctor, doing some reading and research on your own as well. The author of the book had to recently have a hysterectomy for mild atypical hyperplasia. She said it was pre-pre cancer cells. She's been taking hormones for 5 yrs. So there is no set rules for protection against cancers. We can't know for certain what triggers it either. I'm weighing the pro's and con's and going from there as far as hormone decisons go.
Unread 10-20-2006, 09:12 AM
new book that is out

The book is "The Sexy Years" by Suzanne Sommers. It's sold on this website. As for the question about what are bioidenticals..........They are hormones that may be compounded by a pharmacy or made by a pharmaceutical company, BUT they are exactly like the hormones our bodies make. On the other hand, the "other" hormones that are offered are synthetic hormones, created by pharmaceutical companies by adding atoms to the molecules of the ingredients in order to patent the drug so that no other company can make money off of their product and research. Women have the right to make a choice, based on their own research and doctors' adivice. For me, the choice is to use bioidenticals. But for those women that take the synthetics and are happy with the results, that's wonderful too. At least we have lots of choices to find what works for each individual woman.
Unread 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM
New Book, just released

Suzanne Somers just released a new book called "Ageless." In this one she speaks about having a hysterectomy in 2005, interviews several doctors about hormone therapy, etc., and makes some comments that, in my opinion, are way too general about the consequences of surgery. (see first post)
Unread 10-20-2006, 01:20 PM
new book that is out

Come on you gals, why would you think that the opinion of a movie star should be taken more seriously than the (hopefully) research-based ideas given by your doctor, or by scientists who have conducted research on the topic?

Why do we let these people (the movie stars) have such significance in our society?

I prefer to do my own "research" by reading the scientific literature and research papers in peer-reviewed journals. This means that scientists have reviewed the papers and determined that the data (results) support the conclusions the authors are making. This doesn't happen when a book is published, the only concerns by the editor of a book are whether or not the book will sell lots (make lots of $$) and to ensure the publisher won't get sued.
Unread 10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
new book that is out

polliani3, have you had a chance to read any of the articles her ein the Jungle about bioidenticals? They explain really well the differences in hormones and the pros and cons to both synthetic and bioidenticals. As for the book, I won't waste my time reading it as I agree totally with Janabailey. Just mho.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register