half way there !! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

half way there  !! half way there !!

Unread 05-26-2001, 05:52 AM
half way there !!

Oh, Robyn!

It is so wonderful that you are getting through this without any problems. I truly wish everyone could get through it without any side effects. It seems so unfair that first you go through the trauma of learning you have cancer. Then you have to tell everyone. Then you have to go to treatments that make you feel bad (sometimes, not always). It just isn't fair.

But let me tell you about medical people (I'm one, so I feel like I can speak frankly about the medical world). Obviously, I'm not talking about ALL medical people, just a lot of them. We get in this mode of "A happens, then B happens, the result is C". Some of it is personality (we think in linear fashion rather than spherical) and some of it is training. Some of it is a control issue (if something different happens then we have to analyze why because there MUST be a reason--it keeps it orderly ) A lot of it is the thought that you should always prepare the patient for the worst so they know what they have to deal with (and this is legally necessary now). These people have seen thousands of patients come and go, so they know the normal routine. After thousands look the same, you fall into a pattern of assuming that means ALL will look the same or at least follow a similar course. And out of the goodness of their hearts, they keep telling you there will be side effects so that you are ready and won't fall on your face. It's really a vicious circle I've been blessed many times over with people who have broken the mold and it has forced me to look outside the box all the time. I hope this has made me a better practitioner, and a better person.

I'm sorry you have to keep going to this negative place. It must make it difficult for you to keep your positive attitude. I was honored recently to go to the oncologist with my mother-in-law who was just diagnosed with lung cancer. The man was wonderful! He spoke so freely about prayer and trying to beat the odds, and there were Bibles all over the waiting room! The man truly radiates God's goodness and love. We are so fortunate!

I wish you continued wonderful treatments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2001, 07:21 AM
half way there !!

Hi gals!

You know, this brings to mind some situations I had when I was going thru the rounds of chemo.

Most people, have absolutely NO idea what happens to a person going thru chemo and/or radiation therapy. Two of my bosses have dealt personally with cancer and chemo so it was (a bit) easier on the work front.

However, I still hit my road blocks quite often You either get the folks that think you should just be up and running, full speed, that the only side effect chemo, for instance, has is nausea!

Or, on the other hand, you get the others that baby the heck out of you, thinking you can't DO anything! Same false ideas they have for radiation. UGH!

I did surprise my Dr quite a bit, they kept telling me most people would not be working full time, not able to get out and do anything, but a couple of times, I even was able to go . It was wonderful I could but I was really worried the wig would go flying! I did have my share of side effects, they were certainly not pleasant but I think I was part of the minority in the side effects department.

The one thing that bugged me the most is when the cells showed up in my lung, they started talking about applying for disability! I told them if they thought I was gonna give up, they had another think coming! Another thing I told him was that if HE was giving up on me, I would be finding a new Dr. Thank goodness that didn't happen because he really IS a great Dr.

I don't know exactly what kept me going, a large part was positive attitude but in addition to that, I'm a one income household so had no choice if the bills were going to get paid. Not to mention a bit stubborn!

Some of us unfortunately will experience more severe side effects than others, don't have any idea as to WHY, it just happens. I agree with Jeanine, its just so unfair that you have to feel so sick to get WELL!

{{Zoe}} and {{Val}}, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such nasty side effects. Please hang in there, you are SO strong and WILL get thru this! We're all here for you, praying and for support anytime you need.

I truly believe that He will not give us more than we can handle.

Big Group {{HUG}} for all my cancer sisters!

Bless you all,

Vicki
Unread 05-26-2001, 07:54 AM
half way there !!

Just 3 words Vicki....

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

**** girl........you should be writing books!!
You have a wonderful way with words!!!!

M. xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2001, 06:12 PM
half way there !!

Hello,

I appreciate so much that we can feel free to even talk about our treatments and how God works in our lives. It is so unfortunate that too many support groups want to be politically correct and in trying not to offend anyone they leave out the most vital part. Even when we don't understand why we must go through hard times, what an amazing indescribable delight that we can discover a new depth of relationship to God. The challenge is continuing with that new depth when the biggest reminder of our these difficult times may be an every six month follow up visit with the doctor.

Robyn - I was afraid that perhaps it was me that you felt negative vibes from and I certainly didn't want that. Thanks for clearing that up. I think you have shown incredible courage and I have the upmost respect for you.

Vicki - You are truly an inspiration. Thanks again for your kind words.

I do wonder how long it takes the side effects to leave after the radiation is over. I haven't even really asked much about the internal...quite frankly I don't think I want to know. Let me live in my ignorant bliss until June 7th. Well...I do know about the famous dilator, and that is knowing way too much.

Peace, love and joy to all! And platform leopard shoes...cause... gosh... a girl just wants to feel pretty.
Unread 05-26-2001, 07:27 PM
half way there !!

Zoe,
It seems we run neck and neck with everything. I am having my internal June 5th. Is yours a hospital stay for approximately 24 - 30 hours? Just wondering.
I struggle between wanting to know it all, and then suddenly not wanting to know a thing. I can't decide what makes me feel better..
Valentina
Unread 05-27-2001, 04:19 AM
half way there !!

Hello Zoe, ........ how long does it take to recover from the radiation side effects? I read in a book, by a reputable oncology nurse that radiation continues to be active for a while after the last treatment, usually for as long again as your treatment, but lessening each day. Just remember that this too shall pass and you won't always feel this way.

Ahhhhhh, the dilator I have been given mine, and I don't even want to look at it , think about it or use it. again. But it is important to use it or have sex at least 3 times a week . The things we have to go through.

My internal radiation treatment is planned for June 21 and 22 . I am in the lead lined room , connected to the machine for approx. 24 hours. This is the low dose treatment. Like you, I am not even thinking about it until the time is nearer. I think I will go mad in that room. I know just about all there is to know about it, except experience as I have read and asked questions, but that is because I am the type of person that needs to know everything

If you read Molly's post at the top of the cancer concerns she tell alot about it. She is also quite happy for you to email her if you would like. Another girl who had radiation is hurriedh, she is also quite happy to answer questions. We are so lucky to have so much support.

Love to you always Zoe and take good care x x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register