ER show -- I realize it is only TV but - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ER show -- I realize it is only TV but ER show -- I realize it is only TV but

Unread 01-05-2007, 07:49 AM
ER show -- I realize it is only TV but

Quote:
Originally Posted by otessa
I noticed that also Janet...the first thing I noticed was that a couple of hours after giving birth by C-section and having a TAH/BSO, she was sitting straight up! Are you KIDDING me? I realize she didn't have general anesthesia, but come on...your stomach was cut wide open and you lost a lot blood. Not realistic...at all!
As we only started watching this series of ER last night on E4, I thought I'd bump this thread and put my pennyworth's in.

I'm having my SAH in less than a fortnight and am very pleased that I don't rely on ER or dramas like it, for accurate information about what to expect. Abby has all that surgery and is then able to sit up straight and have a conversation. If anything, poor Luka was in worse shape, certainly mentally and possibly physically as well.

I know we only get a head and torso shot, but I didn't see that Abby was attached to many drip lines either - I've been told to expect to be attached to a catheter, a drip, a wound drain and a PCA at least overnight. The nurse at my pre-op told me that the PCA is loaded with morphine and it'll make me feel very drowsy. I certainly don't expect to be able to hold an adult conversation. I know it's only a drama, but if ER was your reference point, you'd come away with the impression that the world is full of silly women who make a fuss about nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2007, 02:10 PM

The nurses where I work (a health department) laugh at all the ridiculous mistakes the producers make. We are always horrified at them showing grieving friends and family brought in to say goodbye to a deceased loved one before the body has been cleaned up and had all the tubes removed.
Unread 01-06-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMab
The nurses where I work (a health department) laugh at all the ridiculous mistakes the producers make. We are always horrified at them showing grieving friends and family brought in to say goodbye to a deceased loved one before the body has been cleaned up and had all the tubes removed.
They do have medical advisors on such shows, and I think such scenes are the producers idea - probably think it's more dramatic or some such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2007, 05:07 PM

Oh yeah, I didn't figure any doctor or medical advisor with any sense would suggest some of the scenarios that take place. In fact, have you ever noticed how the ER docs NEVER look fatigued? And if they do, they still manage to look sexy? Nope, ER is definantly fantasy as apposed to realistic fiction! (Boy, wish we had any doctor look that good here! It might entice me to do routine physicals every year! LOL!)
Unread 01-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMab
Oh yeah, I didn't figure any doctor or medical advisor with any sense would suggest some of the scenarios that take place. In fact, have you ever noticed how the ER docs NEVER look fatigued? And if they do, they still manage to look sexy? Nope, ER is definantly fantasy as apposed to realistic fiction! (Boy, wish we had any doctor look that good here! It might entice me to do routine physicals every year! LOL!)
What, you mean I'm not going to wake up after my op, to find the lovely Greg, or the even more scrumptious Luka at the foot of my bed?? Drat and Double Drat!
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM

I was so "wacked out" from the anesthesia after my hyster, that I couldn't have told you WHO I spoke to in recovery. I'm pretty sure it was a nurse. I think she might have been female, but it could have been Hilary Clinton for all I knew at the time...(now for HER to visit the sick, that WOULD be a fairy tale!)
Unread 01-08-2007, 04:01 AM

I still love ER too, although I kind of agree with my DH that it's now getting tired after twelve (?) seasons. In the UK we had the first episode of Season 13 last week and I was very irritated to see Abby sitting in bed looking fairly together physically, although upset, explaining to Luka about her hyster. I remember saying something to my family about how I would be pleased if I looked as good as that after my op. Maybe the secret is having Luka at your bedside after the op (don't know if this can be arranged...lol)

I also love Nip/Tuck which starts again this week. Saw a quote from an English plastic surgeon where he said that the medical procedures on this programme are well depicted but he gets mad because Sean and Christian never scrub up properly!

Louise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register