Surgery in 5 days and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery in 5 days and scared Surgery in 5 days and scared

Unread 10-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Surgery in 5 days and scared

I am not to sure of abrivations. I am scheduled to have an abdominal H. on the 25 of October/06. My family is very supportive and my hubby is acting like a gem. But i have always had to be the brave and strong one in my family and am having a hard time expressing how scared i truly am. I guess i am just wondering if anyone else was and is terrified of having this done. Don't get me wrong i want it done, just terrified at the same time. And what should I really expect during my recovery? Also it may seem silly but what are staples like, I have never had anything but a few stitches in my life and am nervous about having any kind of staples in my lower abs. I know I am babbling, but any advice I can get from people who know what this is all about would be great. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2006, 04:18 AM

I am awaiting surgery as well but I too am scared to death. Like you I have always been and had to be the strong one in my family and I am worried that after surgery I won't be able to do it. However, I have read some great storys on this message board so I have faith all will go well for both of us! Good luck when you go to the castle!

Mystik
Unread 10-22-2006, 04:24 AM

Thank you and good luck to you as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2006, 04:33 AM

Hi! I am scheduled to have my TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) on Nov. 8th. I am also scared. It's perfectly normal. Coming here regularly has been a big help to me. Most of the "sisters" come by here when they get home and are able to sit up a few minutes and get online.. generally the messages are short but they let you know they are home, doing well and on the road to recovery. It's major surgery, but it is one with a great success rate.

As for staples... they are similar to the ones your hubby might use in those big staple/tack guns. They don't hurt any worse than stitches, they are easier to remove, and with the exception of them feeling really awful to the touch (and looking pretty intimidating), they are pretty amazing. I have had them in my back, and also in my bikini line. Normally, for abdominal surgery they also apply some tape like stuff, veritcally along the incision to help it heal. They will fall off on their own while showering etc.

I had 36 or 39 staples in my back, I dont remember for sure.... but the Dr used a pair of regular tweezer with blunt ends to pull them out one by one and I swear to you, I barely felt it. One of two of the lower ones had some thin skin grow over them so it pinched a bit.. but even still nothing like when they have to use scissors to cut the stitches.

Also, sometimes you don't have staples, they use glue and those steri-strips, with internal stitches. And sometimes, regular self-dissolving stitches.

I don't know if you will get a bikini line cut, or vertical cut and that will probably make a difference of what they use.

Keep asking questions, as you think of them. This is a great place for support. You will find both pre-op and post-op people here in the pre-op forum.

Good luck to you and best wishes for an easy time of it and quick recovery.

Unread 10-22-2006, 08:37 AM

All is true, this website is a Godsend. There is always someone out there with the same ?s or having the answers you need. my surgery is tomorrow and I am petrified. Just being here in one of my moments helps my through it. Don't be scared and don't read too many Post op Disscusions. The best advice comes from the sisters who come back to Pre op. Just remember, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Unread 10-22-2006, 09:16 AM

It seems we are all the backbone of our families. I am petrified of this surgery and unable to show my true feelings because I don't want to scare my kids. I asked my mom to be with me for two weeks after surgery to bring a sense of normalcy to their lives while I'm recovering. No DH or SO to help out so I'm pretty much on my own after that.

I am planning way ahead though because I've already asked my ex boyfriend to come and wrap Christmas presents and carry everything upstairs on Christmas Eve. Since he knows how important the holidays are for me, he has agreed to help.

I am so grateful for this site because here everyone understands where I'm coming from. The women are unbelievably supportive and always there to lend a kind word a big hug.

So you are not alone.
Unread 10-22-2006, 09:47 AM

I am 6 weeks post op, and I wanted to tell you I was so scared of having the surgery and I think most of us are, just a wreck over it.
I wish I could make that part go away, because after my surgery I had wished I did not spend so much time being so nervous. But its just part of it.
WIshing you a great recovery, make sure you come back and check in with us!

The waiting is the hardest part!
Unread 10-22-2006, 10:54 AM

I just had my surgery on 10/18 (LAVH and BSO). I am 59, healthy and
very active. I was truly freaked at the idea of the operation and the waiting was just awful. Now that I'm on the other side and with the support/questions/answers here, I have to say it was so much easier than I thought it would be. You really recover quickly after the 1st day or so. Do NOT forget to take your Gas-X to the hospital; they couldn't or wouldn't give me any when I forgot mine.
Best of luck. We'll talk to you on the other side! Don't worry! Chloe1
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:55 PM

Hi, I am almost 4 weeks into recovery. I was very scared before surgery, the support from this site was wonderful. My best advice is to follow all of your doctors instructions. The biggest problem I have had is being so tired, I do a little then rest awhile. I never had the problem alot of sisters have had with the gas and not being able to have a bm. I was in hospital for 4 nights and had wonderful people taking care of me, be sure to listen and do what your Doctor says. You don't need to be the brave one now, put your faith in God and you will be fine.
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:58 PM

Thank you everyone for saying such comforting things. I wouldn't have thought of the Gas-X but will for sure go pick some up. Thank you. I suppose this worring is a normal part of the process. It is unbelievable how a person can feel so many things at the same time. i am so excited to finally be getting it over with, all the pain and so on, but so scared I feel almost silly. lol Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register