Mammogram, tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mammogram, tomorrow Mammogram, tomorrow

Unread 10-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Angry - Mammogram, tomorrow Mammogram, tomorrow

I am so nervous. You would think that it was my first mammogram. everyone says it only hurts just a little.... not for me. The first time, the room spun around, I almost fainted, I had red welts and bruises on my breasts. I couldn't sleep on my sides for a week afterwards they were so sore and tender. The second time wasn't much better. No technician believes me when I tell her, they just think that I making this all up. My doctor did write on the requisition that I faint easy, but I am so anxious. I don't think I am going to be able to sleep tonight. I am now fifty, so I have to endure this torture every two years. I don't know how I am going to do this.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 08:51 PM
Mammogram, tomorrow

Hi Levanah!

You sound like me! I went three years without having a mammogram because of "pain issues." I called the mammo center and requested a technician who had experience and skill in dealing with patients like me, and they assigned me to a tech who had worked there giving mammograms for 30 years! I also got a prescription for Darvocet (a narcotic pain medication) from my doctor, and I took a tablet about an hour before the procedure. The combination of having a "gentler" technician and taking the pain medicine made the experience less painful for me than previous tests.

If you don't have any prescription pain meds to take ahead of time, you might want to try Advil or another over-the-counter drug. That's what one of my friends takes before hers. Just a thought.

Good luck to you!
Unread 10-23-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks

I have some Tylenol # 3 (with Codiene) that I plan to take before the mammogram. I am also going to ask if I can sit down during the test. I am sure it must be possible, as women who are in wheelchairs get mammograms too! I have a sleeping pill that I can take tonight if I can't sleep (should have taken it last night too, as I have been up since 2:30 am). Maybe I should see if I can eat something, I haven't been able to eat much today, been very nauseated. Thanks for letting me rant.

Levanah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Mammogram, tomorrow

Hi Levenah

I was worried about my recent mammo as I have fibrocystic breasts and a lot of hormonal activity so my breasts are really sore. I told the tech this and she said that she never compresses the breast more than a (( 6 )) as squashing the breast anymore doesn't give a better picture and you get a greater dose of radiation. I don't know what a 6 is exactly but it's a guide on the machine of how far down the breast plate goes.

I've had mammograms before that were really REALLY painful but this time it was fine, no pain at all The technician said it depends on the person performing the mammo... some of them will squash the breast as far a possible but it's just not necessary.

Let them know your breasts are sore and tell them what's worrying you and I'm sure they'll do everything possible to make sure it's as painless as possible.. Don't stress
Unread 10-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Mammogram, tomorrow

(((Levanah))) You might also ask if they have one of the new cushions that can be placed between your breast and the paddle. I understand this makes the compression much easier to tolerate, though I haven't used it myself.

Something you said struck me:
  Quote:
I am now fifty, so I have to endure this torture every two years. I don't know how I am going to do this.....
I am also fifty. I've had breast cancer twice now, both times detected in a mammogram. While I don't enjoy them, I would not give up my mammograms (which I get every 6 months). We all do what we have to do... to stay healthy for ourselves and our loved ones.

Best wishes today... hope everything comes out just fine.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, it over

I took my T3's, the tech was really good. The left side didn't hurt at all. And the right side was painful but not as bad as before. Still sore this evening, I forgot the icepacks at home. Everything was clear, so I am OK for another 2 years (or until my doctor sends me again). I should have gotten the name of the tech so I could have requested her the next time, she was really good.

levanah
Unread 10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Mammogram, tomorrow

Fantastic News !!!!

You can relax now

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register