Watched wore lipstick...anyone else?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Watched wore lipstick...anyone else?? Watched wore lipstick...anyone else??

Unread 10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Watched wore lipstick...anyone else??

Hello sistrers! I dont know where to start, I was watching I wore lipstick to my masectomy tonight..and altho I dont have breast cancer, I can relate to her story...I have stageIII Endometrial CCancer...Altho I have Stage II on my signature I guess I have to change it all..because pathology and explainations from my oncologist vs my Gyne..say 2c or 3a..whatever, I started my trial with Doxil40mg and cisplatin40mg...I feel horrible...JUST HORRIBLE...I have headaches, I get sick, my body aches..I cry a lot, because I feel so dersperate for it all to go away. Last week I have a breakdown, and shared on the post op side, thinking its all hormonal...but I am wondering if its gone further...after watching this movie, I see now all my thoughts and fears go beyond hormonal...it has to do with the ideas that maybe my husband wants more than I give him now, maybe I do have too much going on thats bigger than him & I now think that its just going to get bigger..UGHHh I have no clue why I am trying to talk ....but I am just at a lost....ANYONE??? go through this cycle?? HELP?? anyone at a lost??? THANKS>>>MIL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2006, 03:40 AM

Dear Mileena,

I also have stage III endo cancer and have just started chemo. Hell yes, I'm freaking out -- this is HARD. Like the majority of cancer patients, prior to starting chemo (and radiation to boot) I was feeling real healthy. Then you start treatment and you become a sick person. It's "counter-intuitive," as they say, or you could just call it CRAZY.

Yep, I've heard it all now -- being so sick means the chemo is killing the cancer (and the nerve sheaths, and the hair follicles, and the intestinal lining), just have gratitude, think positive, etc. Hey, this is all valid advice, but keep the sharp objects away from me next time someone tells me how wonderful treatment is.

Whoops, there I go being all negative again!! Seriously, it's all about balance. We really do have to try and look on the positive side, but let's not live in la-la land -- this chemo stuff really *****. And, of course, we really ARE lucky, because we could be a couple of women who couldn't even afford or get access to treatment of any kind, like the majority of cancer sufferers in the world.

Right now I'm busy being an insomniac, but later this morning (when normal people are awake) I'm having a home yoga session and then my cancer center is having "spa day." Maybe I really am lucky!

I'm pretty sure that all the women here who've been through chemo can understand where we are right now. My heart goes out to you.
Unread 10-24-2006, 06:48 AM

Hi Mileena,
I also watched the movie last night. I laughed, cried, and related with intenseness. Although I do not have breast cancer it did not matter. Cancer is cancer.
The only part that upset me was the fact that she was not given any anti nausea drugs. My favorite part however was that she was able to have a baby, and did.
I thought the movie was wonderful and I am sure that it will be playing on Lifetime station all month if not longer.
Like all of us, she is one strong woman.
Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2006, 07:19 AM

I watched most of it, then fell asleep. Darn it! I'm sure it will be replayed again knowing Lifetime.

I'm glad to read that she was still able to have a baby. I really liked how the story line was written with so much humor. Also, all of the commercials geared toward breast cancer were great.

My sister has battled breast cancer twice, so it's another subject that's near and dear to my

Unread 10-24-2006, 07:27 AM

I was trying to find that movie last nite I don't know why I could not. I saw the author and the star on the View and they were soo cool.
Anyway Mil, I don't have any advice to give you
just wanted to let you know I am here, and I care

Sending you hugs, love and prayers

Harley
Unread 10-24-2006, 10:13 AM

mileena
You had surgery about 6 weeks ago and are now taking chemo. If you are like most members here in Cancer Concerns, this all happened so fast. You probably did not have time to really think about what was happening, you did what you were told to do. Now, you have time to think about it all and then chemo treatments begin. The side affects from chemo make you feel yucky physically. The chemo is also a stark reminder that you are a cancer patient. No getting around that anymore. Facter in the surgical menopause and you and your body are going through lots right now.

It is time to take one step at a time, one day at a time. Talk with your Dr. about your mood swings and the chemo side affects. He should be able to give you things to at least lessen the affects of them. When we are feeling yucky, it is hard to think of chemo as our friend, but it really is.

Take time for yourself, maybe a spa day. A massage is great too. We as women are so much better at taking care of others, but now is the time to take care of ourselves.

s
Jane
Unread 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM

I had my chemo breakdown last week after my first treatment, so I get it. I've been so positive and strong all along and then the chemo seemed to take the life out of me. I felt like I couldn't go on, how do people stand this?!?!? The thought of feeling bad for months was overwhelming. I called the nurse oncologist, basically having a panic attack on the phone, and she just listened and talked to me for 15 minutes! She reassured me that what I was feeling was all normal, and promised me that I'd feel better soon. And then it got better in a couple of days, and today, one week later, I feel "normal" again. The phrase "one day at a time" has never meant so much to me.

As far as my DH goes, we're having some tough times but we'll get through it. We're only 6 months married, and we were thinking about getting pregnant. Now we're faced with never being able to have our own children, and oh yeah! I have cancer, ******!!!! It's a lot to digest. We actually found a therapist that we're seeing every other week, who just happens to be a breast cancer survivor. It's the best decision we ever made. We're ok, but I also have the same fears that she did in the movie last night! When she spoke about being afraid that she was "damaged goods" I felt like those words were swimming in my head and I never actually spoke them out loud.

Finding our therapist before things get out of hand has been great. It's nice having her to keep us in check, and she has made me feel a lot better knowing that she got through all of the chemo crap, and looks great only 2 years later.

Hang in there!!! You're not alone!!!

Unread 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM

My mom mentioned this movie to me. I saw previews for it. I decided not to watch it. I'm sorry, but even at this stage of the game I'm having a REALLY hard time finding anything positive in a cancer diagnosis. I had a hard enough time getting myself into the bathroom much less putting on makeup or getting dressed up!! So I decided not to watch it because I'm irritated that someone else had that willingness to smile through their mess.

Quote:
When she spoke about being afraid that she was "damaged goods" I felt like those words were swimming in my head and I never actually spoke them out loud.
I've felt like damaged goods for 5+ years now--the cancer diagnosis just confirmed it for me. Just kidding, it was kinda felt like 'no-you weren't damaged goods before, but NOW you are'...needless to say I'm afraid to think of myself as damaged goods because Lord knows I don't want to find out what else could happen!

Seriously, I'm trying to have a sense of humor about it all, but there were definate days where, if given the chance, I would've taken death over what was surrounding my head and heart. I didn't feel sick until treatment started. Even after the surgery I thought I was doing pretty good.

I have to agree with getting a counselor. There are times I want to hit mine because he'll say things that nobody else will say to me. (when I say I want to hide in bed he rolls his eyes and says "oh yes, because that will make this ALLLLLLL better" lol) He helps me refocus and gives me much needed "venting" time!
Unread 10-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Hi Mil,

I saw that movie. It was very inspirational. She also was on the Today show on Monday.

I am so sorry you and the others are having to endure this, but you are all strong women and will get through this.

I know how it feels. I was so shocked when my pathology report come back showing some of my precancer had already turned to cancer. But I was lucky..no further treatment. It was all contained.

You're right..cancer is cancer no matter how you look at it. Some of us get lucky and it's caught and cured with our hysters, others will endure chemo and radiation too. I don't know if mine will show back up or if it really was all gotten as claimed. I will wonder for a long time on that. But I have put my faith in God.

I wish you all the best..each of you going through this. You will get through this and be stronger for it. My prayers are with you all that God gives you all healing and comfort.
Unread 10-24-2006, 03:54 PM

I think how we view ourselves depends on where we are at in our lives at the time we are diagnosed and go through treatment. Some of us have more to work through than others when we are dealing with our cancer. Some seem to sail through everything with no problems. Others experience everything in between. What we experience and how we deal with things is what makes each of us unique. What is right for one of us may not be right for another. The important thing is that you deal with the things you are dealing with and not push the thoughts and feelings down. If that means getting help then get help.

If your husbands are giving you a hard time, then have them go to appointments with you. Have them ask the doctor their own list of questions. Involve them and they may have a change of attitude. Some husbands are never going to respond the way we want them too. We and they need to learn how to deal with this.

Many times we hear that if we are positive we will have an easier time. We can have a positive attitude and still struggle with things.

I think we all have had at least one time during our surgery/recovery/treatment where we have "lost it." Many of us have more than one time. Look at what we have been through.

I did not see the show that is referred to here and will have to look and see if it is going to be broadcast again and watch it.

s
Jane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register