Why is the recovery from a TAH so different from recovery following a c-section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why is the recovery from a TAH so different from recovery following a c-section? Why is the recovery from a TAH so different from recovery following a c-section?

Unread 10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Why is the recovery from a TAH so different from recovery following a c-section?

I've looked all over this site and have searched other ones, but I can't seem to find an answer. Why is recovery from a TAH so different than recovery from a c-section? C-section involves cutting into the abs, cutting uterus, removing a 'large object' and then sewing everything, inside and out back up, - right? Isn't that about the same as a TAH?

With my 2 c-sections, I wasn't told to relax and not vacuum or lift or bend. And, OK, I'm older now and don't have a new baby to cheer me up, but it seems to me that my tummy is much more sore and it's taking longer to get back to normal following the TAH than it did with the c-sections. Does anyone know why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Why is the recovery from a TAH so different from recovery following a c-section?

Probably the fact that so much more is being removed, and the time they spend in there. In my case, I had lymph node tissue removed for biopsies, and the omentum removed for biopsies and the risk of cancer having spread. (Fortunately, all was clean, but they poked around my insides big-time before sewing me up.) I never had a c-section, but my impression is that they're in, and they're out, pretty much. I think when you lie there for a while, opened up like a life-size game of Operation, the insult to your insides is much greater.
Unread 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM

I was told by my surgeon that the amniotic fluid protects you during surgery and helps you heal. Also, your body is prepared for shock at the end of pregnancy whereas a hyst is a big surprise to it.

Another reason is that you still have your uterus after a c section. It is more comparable to a myomectomy than a hysterectomy. Recovery from myomectomy is easier than hysterectomy. Don't forget removing the uterus involves a lot of pushing and pulling on all your abdominal organs and it is often your bladder and bowels that are responsible for a lot of your post operative pain after a hyst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM

My understanding is that with c-section, they only open your belly enough to take the baby....with TAH they have to open you much further to get to everything. Also, with TAH your "parts" are removed and numerous sites are sutured, not like c-section where you just have the small area on your uterus repaired. TAH is a far more involved procedure and everything that's left behind has to adjust itself within causing more discomfort. I wasn't prepared for so much pain with my SAH...I expected this to be more like my 3 c-sections...I was very surprised as to how sore I am. Hope this answers some of your questions....Happy healing!
Unread 10-25-2006, 12:40 PM

Couple of differences, just off the top of my head -

When you have a c-sec, you are having a baby, who really is a temporary "guest" removed. With a hyst, you are having body parts removed. And, body parts that aren't removed are moved around.

A couple of hours of general anesthesia (hyst) is much harder on your body than a local (c-section).

You can have hundreds of internal stitches after a hyst.

We usually have hysts because of ongoing medical problems, which are draining in and of themselves.
Unread 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM

I am with you carcarcar, I told my friends that I am shocked at how much harder this is than my c-sections... I was walking around the block within a few days of my sections! I agree with the above posts about the reasons and will add that I think each SUBSEQUENT abdominal surgery probably gets a bit harder... I know my 2nd section was tougher (both the surgery because of adhesions and the recovery) than the 1st one.
Unread 10-25-2006, 12:52 PM

Could some of it have to do with the hormones produced during pregnancy and lactation?
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:01 PM

My surgeon explained it to me quite simply ... "a baby is supposed to come out - the uterus isn't!"

A hysterectomy is major surgery, that is long and complicated. The same can't be said of a c-section.
Unread 10-25-2006, 01:03 PM

Thanks so much - all of you!! I had no qualms about having the TAH because I assumed it would be the same as the c-sections I had breezed through. What a nasty little surprise I got!! Anyway, I feel pretty good at 5 weeks so I'm not complaining. When the doctor gives me the go-ahead, I'm gonna do a happy-dance while I toss all of the sanitary supplies in a bag to be given to someone less fortunate. Thanks again.
Unread 10-25-2006, 06:16 PM

THIS has been the question burning my brain for the past 4 days!! I have been so bummed and disappointed in myself after 8 days. With my myomectomy (2000) and C section (2002), I was back in full swing easily after 8 days. And breastfeeding every 2 hours around the clock - on top of trying to recover:-)

I feel as though I have let myself down and others down because of this. Everyone (friends, family, coworkers, etc.) has been incredibly supportive, understanding and caring. I have no real reason to think I've let others down -- I still can't help but think that though...

Why not with the TAH?????

Thanks to you kind ladies, I have information and answers!! Just what I've been looking for. This is been amazingly comforting -- at least others have had similar experiences.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register