caring for kids while recovering? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

caring for kids while recovering? caring for kids while recovering?

Unread 10-25-2006, 01:45 PM
caring for kids while recovering?

I am curious about those who have kids at home and how they are managing caring for the kids and caring for themselves?

I have two boys, ages 7 and 5, and they are a LOT of work! They are so active and exuberant! When they are home my stress level triples - and forget about taking care of myself - they are need factories: food, homework, attention, messes, etc.

I've tried hiring young teens to come over for an hour or so after school, but because they don't mind the sitters, and they still come to me with questions it isn't helping at all.

Any of you dealing with young children and have tips?

On the positive, I've had to ask for their help with many tasks that I normally do - I even had the 7 year old climb on top of the dryer and lie on his belly to pull out the clothes in the washer and hand them to the 5 year old who stooped to put them in the dryer! What team work! I praise them alot for their help and they're really sensitive to Mommy's recovery, but it'd help if I could run them at the Park every couple of days! Maybe I should hire a dog-walker to walk them? LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM

I have friends come over when DH isn't home to help me with my three year old boy. I simply can't do it by myself. If you have friends and family, now is the time to call in favors. I hated to do it. But I must. It is impossible to do on my own!
Unread 10-25-2006, 02:03 PM

i had my op last year, my daughters were 6 and 2. it was hell. i had to call in all favours. you need to try and take it easy, i know this easier said than done. i started doing little things for myself fairly soon after the op, i soon learnt if i had overdone it the day after. all i can suggest is try and get the kids as involved with everday chose as much as possible. Make it a game. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks Laurie and Angie... I have asked for help, but don't feel like I can call in anymore... we are new to the area and no family here. The few who've helped me out know that I need help and I can return the favor - I'm sure they're thinking, "She's surely better by now!" And next week DH is out of town! Yikes
Unread 10-25-2006, 05:45 PM

M- I thought that too, but when I went back in the hospital, I had to ask AGAIN and everyone was more than willing to help. Women, especially, GET IT! They know how hard it is. And they know you can pay it forward. I don't know could you buy some movie passes, bookstore coupons, etc and say thank you with those for people who help twice? It doesn't hurt to ask. Let them say no rather than you saying no for them without even asking. If the situation were reversed, you would help out, I know it! Give them a chance to be nice too!!!
Unread 10-25-2006, 06:10 PM

I've got a 2.5yo and a 14mo old...and it's hard! My mom is here until the 28th (which is just a little under 3 weeks post op) and I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I guess beg MIL to come over. All of my family is 1000 miles away and can't ask anyone else to come help..and I don't have any friends (or at least, not any close enough to ask a favor of). My orders are to not lift any more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks...so, for 3 weeks by myself, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with a 38 lber and a 25 lber. As far as laundry, I've taken pieces out one at a time (or close, depending on how heavy the item) and put them on the bed for me to fold. Household chores I think I can pretty much handle (going 1 thing at a time, ya know)...but it's the kids that I don't know what I'm going to do with..as far as putting them in bed, putting them in high chairs, putting them in carseats, etc etc. My 2.5yo can pretty much do anything and sometimes he'll help if I need something, but my 1yo can't!

Good luck
Unread 10-25-2006, 07:02 PM

I am right there with you. Jenelle - thought for you - stay home so you don't have to deal w/the carseat, buy a booster seat for the floor so you don't have to p/u your one yo and good luck. I too have a 2 yr. old (40 lbs worth) and its impossible to avoid lifting him. When they fall asleep in the car and you have to take them inside or when they fall down and "momhood" kicks in before you think. Anyone with any ideas on retraining my brain, let me know! Maryanne - are your kids in school? If so, my only idea for you is LAY AROUND ALL DAY, take a pain pill as soon as they get home, and go to bed as soon as they do. Good luck ya' all.
Unread 10-25-2006, 07:12 PM

I dunno, but my brain needs retraining too....I'll do something without even thinking because it's like breathing for me, ya know? It's hard that's for sure.
Unread 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM

I give all you girls credit who have this surgery and have to care for small children. My two are grow up. I just can't imagine how you all do it..really I don't.

All I can say is I'm so proud of you Moms all. You're doing a great job recovering and tending to the kids.

Good night and sweet dreams.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Unread 10-25-2006, 07:20 PM

Wow. I can completely relate. My boys are 3 and 5, and they're balls of energy. We've been doing lots of "quiet" activites like computer learning cd roms, coloring, legos, reading books, building railroad tracks, etc. One fun activity you could do before they get home is to hide pennies all over your living room, and have them go on a treasure hunt when they get home. My boys love it, and I can lay on the sofa and watch 'em search! The more you hide, the longer it takes.

Hang in there! I hear it gets better . . . .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register