"Peeing" after surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Peeing" after surgery! "Peeing" after surgery!

Unread 05-25-2001, 07:22 PM
"Peeing" after surgery!

After my laparoscopy in January, I found the worst thing was how badly I had to 'pee' when I woke up. After a hysterectomy, how do they deal with this issue? I can't imagine leaping up, as I did after my lap., and shuffling down to the bathroom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2001, 07:26 PM
"Peeing" after surgery!

You get a catheter inserted while you're asleep and they take it out later when you're ready to pee on your own. You'll probably even take a few walks with the catheter in.

It doesn't hurt to remove it.
Unread 05-25-2001, 07:29 PM
"Peeing" after surgery!

Hi!

Good question. Most of the time, a Foley catheter is used to drain your bladder for you. This is put in after you are asleep in the OR, and usually stays in place for 24 hours or so. Most of the time you are barely aware of it, there's a long tube which empties into a bag at the side or end of your bed. You are not aware of the need to urinate, and if it's working properly you don't even know it's doing its thing!

This gets you past the first 24 hrs...it's good to sleep without worrying about that. After it comes out, you will pee on your own...how long that takes depends on how your bladder is waking up, how much you drink (drink LOTS), etc. They usually measure your urinary output for a few hours to make sure everything's working.

Don't worry about it...it's actually a good thing!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2001, 07:31 PM
"Peeing" after surgery!

How in the world do you walk with a catheter in? Sounds VERY uncomfortable. I'm scheduled for June 18 surgery (TVH/BSO with AP repair).
Unread 05-26-2001, 04:36 AM
"Peeing" after surgery!

Kassie, Your nurses will help you for your first walk. Most likely you will still have your IV in at that time. They will take the bag and wrap on that IV post. It is on wheels and you will be able to walk with it. It will not hurt and if it did for any reason you would tell your nurse so they could make sure it is functioning correctly. Diane
Unread 05-26-2001, 07:17 AM
"Peeing" after surgery!

I had the pleasure of walking with a catheter in. I had some problems and had to have it put back in, and I already had the IV taken out. So, lucky me, I got to carry my urine bag by the handle, just like a purse! It was the perfect ensemble to go with my glamorous backless gown.

The catheter has a balloon that is inflated once it's in, so it can not come out. And part of the tubing is taped to your thigh, so it doesn't get tangled up. It's not the best thing, but it isn't so bad.
Unread 05-26-2001, 08:58 AM
"Peeing" after surgery!

I, too, got to walk around carrying my urine bag with its own built in plastic handle (for hanging on the side of the bed). You feel really stupid but nobody notices or cares. The morning after surgery, a nurse came to remove my catheter and she had a syringe in her hand. I think I levitated off the bed a couple of inches because I thought she was going to give me an injection - IN THERE! I said, "What are you going to do with THAT?" She laughed and said, "OH, it's just for taking the liquid out of the balloon so the cath can be removed." I think she removed about 5 syringes of liquid (what the balloon is inflated with to help hold cath in), said to inhale then blow it out my mouth and when I blew out, she removed the cath. No pain. No big deal.

Hugs,
Miranda
Unread 05-26-2001, 09:28 AM
"Peeing" after surgery!

After reading what Karen said, I am curious. The nurse on the surgical floor, where I had my bladdersling operation was reviewing procedure with me , prior to surgery. She told me I would feel like I had to pee with the cathater in, but just to lay there and ignore it, it was suppose to feel that way. Sure enough, when I woke up, I felt like I had to pee and tried to ignore it.
Drove me nuts, that feeling, but I guess things could have been worse. Did anyone else have that feeling?
Unread 05-26-2001, 10:44 AM
"Peeing" after surgery!

Yes, I did feel like I had to pee the whole time the catheter was in. Very strange feeling, and it drove me nuts, too!
Unread 05-26-2001, 10:56 AM
"Peeing" after surgery!

I have just one thing to say about the thought of going for a stroll with a catheter in.....

YEEEEOOOOUUUCCCH!

I wanna stay in bed with mine...but I guess I won't be the boss, huh?

sistasassy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register